Natural Farming practices insure Bees survival and possibly ours.
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default Natural Farming practices insure Bees survival and possibly ours.

I was made aware of this site by one of the members who is a friend of mine with similar interests.
    My purpose for getting involved is to share observations and experiences that may contribute to the continued overall health of our Planet.
    Healthy Soil to Healthy Plants to healthy Bees to healthy Body to Healthy Mind to Healthy Spirit...
    That's pretty much it... I'm no expert; there are no experts; only people who are willing to share their experiences and get past their Egos.
    Let's talk... Better yet let's inspire and encourage each other into actions...
    Sincerely,
    thinkpink

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Natural Farming practices insure Bees survival and possibly ours.

Healthy profits are unhealthy to plants, bees, body, spirit, mind, and the planet yet our govt. insists there must be healthy profits. (to tax)
    Thus the many conflicts between our (natural) world and theirs.
    Internet credibility is an oxymoron

Welcome!
    americasbeekeeper.com
    [email protected]

According to the professors that teach Natural Farming at the University of Hawaii; Natural Farming practices are less expensive than conventional
    farming when you add up the costs of commercial fertilizer, insecticides, herbicides and all other inputs... Reducing inputs generally reduces yields, at least temporarily. For example: reducing your inputs say by 40% reduces yield by 20 to 30% gives you a 10% profit on the end. And after the first year as your soil's
    health recovers your yield steadily increases. My potatoes planted conventionally(10 to 12 inches apart in rows 3 feet apart) yield at a minimum, 25.75 pounds per 1 pound planted(2oz.seed pieces).
    Documented for 2 years on my YouTube channel, from lawn clippings only. No other inputs except water and sunshine. And I have noticed a negative affect on yield when the seed pieces were planted in anger. Go figure... thinkpink

Quote Originally Posted by thinkpink View Post
    And I have noticed a negative affect on yield when the seed pieces were planted in anger. Go figure... thinkpink
    Now this is interesting. I was mad as hell this year when I planted tomatoes and we had our best crop ever. Perhaps tomatoes respond differently to mood than potatoes do? Maybe more research is in order. I wonder if I could get a government grant?

The issue is not if natural farming is possible, the issue relates to how many people can you feed with your potatoes grown naturally. Their are literally millions of people in the world starving to death. Modern farming to feed mass urban populations who produce no food requires mega farms. Any time you plant or place a species in overpopulation in a confined area, animal or vegetable, it will succumb to the millennial old natural cures for such affliction, namely pestilence, disease or starvation. This makes "natural" and farming oxymoron's in this mordern world we have created. Until we return to a predominately agrarian society or stop investing in I phone technology and into farm technology the chemicals and methods we love to hate will continue to feed us. I get to interact with a lot of smart people developing urban gardening, organic gardening and hydroponics. Our bees are working hard at Growing Chefs Rooftop Garden in Brooklyn. Until I stood there and looked at all the mind boggling logistics of soil weight, hauling compost, water etc. I had no idea. It is a long, long haul from here to there without a great deal of necessary financial backing.

If we as consumers continue to buy our foods from others we will gravitate towards cheaper and less nutritious foods...(even if we are not aware of it). And true we as well as our environment will continue to be exposed to a multitude of chemicals that we know very little about and or their health a
    My suggestion is to self-educate and be aware of the nutritional aspects of what we are eating and or what we could be eating. And Grow Your Own Foods. For example: Please look up Lambs quarters and you may be surprised at the nutrition in a plant that is very common to most of our gardens and is routinely pulled out between our vegetable crops and either thrown away and or composted as a common WEED. The first crop of the year is the weeds that I pull. Blanched and frozen I have greens for the winter. If a city dweller you can grow food on your balcony in containers... Even sprouts from seeds will double the food value of the grains you choose and cut your food bill. If you have a lawn you could till up part of it and grow food instead. Check out Ron Finley on YouTube, gorilla gardener South central LA. Sorry... long-winded... must sleep now... thinkpink

My daughter was trying to finish planting potatoes and instead of planting 10 to 12 inches apart she had crowded the seed pieces within 2 inches of each other. I asked her to replant them correctly before she could go and visit a friend... She was mad at the potatoes. I'd be willing to guess that as you were planting your tomatoes your anger was not directed at the tomatoes... thinkpink

Quote Originally Posted by Joel View Post
    The issue is not if natural farming is possible, the issue relates to how many people can you feed with your potatoes grown naturally. Their are literally millions of people in the world starving to death. Modern farming to feed mass urban populations who produce no food requires mega farms. Any time you plant or place a species in overpopulation in a confined area, animal or vegetable, it will succumb to the millennial old natural cures for such affliction, namely pestilence, disease or starvation. This makes "natural" and farming oxymoron's in this mordern world we have created. Until we return to a predominately agrarian society or stop investing in I phone technology and into farm technology the chemicals and methods we love to hate will continue to feed us. I get to interact with a lot of smart people developing urban gardening, organic gardening and hydroponics. Our bees are working hard at Growing Chefs Rooftop Garden in Brooklyn. Until I stood there and looked at all the mind boggling logistics of soil weight, hauling compost, water etc. I had no idea. It is a long, long haul from here to there without a great deal of necessary financial backing.
    I suggest that you take a look at what Joel Salatin is doing, might just give you some different ideas, or Gabe Brown for that matter.

http://www.polyfacefarms.com/

https://www.facebook.com/Browns-Ranc...4498/timeline/

If all of us knew everything... then our bees would not be dying... we would have taken steps to resolve those issues.
    Concerning the Human Deaths by starvation as reported by Worldometers.info at around 25,000 per day(most of which are children); I would say this:
    If all the 10,000 plus members of this forum combined all their resources(bank accounts, savings, money in their pockets and the shirts off their backs)
    we could fly food into one country and possibly save 1000 men, women and children... Temporarily I might add... What we would have accomplished is to create a small town of DEPENDENTS... The permanent solution is to help and teach them to GROW THEIR OWN FOODS. Teach a man to fish... so to speak.
    My response is directed to our collective consciousness in the hope that together we can all discuss and formulate constructive sustainable solutions. Using available local resources such as rain traps, lawn clippings, compost and redirecting(and utilizing) waste streams are just a few permanent suggestions... Let's not make this discussion about individuals and what they know or don't know... Instead let's collaborate our efforts both in discussions and ACTIONS towards permanent solutions. thinkpink

Many such lofty ideas are best entertained on full stomachs. The thin veneer of civilization disappears quickly when it is rubbed by harsh reality. Wouldnt it be nice if man was of an inherently co-operative nature rather than tribalistic and competitive. Thinking in pink has a big job ahead of it, methinks!
    Frank

All the more reason to teach people to GROW THEIR OWN FOODS. Rather than create dependents.
    They will have no need to wait for handouts or to raid their neighbors... How's that? A journey of 1000 miles starts with a single step.
    I started sharing observations about growing foods more than 3 years ago... You can start your self-awareness by looking up NASA/Earth's
    statement on "the largest irrigated crop in America". Then get on board with your own ACTION. For those who wish to communicate further to the Sustainable Solutions, you can find me... I'm not hiding. And for those of you that wish to only continue to stroke your own Egos; TAKE ACTION... At least solve your own food security issues... Or you are just part of the PROBLEM. In the old days thinking pink meant to seek perfection. Sorry to say I didn't find it here... thinkpink

reason to teach people to GROW THEIR OWN FOODS.
    Huh, the Jeffersonian ideal of the small holder, tending his crops at the edge of the wilderness.

Modern society, for better or worse, has specialized labor. It has rationalized farming to consume a ever-smaller share of the workforce. The freed labor has invented transistors, computers, fiber optic cable and the internet. These products consume an ever-larger share of the workforce -- and this decision is the free will of billions of consumers. An return to the pre-industrial division of labor implies a return the pre-industrial level of technology.

You can't have a free lunch of organic veggies or of free internet simultaneously. Every decision has its costs, and a unicorns and rainbows vision of medically-unaflicted peasants tilling their small plots while simultaneously posting pictures of their aphid-free broccoli with their hand-held phones is just another utopian pipe dream.
    Last edited by JWChesnut; 10-01-2015 at 11:07 AM.

...teach people to GROW THEIR OWN FOODS

The majority of young people I know these days wouldn't even cook their own food if the fresh ingredients were on the counter, let alone try to grow it. Unless there's a phone app where they can just type in "cheeseburger" and it magically appears they simply aren't interested.

I've got a small garden plot that supplies about... 1% of our food. It's a LOT of work and folks that have a real 40+ hour a week job aren't likely to have the time or energy to grow enough for even 10% of their families needs even if they had the space for it.
    It's a cute idea but not very realistic in the real world.

Welcome to Beesource, thinkpink!
    Are you planning on becoming a beekeeper?

JWC has posted above a {harsh} analysis above that is hard to deny, as far as it goes. Certainly it is not possible for the average USA resident to grow/raise the bulk of their own food, no matter how good their intentions may be.

However, every backyard beekeeper has the opportunity to grow all of at least one of their own food items - honey.
    Graham
    USDA Zone 7A Elevation 1400 ft

I started sharing observations about growing foods more than 3 years ago...
    You'd learn more in 1 week traveling with me to the small farms near my apiaries than you have in those 3 years
    of sharing your observations about growing food.
    A good dose of reality, complete with financials, production records and work loads of these 'new farmers' that think they are 'revolutionizing' food production will have you whistling a different tune.

The point of this thread is to point out a few things like how "natural Farming" is an oxymoron for one.
    (someone pointed that out, thank you)

What's natural about tilling the earth and planting seeds of our choice and allowing a monoculture in a field, no matter how big or small? (It is not natural) Nature doesn't know what a furrow is.

I'm of the Jeffersonian, Libertarian type of view and what is wrong with going back to the way things were done before with such great success?

Well...

The bankers, insurance salesmen, and the lawyers, CEO's with private jets all depend on this new industrialized system to generate the enormous wealth they have to control...CONTROL being the key word.

Imagine a future where you have to provide for yourself. (HAVE TO PROVIDE FOR YOURSELF, say that 6 times)
    Can you do it?

Imagine being happy, self-sustaining, proud of what you did but there's one little problem. Those people who don't produce anything...the lawyers, bankers, industrialists, CEO's, Insurance ppl...who will care for them when they are no longer required? That's blasphemy to them.

We're being controlled in such a way as to enrich "some"...that's un-American imo. It's the devil.

Here's an example of how the devil works.
    Here in Champaign there's a charity who wanted to pass out hot sandwiches at the bus station. Seems harmless but when they started doing it the main street restaurants all raised **** and called the food inspector to shut the van down over health violations which really weren't a problem. The perceived unfair competition was the big deal. Had nothing to do with food safety. The van upgraded and they found another reason to not allow them to give away free food. This went on three times. The van would do whatever the rules said, re-appear, then the rules would get changed. That's just how it works in this nation.
    Internet credibility is an oxymoron

Here is a link to a group that is doing just what you are talking about. My wife and I took a tour of their place in Fort Myers FL last year.

http://echonet.org/global-farm-tours/

I never wanted this to be about me... Our World problems are more important to solve than whether or not I whistle a different tune.
    This isn't about money; it's about sharing, learning and doing. Harsh statements don't change the Truths. Our food system that most people rely on doesn't
    supply the needed nutrition for our bodies to remain healthy and to heal ourselves. The effects that all the chemicals that are being used have on us and your(our) bees is no doubt one of the most important topics that the majority of this forums membership are concerned about. Let's go back to sharing information and creating sustainable solutions Please... For those of you who still feel the need to attack the idea of teaching people to grow their own foods, check out my YouTube channel, and others that are seriously promoting inexpensive, sustainable methods which also include bees. FYI... As far as my farming experience, I started farming for B.L.(Pat) Davis the summer of 1964 in Adams, Oregon pitching windrows back for the pea combines... So they wouldn't have to back up to make the corners. I have missed two seasons because of military service only... I'm 63 now; You do the math... thinkpink

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast