Re: Impact of location on treatment-free beekeeping...
1. hardiness zone;
2. how long you have been treatment free;
- 3 years, had up to 9 hives
3. what success (or lack thereof) you have seen;
- 50% survival (lost several to mice two years in a row, should have ordered mice excludes by now)
4. any peculiarities of your local geography or climate that you think influence your bees or your beekeeping, and the ways in which it has influenced them.
- Hot and humid summer
In my experience, the bees survive just as well regardless if you treat them or not, so why would I want to go through extra work? It seems that breading from the survival stock and introducing occasional diversity is of more benefit than treating. I have lost 50% of the packages I bought, but the ones that have survived first year have more chances of survival the following year and so on.
4 yr, TF, zone 7b, 5 colonies.