Where did 90% of my bees go? - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Where did 90% of my bees go?

Quote Originally Posted by kinggroucho View Post
    i was hoping with a warre hive i could just leave them be and everything will be cool.

j.

Hi, I just saw this thread. I'm a little north of you.
    It has been my experience the last 6 years that you cannot 'leave them be' and all will be well. Not around here. You can have a wonderful booming hive one week and nothing the next.
    It was a bitter lesson I learned when I got back into beekeeping.

You will definitely need to figure out a way to deal with the mites and keep an eye on the brood health. Now I am using OAV for the mites.

Sorry to hear about your hive.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

I wanted to complete the thread here with an update on the hive. I was out of town for work for a week, and when I came back, the hive had been totally robbed. I had a feeling that would happen.

So the hive is completely dead or absconded, but look what I just found laying amongst the dead yellowjackets and bees on the screened bottom board:
    IMG_1980.jpg

I have no idea if this is the original queen or not, as the original was not marked. It blows my mind that there was a queen in there, so if any of you are able to put together the pieces of the puzzle I've laid out in this thread, please tell me what you think happened here because I'm totally confused.

Thank you to all who tried to assist me and my hive. I do intend to get more bees in the Spring, but how frustrating this initial year has been.

j.

Quote Originally Posted by kinggroucho View Post
    it's gotta be mite collapse though.

I was hoping with a warre hive i could just leave them be and everything will be cool.
    Sadly, you're neither the first nor the last to get drawn into this. Don't be too hard on yourself. Move forward with knowledge and a plan.
    Good luck.
    Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted. - Emerson

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12