Frustrated with honey gates! Help!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Frustrated with honey gates! Help!

I have been bottling a lot of honey this year. It's been a fabulous honey production year for us but I have gotten to where I dread bottling because of the stupid honey gates! I have bought them already in the bucket, installed them myself, had my hubby install them, gotten them from many different companies, and they are all [email protected]! During bottling, they leak from every which way (sometimes even when closed), especially if the bucket is really full. Is there any brand or alternative out there? Or, do I just need to suck it up and deal with crumby honey gates and be thankful for such a big harvest? Help, please! Any suggestions welcome!
    South Florida, 9 hives, TF, foundation free, slatted racks, bottom entrances, zone 10b

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Frustrated with honey gates! Help!

I just bought 2 from mann lake that are of a different construction (yellow plastic with all metal hardware). I hope they will be less prone to the screw freezing. I have not used them yet
    Sometimes the lights all shining on me
    Other times I can barely see. -The Grateful Dead

I have bought the cheapest I could find on ebay. 1st thing I do is install them in my bucket and spray those valve threads with PAM.
    After installation I spray the o-rings and gate surfaces to make sure they are lubricated. Then I will eyeball and adjust the hinge nut and bolt and the latch nut and gate until I have equal gate along the gasket surfaces. Never ever over tighten bolts and nuts and bend the gate.
    When beginning to fill my container I loosen the latch side bolt just enough for push up on the gate. Doing this i also push in on the gate to be sure it seals against the o-rings. I never ever take my hand off the gate handle and am always pressing in. When the container gets almost full I pinch back and top the container off with a small flow until full than I close the gate and tighten up the nut with just enough force to keep it from dripping.
    If a drip begins to form wipe it off before you place the next container under the gate.

I to had aggravation and problems but after studying how the gates are made i came up with the method above.

Once you become accustomed to the function of the gate it gets extremely easier to use. And most of the time no leaks or drips.

Maxant No Drip Valve. Better on a tank than bucket. It sounds like you've spent enough already on cheap gates to cover its cost.
    Adam - Zone 5A
    www.adamshoney.com

I think the problem is in the design. With my Mann Lake ones the drip occurs most frequenly on the left. As I fill one container I have the second one in my hand. I catch the drip in the second one and then remove the filled one and put the second one in its place. I also use the second one to break the "tail" of honey that comes from the bucket as the first one is removed. I believe it is helpful to minimize the time that the valve is closed between containers as this is when the ooze builds up on the outside of the valve.
    My most popular container is a 5 pound pour jug and so as I am only opening and closing that 11 times a pail. Thus I am not encountering the sticky torment at the frequency you are.

My Maxant "no drip" valve has dripped since new. I used the Kelly valve successfully for several years prior to purchasing the Maxant. Either way get a bottling valve. The right tool for the job makes life easier.

I can't really imagine using a maxant valve with a plastic 5 gallon pail...it would put too much force on the pail.
    Sometimes the lights all shining on me
    Other times I can barely see. -The Grateful Dead

Quote Originally Posted by deknow View Post
    I can't really imagine using a maxant valve with a plastic 5 gallon pail...it would put too much force on the pail.
    You would definitely need to put a lid and weight on the pail.
    Adam - Zone 5A
    www.adamshoney.com

I think if you are bottling the volume of jars where the honey gate is becoming a real pain, then its time to invest in a stainless tank and bottling valve. Both would last your lifetime and it wouldn't be hard to sell these for 1/2 to 3/4 of the new price at a later date. You get what you pay for.
    Adam - Zone 5A
    www.adamshoney.com

Anyone have experience with the "Perfect Gate" from Brushy Mountain? If so, what is the verdict?

515.png

I believe I know of a better valve that our family used in the '40s. I hope they are still available. It is basically a fast acting internal gate valve. On Tuesday I will look for the name.

Crazy Roland

I bought a few honey gates from Dadant and installed them myself and never had a problem. Any honey that gets outside the valve while you're opening and closing it will drip, and that's it. One key thing I do is barely tighten the nut that holds the gate shut, I read that somewhere, maybe their instructions, I don't remember, regardless their valves have never leaked on me in the past 4 years when holding 70+ # of honey in the 5 gallon bucket. And they're just the generic, plastic gates Dadant sells for cheap. All I can think is maybe get a stainless steel settling tank and get a nice valve. That's what I'm shooting for
    Zone 5 @ 4700 ft. High Desert

Quote Originally Posted by BeeAttitudes View Post
    Anyone have experience with the "Perfect Gate" from Brushy Mountain? If so, what is the verdict?

515.png
    It's a big improvement over the comon entry-level gate, maybe a drip after every fourth or fifth bottle. But with mine, in order not to leak over time, the tension screw needs to be cranked down to where the action is pretty stiff. Hard for fine control, like filling 2oz bears. I believe the metal version would be better.
    Buy the ticket, take the ride. -H.S. Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by cg3 View Post
    It's a big improvement over the comon entry-level gate, maybe a drip after every fourth or fifth bottle. But with mine, in order not to leak over time, the tension screw needs to be cranked down to where the action is pretty stiff. Hard for fine control, like filling 2oz bears. I believe the metal version would be better.
    By metal version, do you mean a metal version of the "Perfect Gate" of Brushy Mountain's stainless steel version of a traditional 1 1/2" honey gate (the one below)?

195.png

On the Perfect Gate, seems they should have tapered the bottom of the opening in a "V" so the flow width is reduced as you close the gate. That would give you better control of flow to avoid overfilling small bottles.

I use the yellow plastic honey gate that comes from Mann Lake already on the pail. I may get a drip every 20 bottles or so. The dog doesn't mind the drip that ends up on the floor. She actually looks forward to it. lol

I wonder how this chrome plated, brass honey gate from Mann Lake compares to the stainless steel version from Brushy Mountain?

hh600_2_270x180.jpg

do you mean a metal version of the "Perfect Gate" of Brushy Mountain's stainless steel version of a traditional 1 1/2" honey gate?
    I've not used either, but I'm thinking the metal 'Perfection' gate would be pretty good.

Do you have a link to the metal version of the "Perfect Gate"? I've not found it. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Beeman View Post
    I use the yellow plastic honey gate that comes from Mann Lake already on the pail. I may get a drip every 20 bottles or so. The dog doesn't mind the drip that ends up on the floor. She actually looks forward to it. lol
    My little doggie patiently sits and watches the drip pan until I'm done bottling. My grandmother doesn't can anymore but she puts lids on and wipes the jars down for me so I let her have first go at the pan, then the dog cleans up what ever is left or hit the floor lol
    Zone 5 @ 4700 ft. High Desert

a link to the metal version of the "Perfect Gate"?
    https://www.dadant.com/catalog/produ...roducts_id=383

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast