Found a yellow jacket nest. Best way to destroy?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Found a yellow jacket nest. Best way to destroy?

Well well well... I found a yellow jacket nest this evening. They've been raising hell with the bees but I've been unable to locate any nests until this evening. I know there's more but... one at a time.

It's in kind of an awkward location in a rotten old retaining wall. It's not a good location for the "kill it with fire" technique. Too bad. I like the Kill It With Fire method.

I can shoot a can of poisonous liquid death in the hole. Not sure if that will get them or not. I've had mixed results doing that.

I'm thinking about trying the "glass jar" method of covering the hole with a clear glass bottle so they can't figure out how to escape but it's kind of an awkward place for that also. I might be able to shove the neck of a clear beer bottle in the hole and seal it with clay or mud.

Any other suggestions on how to exterminate them?

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Found a yellow jacket nest. Best way to destroy?

Find a local exterminator who sells "Apicide" powder. Shoot some powder into the entrance at night when they are all inside. They will track the powder in and the entire colony will be eliminated within a few days.
    To everything there is a season....

Muriatic Acid works great

I just read this- never tried it.

So I started researching non-toxic solutions. Through my online reading, I learned that mint oil can kill almost any insect, and that yellow jackets also don’t like soapy or boiling water… We happened to have a quart-size container of Dr. Bronner’s “magic” organic peppermint castile liquid soap in the house. The bottle was only half full, so we filled the rest of it up with water to make it a 50% diluted quart. Then we waited ‘til it was almost dark outside (this is the only time you should ever deal with yellow jackets, as they’re all inside the nest and inactive at night). We poured the quart down the nest’s entry hole (it’s best to do this with an extension device, like a hose or a gas can or watering can, to keep your body further from the nest opening — and you should also wear protective clothing). We immediately followed that up by pouring in a kettle full of boiling hot water, which washed the mint oil further down into the nest. We didn’t see a single yellow jacket emerge from the nest that night, and we haven’t seen any around here since. It worked!

RECIPE

1/2 quart (2 cups) Dr. Bronner’s organic peppermint castile soap, diluted with
    1/2 quart (2 cups) water [poured into the nest via a hose or watering can with a long nozzle]
    Followed by 1 tea-kettle full (approx. 1 quart or 4 cups) of boiling water

Bear in mind that it’s possible that boiling soapy water would work on its own, without adding any mint oil. Likewise, mint oil might work without using boiling water. I haven't tried it that way, so I’m not sure. If you’re worried about killing plants or flowers around the nest, you might want to try a highly-diluted mint oil solution and forego the use of boiling water.

I would shove a flexible funnel into the entrance and pour about 2 cups of diesel into it.... then seal it up with mud or a wet rag.

Last time i killed a yellow jacket nest i used starting fluid, because that's what i had at the time. The ether did them in good.

Kind of a cool place for a nest if they weren't what they are.

What if you put a few alcohol soaked cotton balls in the beer bottle you want to shove in the hole? We all used to catch bugs in a baby food jar with alcohol, right? Then pin them to cardboard. That might work.
    -- Joe
    "Make your own decision and embrace the consequences." -- jwcarlson

Go to your local hardware and get a can of Seven vegatable dusting powder. Pour over entrance. Your problem will be over in a couple days.

The last time I was swarmed by yellow jackets out of a nest that was similar to yours, I got the can of spray, sprayed it into the hole. Problem was over.

I try not to kill things, but those suckers hurt worse than a bee sting and they don't stop.

Skunks love to dig them up and eat the nest.
    Zone 6b: 27 hives in Maryland, Carniolan, Italian mix mutts: Still learning - started bees spring of 2014.

Plus 1 on seven

I think the "fire" technique is a misunderstanding of the "gasoline" technique. You put a tablespoon or so of gasoline in the hole and walk away. DO NOT LIGHT IT! It will be less effective if you do and there are the obvious dangers as well. But soap water is almost as effective. It just takes longer and puts you at a bit more risk if you don't have protective equipment. But since you DO have protective equipment (or should) wear that, fill a spray bottle with about half dawn liquid and half water, or bubble blowing solution and spray them down.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 42y 40h 39yTF

2 cups of dawn dish water soap and a gallon water -sprayer --work just as good as any thing U can buy

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Bush View Post
    I think the "fire" technique is a misunderstanding of the "gasoline" technique. You put a tablespoon or so of gasoline in the hole and walk away. DO NOT LIGHT IT!
    Oh you're no fun! The fire is the best part! But since California is already burning to the ground and I don't want to be the next news story I refrained from using fire this time.

Thanks everyone for all the suggestions.
    The location and the horizontal opening pretty much rule out the possibility of pouring any kind of liquids down the hole and to spray soapy water on them I'd probably have to stand around all day and shoot them one by one as they come out.

I found a jug of Sevin dust that's been here for years and I shoveled a load of it in to the end of a 10' length of pipe. I stuck one end of the pipe into the hole and used compressed air at the other end to blow the dust deep into the nest. A few very white YJ's came out when I was done. They looked like little flying ghosts.

It's cold and foggy here this morning so there's not much activity yet but I will be watching closely to see how it goes.

Like Allniter, I put 1 cup of dawn dish soap into a 5 gallon bucket of water and at night poured it into the hive. Problem solved instantly. Be on the lookout for a second entrance. You will want to do the same there.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Bush View Post
    I think the "fire" technique is a misunderstanding of the "gasoline" technique. You put a tablespoon or so of gasoline in the hole and walk away. DO NOT LIGHT IT! It will be less effective if you do and there are the obvious dangers as well.
    Lighting it on fire actually pulls fresh air into the lower part of the hive and burns off the fumes. Put a plastic bag into the opening after the gas so the fumes stay in there. It also shows you were the other entrances are to the hive.
    “Why do we fall, sir? So that we might learn to pick ourselves up” Alfred Pennyworth Batman Begins (2005)

>Oh you're no fun! The fire is the best part!

Well there is a certain satisfaction, but it's not as effective.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 42y 40h 39yTF

I'd clean that nest just like I would clean an new brake rotor... if you catch my drift.

The sevin did the job quite nicely.
    I used compressed air to disperse it deep into the hive and immediately a few YJ's came out that were thoroughly coated with the stuff.
    I did the deed about 6:45 AM and by 10AM NOTHING was going in or out and I've seen no sign of them since.

There's still YJ's bothering the bees so there's obviously more nests on the property but I haven't been able to find them. If I do I know how to deal with them.

Yellowjackets are drawn to meat, honeybees are not. Place a piece of raw fish just above a pan or bucket of very soapy water, they will be drawn to it. When the soapy water touches there wings they are done.

A friend had a yellowjacket nest right by his back door. More and more YJ's every day, became a serious problem. He soaked it, stomped on it, but they dug a new hole out by 4 days later.

Another member of the bee club suggested placing a clear glass jar over the hole and sealing it with mud. The YJ's repeatedly fly into the glass until they die, but they do not dig a new hole because they can see the light through the glass.

I'm a big fan of the "Liquid Death." After dark, when they are all home. It's almost always one and done.
    I want bees that make up for my mistakes.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast