Carniolans - suitable starter bee for a new beek? - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Carniolans - suitable starter bee for a new beek?

I started with Carnies (dark bees at least they were called that), and I like them. One thing to note is that they put propolis down like crazy, or at least mine do. I had one hive nearly seal an inner cover hole this year and did seal an upper entrance cut in that cover. Working the hives is a mess at times, and I've popped a couple of frame tops off, since it's hard to break them loose side to side, with all the glue everywhere. I also struggle to keep them dressed and together tightly. I like that I've never had robbing out of them though. I've only been through one winter, but 2 of 3 wintered and then they blow up in the spring, as mentioned. Good luck to you next year!
    Brent
    Zone 6a, Started April 2014

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

I would just get local bees from someone who has been doing it for a while and selects on survival and productivity. They are most likely to time local seasonal conditions properly.

Alas all I could find my first nuc came with a Hawaiian queen. She gave me lots of brood for the Saskatraz queen headed nucs I started, so I am grateful for her. But she and one of her daughters died in the winter. Good thing I did not depend on her surviving. One of her daughters made it, as did all the Saskatraz queens. The daughters of these will be part local hopefully. Also get queens from breeders that select for some form of varroa resistance. Whatever type of beekeeping you do, a bit of resistance is good back up.

I'm with lharder.
    Not saying you can't be successful with any kind of queen ( there is way more to beekeeping than just what race of the queen), but there is something to be said for bees that have some experience with the climate in your area.

So if you can, find some local beek who can hook you up with a homegrown nuc or 2.

Quote Originally Posted by Roland View Post
    Bought 100 Strachan NWC queens this year, so yes we have them now. We have been buying them for quite a few years, and find them very consistent.

Crazy Roland
    Roland,
    Do they have a nice white capping on the combs?
    Bee a blessing to God and others.

This is the end of my 2nd year keeping bees. Started w 2 Italian nucs. Lost one hive last winter. The other thrived. This spring I split my hive making 2 Italian hives. I made another split and gave them a carni queen. Early august they swarmed on me. They had LOADS of room and I was NOT feeding them. I thought it was strange so I opened up the hive they came out of and boy was I surprised. I stopped counting after about 20 swarm cells. A few superceadure cells too. I was blown away. My Italians didnít do that last year and I donít think I found 1 swarm cell this year on them.

I generally go through my hives every 14 days or so, so it wasnít like I had just left them to do what they wanted. 2 week prior, I didnít see those swarm cells.

After the 2 swarms I had (I managed to catch the 2nd one), I did notice a lot more fanning in the entrance than the Italians. Maybe they were too hot? I put a spacer on the tops of both carni hives and a couple of spacers under the outer cover to maybe give them a little more air flow.

They are surprisingly fast builders from my comparison to the Italians that I have. Going to stick with them and see how the winter goes. Iíll be keeping a VERY close eye on them this spring.

I get most of my bees from catching swarms, and there are darker bees,and behave as carnis are described. I like them a lot more than italians mostly due to their frugal use of food reserves, and they will slow down in the august dearth. Sometimes I feed them a little during august to keep the numbers up for the fall flow. Luckily I haven't had to feed for a few years when the bees are near goldnerod. They went into winter with 2 deeps of honey, and came out with a deep and a half of honey.

The main downside of carni type bees is they get them selves into a such a small cluster, they can't get going in the spring and/or are just sometimes scary small going through winter. I have had hives I thought for sure weren't going to make it do just fine.

Once spring hits and food starts coming in a good carni type queen will have the hive packed with bees in short order, so be prepared.

Benton - no difference was detected. If there is a summer flow, yes.

Crazy Roland

to keep them from swarming you just keep ahead of them by adding boxs ,,, Carniolans are the only one I want ...

You can pay high dollar for pedigree bees but unless you are very experienced in beekeeping, you are going to lose your money when the first swarm ocurrs in the spring. Once you are certain that you have swam prevention covered, then buy fancy bees.
    Honey Badger Don't Care ಠ_ಠ ~=[,,_,,]:3

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12