Sting Home remedies? - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Sting Home remedies?

Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 42y 40h 39yTF

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

The stings never bothered me as much as the itching that follows. I mentioned this to a lady at the grocery store once and she said to tape a penny on top of the sting. I asssumed that it had to do with the copper so I used an old penny on top and it worked like a charm.
    Tim
    "Amateurs built the Ark; Professionals built the "Titanic".

best thing for swelling is ice, best thing for itch ...... don't laugh because I'm serious....... Preparation H

Quote Originally Posted by tim8557 View Post
    I used an old penny on top and it worked like a charm.
    People will believe anything won't they?
    You probably got lucky and weren't going to itch too bad from that sting anyway.

I would suggest that instead of a penny next time you scrape the stinger immediately and try to suck the venom out.

Quote Originally Posted by jwcarlson View Post
    People will believe anything won't they?
    You probably got lucky and weren't going to itch too bad from that sting anyway.

I would suggest that instead of a penny next time you scrape the stinger immediately and try to suck the venom out.
    This was mentioned at one of our local club meetings at the beginning of summer. A club member was at a park with some friends and one of the kids got stung between the toes by a honeybee on clover. The childs mother took a penny from her purse, held it on the sting for a few minutes, and the kid was back to playing. The club member asked if anyone else had tried it and it worked...out of the +40 people at the meeting, no one had heard of it.

A few weeks later, my 4 y.o. son was running around and got stung on the ankle by a yellow jacket. I had him inside with a cold pack on it and saw a penny on the counter. He went from wailing to silent after less than 30 seconds of the penny being placed on the sting area. I took a piece of scotch tape and taped it to his ankle, wrapped his sock up and over it, and sent him back outside. Two hours later when i was getting him ready for a bath I pulled the penny off and could not find where he had been stung. I was thoroughly amazed!

I put some pennies in my bee-gear bag, but of course have not been stung since that day...The next time i get stung and use the penny, i will report back my findings.

Thanks,
    I am going to search the local nursery to see if they have this in plant or seed. I will put it in my garden.

when u get stung scrape the stinger our. Do not pull it out. then u can take the orignial Colgate toothpaste and rub on them. Has to be the originial white. No other will work. Make sure u scape the stringer out and do not pull it out. If you allergic to stings u might have to get the pills from your dr or a shot

Note to Beestricken: where I live plantain is a weed and nothing else. if you can find it at a nursery, for sale, I'd be very surprised.

Quote Originally Posted by Beestricken View Post
    Thanks,
    I am going to search the local nursery to see if they have this in plant or seed. I will put it in my garden.
    PM sent.

Anywhere the soil is packed down by walking usually has Plantain growing there. I don't think I've ever had a beeyard where it wasn't one step away. There are different varieties in different parts of the country. They all work. They all have the spike and the shiny leaves, but in some the spike is taller and in some the leaves aren't quite as broad. Some aren't quite as green. The picture I posted was in my driveway and typical of plantain in Nebraska. What I've seen in other places looks similar, but can have some minor differences.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 42y 40h 39yTF

Thanks, will give it a try!

I agree. Thats what works best for me!!

Swearing helps.
    Sometimes the lights all shining on me
    Other times I can barely see. -The Grateful Dead

Chewable Vitamin C tablets...they help fight the poison!

I'm with 2 people on this - JW hits the nail on the head - People are trying to do something to the sting - and train the brain that a penny or whatever will relive the pain - it don't
    #2 I'm with the guy on page 1 JACK DANIELS - Enough and you don't care

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12