Sting Home remedies?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sad Sting Home remedies?

I'ma first year bee keeper and have been stung several times this season. NO big deal, hurts for a few seconds then will itch the next day like a mosquito bite. But today, I got stung 10-15 times in my hands doing fall inspections and treatments. Nothing was a problem at the time, but now, several hours later my hands are swollen like a prize fighter's. I can't even turn a door knob or grip toilet paper. I've taken antihistamines, Ibuprofen and iced them once.

Effing hurts! and now I'm helpless. Any secret beekeeper remedies I don't about that I can try or just give it time?

Oh yea, tried oral vodka too- didn't help.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Sting Home remedies?

Thyme, it's going to take a while. Sorry.
    You need to get stung more often. This time is your first really good dose and once you recover you will notice that each time you get stung is less and less of a problem.

Oh, I noticed that taking a bath or shower as hot as I can possibly stand it helps when I get stung a lot like that. Not sure why but I think it spreads the poison out through the whole body.
    Internet credibility is an oxymoron

I've found that jack Daniels helps a lot.

Benadryl

Lavender oil takes the pain away instantly and helps with future swelling. That is a lot of stings to the hands.

Quote Originally Posted by twgun1 View Post
    I can't even turn a door knob or grip toilet paper.

Effing hurts! and now I'm helpless.
    For having swelling that bad, you seem to manage a keyboard quite well?
    Working beeyards at 7700' elevation in Ponderosa pine forest.
    Visit us at Best Raw Honey

My daughter was stung on the hand a couple of weeks ago. The day after her hand swelled like yours so she went to see the doc........cortisone shot in the butt and the swelling went right down.

Getting the odd sting every now and then seems to reduce the effect. I hardly react to stings now, a bit of swelling if I get a heap of stings but that goes down quickly.
    Cheers
    Rob

I use english plantain. I make a cream out of it in the summer when it growers outside. Google it and get a recipe..

Quote Originally Posted by Agis Apiaries View Post
    For having swelling that bad, you seem to manage a keyboard quite well?
    I can type easily with two fingers on each hand...that's my normal way unless I'm on a tablet or phone, than I can "talk to text." Thats what the little microphone icon/button is on the keyboard if for. Cannot run the mouse however so back to that frustrating laptop finger pad.

Quote Originally Posted by twgun1 View Post
    I can type easily with two fingers on each hand...that's my normal way unless I'm on a tablet or phone, than I can "talk to text." Thats what the little microphone icon/button is on the keyboard if for. Cannot run the mouse however so back to that frustrating laptop finger pad.
    So is the swelling just an excuse for not using toilet paper?

If I would have taken 10-15 to the hands last year I think they would have split open from the swelling. This year I regularly take a decent amount and they've quit swelling entirely. In fact I was stung 3-4 times last night and I couldn't tell you where.

I think for most people it gets better. This year I started out giving myself at least one sting each time I got into a colony if I didn't get one while inspecting/doing whatever I was doing. I've taken a couple stings to the head this year from bees sneaking up under my veil and they don't swell either. Hope it gets better for you!

Regarding the remedy... nothing is gonna help so don't waste your time. Icing them down might make them feel a little better, but it isn't going to make the swelling go away.

In July we did a cutout and I got stung about 6-8 times while holding a comb for my buddy to vacuum off. Wanted to drop that comb and start smacking bees but just stood there and took it. Winced a lot. Groaned out loud too.
    It swelled up. Got stung in other places too but you remember the ones that hurt and swell up.

Ear tip stings are the ones that make me very angry.
    In general stings hurt real bad for 90 seconds and then it's over.

Quote Originally Posted by aunt betty View Post
    In general stings hurt real bad for 90 seconds and then it's over.
    The pain from sting to sting even in the same area seems to vary A LOT for me. Sometimes I don't really even feel it... sometimes it feels like a red hot nail is being pushed in.

maybe get some gloves

Quote Originally Posted by jwcarlson View Post
    The pain from sting to sting even in the same area seems to vary A LOT for me. Sometimes I don't really even feel it... sometimes it feels like a red hot nail is being pushed in.
    I think it's that some bees graze you. I've been stung a lot and can tell if it's just a nick.
    Have watched bees sting me and sometimes they barely get me, and then there's the ones who bury their stinger in and rip it out escaping. Those are the ones that hurt a while.
    Ever see one sting you and start going in circles until it got free? That's what I call a smart survivor bee.

There seems to be three levels of sting. Level three is where they leave the stinger and the sac is still pumping.

When I get stung thru the nitrile gloves is always way less trouble than a straight-up sting because the bee can't poke as much stinger into me. Two layers of gloves and it's impossible to get stung well.

Did cedar siding for years. A splinter that's been stained is way more painful than a bee sting.

Benadryl cream seemed to work the best for me.

MEAT TENDERIZER!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by johng View Post
    Benadryl cream seemed to work the best for me.

I’d be more interested in finding out why I got so many stings. For me it’s three stings a year max- and I don’t use gloves!

As one of the posters above suggested, gloves. Perhaps you aren’t smoking the hives properly or you are unnecessarily jarring the hives. Working the hives from the front is a guarantee for getting stung- always work the hives from the rear and move slowly.

Other than that, Benadryl along with lavender oil.

When you get stung by a honey bee first she gets scared. Scared bees release "fear pheromone" and that alerts the others. (it smells like bananas)

Probably not a good idea to eat bananas and go check bees. My mother thought it was a good idea and fed them to me back when I was a 17-year-old beek complaining about how sweaty I got. She nearly got me to quit keeping bees because of that. It was awful the way I got attacked.
    Never let a non-beek tell you anything.

Then one stings you and releases a "marker" pheromone onto you. You are now a marked beek and they all know who to sting now.

This is why you have that smoker. It's not always for the bees but is for you.

Whenever you get stung by a bee you grab that smoker and smoke where the bee stung you and then you take a smoke bath, shower, whatever. Smoke yourself real good. ( I mean GOOD)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast