Apivar strips experation date

Default Apivar strips experation date

I just ordered a 10 pack of Apivar strips for the fall mite treatment. I only need four strips for the one hive I have. I'm hoping unopened packets of strips will keep to next season. I can't find any info online about the shelf life of the strips. Does anyone know how long they keep? Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Apivar strips experation date

Following this

there is a note on the package I have that says look on the back or end of the package.
    mike syracuse ny
    Whatever you subsidize you get more of. Ronald Reagan

This page from a New Zealand Apivar site says unopened packages have a shelf life of 2 years:

http://www.apivar.co.nz/
    Graham
    USDA Zone 7A Elevation 1400 ft

If you can find a way to seal the remaining strips in an airtight container of some sort, I think they would survive until next year. If left in the open and allowed access to
    ambient air then they probably will not be as effective. The shelf life of 2 years is on an "unopened" package.

I had strips left over last fall too. I just put them back into the foil pack, squeezed out the air, folded over the top, and then put them in a zip loc. They worked just fine when I used the rest this past spring.

Add me to the list of having some leftover from last year. I put mine in a foodsaver bag and used the machine to suck out all the air and seal the bag.

Quote Originally Posted by Beestricken View Post
    Add me to the list of having some leftover from last year. I put mine in a foodsaver bag and used the machine to suck out all the air and seal the bag.
    Its probably okay since it sucking but I dont think I would use my foodsaver machine to suck out the air around pesticide strips.

Why, do you think it will blow it back into the next bag it seals?

Ziplock bag and put them in your freezers. They keep for a very long time this way. When ready to use just let them set out and get to room temp. Ive had no trouble doing them this way

What about MAQS strips? I ordered way too many, I think it said good for 1 year. I was planning to use the left overs this year. They're sealed and in a air tight tub.

I'd be careful with the MAQS. I used a batch once that were expired. So-so results. The next year I used a fresh batch. Big knockdown. Might have been chance but I won't use expired MAQS now.
    "My wife always wanted girls. Just not thousands and thousands of them......"

Quote Originally Posted by podunk View Post
    What about MAQS strips? I ordered way too many, I think it said good for 1 year. I was planning to use the left overs this year. They're sealed and in a air tight tub.
    they say to freeze them and they last for a long time.
    mike syracuse ny
    Whatever you subsidize you get more of. Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenseye View Post
    I'd be careful with the MAQS. I used a batch once that were expired. So-so results. The next year I used a fresh batch. Big knockdown. Might have been chance but I won't use expired MAQS now.
    Fridge/freeze. As long as they are white they are good- if they turn yellow, NG.
    If you want to be successful, study successful people and do what they do.
    Zone 4a/b

the un opened package is 24 months, kept in cool dry place. les if kept in hot truck cab :0) obvious. after opening, i usually duckt tape the pack back together but i use it as soon as i can. freezer would work, but i had enough duds out of that , so if i do not use it within a resonable time(for me 1 week), i throw it out and buy a new pack in fall. when it comes to a $200 hive, i try to not be cheap about a $30 pack of medication. i can afford the medication cost, but not to loose a hive in winter because of mites.
    Apivar , the makers, sometimes will have a batch that is just an absolute dud. i had that hapen before, and lucky me, i could return the whole batch to them, and they replaced free of charge. so after aplication, please check mite count , maybe do it the day of, and then 10 days later, just to make sure it does it;s job.

i would not recomand keeping the product open too long. i have been using this for almost 10 years, and never had good results with open and resealed packs.