Recommended Extractor for 5 Hives?

Default Recommended Extractor for 5 Hives?

Leaning towards electric with about 3 frame capacity.

Any model or spec recommendations are appreciated!

(I'm getting between 6-10 supers of honey the last two years.)

Michael
    (British Columbia, Canada)

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Recommended Extractor for 5 Hives?

depends what u wanna spend for that many i would go with an affordable hand crank model

I do about 300 pounds a year from usually 5 producing hives. With a three frame hand crank my wife can spin out as quick as I can uncap. We have used an 18 frame motorized and it does not save that much time when you consider setup, washup and storage.
    Frank

We got the Maxant model 3100. I love it. I can't imagine a better quality machine. They say it is made to last a lifetime. There is know doubt that statement is true. We have 4 hives and do not plan on expanding. I got the hand crank with 2 frame capacity. You can expand it later to add a motor and increase the frames to 9. After using it this year, I doubt we will expand or get a motor. The grandkids were a very effective power source and they had a blast taking turns. And, to agree with crofter, my wife and I couldn't uncap any faster than they could spin. It was $300, but well worth it. If I ever quit bees I have know doubt I can sell it and get my money back. I also let a friend use it and got a little extra honey for the loan.

I did build a stand for it myself, rather than get theirs. I made it just tall enough that a 5 gallon bucket with strainer would fit under it. It turn out to be the perfect height. I added a 40 lb. John Deere tractor weight to the bottom of it to make it very stable when cranking.