Bottomless Beekeeping - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Bottomless Beekeeping

I had a swarm move into a stack of boxes once that had no bottom board on it. They were doing fine. But I'm not sure I would do it on purpose in my climate.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 42y 40h 39yTF

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

I run hives on screened pallets with slatted racks, most with no tray in place.
    They seem to function normally. One problem, swarms move onto the bottom of the screens sometimes. I tried it and went back to solid bottoms.

I am sure at some point during the year having an open bottom would help. And at times they are a bad idea. I am sure some one has made a multifunction bottom board that can have different inserts for different conditions.

Thanks for all of the input from everyone. I was refering to Charles Martin Simon's bottomless beekeeping article.
    https://www.beesource.com/point-of-vi...ished-version/
    I now realize that I should have explained myself better. Yes the hives would be on a frame to keep them off the ground. For some reason this does seem like a good idea to have no bottom board, but I do see a mutitude of problems in the colder months as well as robbing. I think I will stay with bottom boards for now. Thanks everyone!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12