Flow Hive, Firsthand Experience
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Default Flow Hive, Firsthand Experience

Recieved my 6 frames from Flow Hive about 6 weeks ago, I was told that I was one of the 1st 500 supporters to crowd fund it on Indigogo. I know many people have mixed feelings about this product, how it works, is it good for the Bees and beekeeping. I also have doubts and questions. I have posted these pictures of 3 flow frames set up centrally on a 10 frame deep. Directions were included with details of how to modify the box to accomidate this and several other layouts. I opted only make the essential modifications and not to put the "viewing" window cutouts on the sides.
    I don't plan on using the Flow Hive until Spring when I can count on a stronger harvest. One purpose in posting this is to shRe information and pictures comments etc to those curious to how this will work. I will offer my candid and honest options on how i feel this works. It is expensive, if it doesn't perform as advertised then I hope others will not invest in buying them. Your thoughts and comments are appreciated, thats what this forum is for right?
    BUZZ ON Brother Beeks!!!
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Flow Hive, Firsthand Experience

I am only going to allow this one thread to stay, apart from this one: https://www.beesource.com/forums/show...y-by-Flow-Hive

For those who actually have the hive/frames and want to share their experience with them, do it here.
    Regards, Barry

Canyou move this thread over to the main flow hive forum? Or should I resubmit?

Quote Originally Posted by DAM Bees View Post
    Canyou move this thread over to the main flow hive forum? Or should I resubmit?
    I believe Barry is allow this thread to be separate from the other one. This thread is for those who want to report on their actual experiences with the flow hive, vs. giving their opinion on it. I think it's a good idea, 'cause the other one was too big, in my opinion.

Gotcha!

I am curious to the idea it looks neat. You say it was exspensive. How much was it?

There are at least two other members who have been gifted flow-hives by well-intentioned friends.
    Internet credibility is an oxymoron

Too expensive now. The price will go down once tooling and volume is established. Even lower after the patent expires in 15 years.

I will have a set next spring to play around with.

$340.00 for just 6 deep frames, plus $40 shipping. I did get a nice founding member hat with veil. It better work!

Yea that's a lot of money, but its neat if it works. That would be a lot of deeps and frames. Keep us posted.

Quote Originally Posted by aunt betty View Post
    There are at least two other members who have been gifted flow-hives by well-intentioned friends.
    Aunt Betty,
    I told you that in confidence dang it!

Quote Originally Posted by DAM Bees View Post
    I don't plan on using the Flow Hive until Spring
    Perhaps you can have the title of your thread changed to:

"Flow Hive, firsthand experience coming in the Spring of 2016"
    BeeCurious
    Trying to think inside the box...

just got my frames and the complete hive. i was impressed with the quality of the frames. the cedar hive bodies quality control and finish leave a bit to be desired. mine has a couple of chips and cracks and scratches everywhere. im no perfectionist when it comes to my hive woodenware but at this price i expected a product with no issues. i am waiting for a response from the flow hive team to see what they can do to remedy the situation.

anyone know whos is making their woodenware. i have a hunch that its www.beethinking.com since mine shipped from oregon and they are the only manufacturers of cedar hives that i found....

>> anyone know whos is making their woodenware.

See post #1478 of the main Flow Hive thread ...
    https://www.beesource.com/forums/show...ng#post1301503
    Graham
    USDA Zone 7A Elevation 1400 ft

Dam, keeping in mind that most of Edison's inventions were flops in the beginning, I will be looking forward to real world results. No matter what else, a couple of beekeepers worked hard to figure out, design and manufacture a dream. Now we (and they) will find out how well they dreamed! Thanks for your investment in the equipment and moreso for being willing to share it with us.

thank you

fivekai,

I'm sorry your hive arrived with some damage -- we're in communication with Flow about your parts and we're working to resolve it. The scratching will be hard to avoid entirely given the fact that cedar is so soft. The quality has been top-notch coming from our mill, and I assure you they aren't leaving our facility with scratches, cracks and chips! Since these were the first hives to ship out I'm sure we'll find packaging improvements as we get feedback from customers like you.

Sincerely,
    Matt

Thank you for the reply but the box was in perfect condition. Looks to me like they were packed that way. Three chips which I will post pics of tommorrow and also a cracked roof piece

fivekai,

I hear you and I've seen the pictures sent so far. We ship many thousands of hives each year and while the boxes often look great, it's the shifting of the parts within the box that usually lead to chips/scratching. This is especially the case with cedar since it's such a soft wood. We have strict quality control processes at both our mill and our shipping facility to prevent off-specification parts from getting packed in the first place. Being that this is a new product for us, I think it's going to take a bit of time to perfect the packing within the box to minimize contact between the most fragile parts (shingles/box sides). Regardless, we'll be working with the Flow folks to get your issues rectified ASAP.

Best,
    Matt

Thanks for the quick reply I hope the issue is solved quickly. I have waited a very long time for this hive and paid alot of money, I actually ordered 2 of them. And to have an this issue when I have bees arriving next week is a real inconvenience.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast