Changing Ultrabreeze zipper to plastic
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Changing Ultrabreeze zipper to plastic

Hi everyone,

I am Bill Samples' son. (Magnet-man of Ultrabreeze) There have been some complaints about the catchiness of the brass zippers on the suits and jackets. My father mentioned to me that he if he could he would change the zippers to plastic because they are lighter, more durable, easier to zip, and free of corrosion. However despite polymer being superior, brass looks very nice and professional. The idea has been tossed around since then. Would you be more or less likely to purchase a suit if the zippers were plastic? For those of you that have the suit or jacket is the weight and catchiness of the brass significantly cumbersome as to warrant switching?

Also, It has certainly been a trip down memory lane reading through the archives here. I know many users have left in the past 5 years but it still feels like the same place. If anyone has comments about how the suits might be improved, or questions, or stories I'd love to hear.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Changing Ultrabreeze zipper to plastic

You'll have to try a lot harder than that to convince me that plastic is better.
    My brass suit and jacket zippers work perfectly.

And thanks for making a great product!.. and thanks for not farming it out overseas. That's a big deal to me.

The brass one has worked fine on my Ultrabreeze jacket for many years, and if Charlie won't object to me saying so, I have 45 years experience with bee suit and jacket zippers. I have had many poor zippers. I recently gave away a jacket from a big supplier because of an unrepairable zipper. How about smoker damage to a plastic zipper? Or am I the only one that clumsy?
    Last edited by odfrank; 09-03-2015 at 08:14 AM.

I have both the jacket and the full suit and have not had any trouble with the zippers at all. As said above. ...Thanks for supplying such a great product.

Jody

I haven't bought an Ultra breeze yet...but I do have experience with brass zippers, having worn jeans for the last 50 years since I was 5 or so.

In my experience, it is common for brass to be a very common material used in the manufacture of reliable, easy-to-use zippers.

If your zippers are problematic, I'd advise seeking a better vendor with a better brass zipper rather than using plastic.

I don't expect plastic zippers, which in my experience are far less reliable but than brass and have a shorter service life in a specialty garment like an Ultrabreeze suit.

I doubt I'd choose a plastic zippered ventilated suit over one with a brass zipper...if its available I'll buy a brass zippered Ultrabreeze next spring.

If not, I'll shop for a brass zippered suit from another manufacturer.

I have had my ultrabreeze jacket for about 7 years and have even washed it a few times. I have not had any problems with the zippers. Thanks for making a great jacket.
    Just some thoughts.

I have 2 ultra breeze full suits and never had any problems. I was initially impressed that they come with brass zippers. If I may make a suggestion. How about a full suit that has a zipper (brass of course) at the waist line. So the bottom half an be taken off or put on as needed. Keep up the good work.

I have 2 Ultra Breeze suits. DO NOT GO TO PLASTIC ZIPPERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! If anything, include a one foot by one foot piece of the outer material net so people like me who get their smoker a little too close to the suit can easily repair it. BTW I asked for and received a piece of the material and repaired it.

My zipper has never presented a problem.

The zipper of a sail cover on my boat is starting to be difficult to "start", it is plastic and is also about 7 or eight years old.
    Last edited by BeeCurious; 09-03-2015 at 07:05 AM.
    BeeCurious
    Trying to think inside the box...

I had corrosion problems with the jacket the first year,i ordered a nylon zipper from ultra breeze and installed it myself,works great now!

I have the ultra breeze jacket and love it. The main reason I paid the higher price was because of the brass zipper. I have had to replace or throw away many things with plastic zippers but never one with brass, even though in today's world it is becoming difficult to find things without plastic.

I have to oil mine all the time just to get it to work. I've got a less expensive jacket with a nylon zipper that works great all the time and requires no maintenance. I would be more likely to buy one with a nylon zipper.
    Robbin NW Florida(8A) / 14 hives / 5 Nucs / 6th Year / T {OAV & MMK}

My experience has been different. I've had my Ultrabreeze suit a little over a year. The zippers seem very catchy to me. It is a fine suit but the snagging zippers, especially the hood, drive me crazy. Maybe it's something I'm doing wrong, others seem to love the zipper. I'm ok with it because I know the brass is definitely durable and I'm hoping it just needs to "break in." If it is quality polymer, it may very well be a fantastic zipper. If anybody doubts the durability of a good polymer, I have a 5/8 inch thick sheet of polymer on the bottom of my airboat that will change minds. It glides right up a concrete boat ramp, across the asphalt parking lot and onto the trailer like they covered in ice.

I'm pretty sure it's not 5/8" thick anymore!
    Regards, Barry

It wears surprisingly little, like a good set of tires. I would expect a zipper made of similar material would last a lifetime.

Comments on your jacket.
    One I Love it.
    Things I don't like about it
    One no flap to hold things into the pockets.
    Two the velcro At the hood is to small. If I don't keep a eye on it I do get friends in with me.
    Three melts way to easy.
    Yes it still gets used. And hard and put away wet.
    David

I've had no issues with the brass and prefer it. If going to plastic zippers I would expect a reduction in pricing due to the perceived lowering of quality.

I am happy with the brass zippers, but they are a little catchy at times. I wouldn't object to a switch to a high quality coil zipper akin to what you what find on good quality backpacks, ski jackets etc. These are at least as durable as brass and can be repaired. Moulded plastic zippers like Vislon on junk - stay far away from these.
    Adam - Zone 5A
    www.adamshoney.com

The brass zippers on my full suit have been quite fine and I would think that relative to the weight of the suit itself the weight of the zipper would be fairly negligible.

The only time my zipper catches is when I zip in part of the material. I suspect that will remain an operator problem and would happen with any zipper.

The only time I've been stung through it was when I was rolling around under a shed on a cutout. I just wish the sleeves were slightly longer because they allow the wrist to be exposed if I'm not careful. Maybe I need some cuffs or gloves with gauntlets, but those are too heavy.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast