Absolutely love having built up resistance to bee stings this year.

Default Absolutely love having built up resistance to bee stings this year.

This is year number two for me. Last year, if I was stung it was an event for the local area in which I was stung.

If stung on the hand or fingers, I'd swell up so bad that I couldn't make a fist. Most times feeling like the skin was going to burst for the next 2-3 days. Temperature of the sting area was frequently in the low 100*F range. Then itchy itchy itchy. Got bad enough that I started wearing gloves last year towards the end.

This year it's been a whole different animal. A sting is a non-event, swelling is non-existent. I've been stung in the hands... a lot... this year and any swelling or pain in gone within a couple hours. I did an early morning pull of a frame of capped brood from a large, queenless hive with an almost emerged cell. Nuc next door needs the bees and the donor is too big and crowded if I'm honest.

Anyway, while trying to slide a pollen patty in between the top two deeps, the lid slid about an inch to the side and I was stung 2-3 times in my left hand. Twice in the thumb and once in the forefinger. I cannot for the life of my tell you were I was stung now three hours later. Haven't a clue. I got dinged in the temple a few days ago when one worked it's way into my veil. No reaction.

"Bragging", I guess. Fully expect my next sting to send me to the ER now. :P

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Absolutely love having built up resistance to bee stings this year.

Yup, you just jinxed yourself good.

This is my first season, but I've been stung maybe 12 times (always because of operator error. not the bees aggressiveness). Originally they burned but within 12 hours started itching like crazy. I got stung twice yesterday, both on the palm and fingertips, for me a particularly sensitive area. The burning subsided in about 5 minutes with virtually no itching thereafter.
    Tim
    "Amateurs built the Ark; Professionals built the "Titanic".

I think I've been stung closer to 75 times this year, no clue on the actual number. Been making a point of it to get stung pretty much every time I get in the bees. If not just by opening the hive than I grab one that I accidentally smashed and have her sting me before I leave.

Last year was nasty every single time. Typical reaction here:
    hand.jpg

Ouch! From the looks of that hand, I'll bet you are proud of building up resistance.

Alex
    Ten years of Beekeeping before varroa. Started again spring of 2014.

I got 8 through the suit in the right forearm.. slight swelling but nothing like I got last year. The itch is the part that sucks the most. I plan to make some plantain based salves out of the wax this year to deal with that.
    Oh one more thing.. a hive that is in a dearth that just got out of being rained on is nothing that you should handle if you have a chance to put it off. No joke if all my hives were that way ever day.. I might change my mind on this venture...might.
    https://www.facebook.com/reapingselfreliance
    Number one killer of bees are beekeepers who wont read any bee books.

double post sorry
    https://www.facebook.com/reapingselfreliance
    Number one killer of bees are beekeepers who wont read any bee books.

Never have built up enough resistance to not swell. Swelling seems to go down as the year goes on and depends on place I get stung as well. Always a day or two of itching.

~Matt

I have twice in the past week tipped boxes up and had them slip on me. Or trying to straighten and they slipped past even and opened a crack. This morning in a large, queenless hive they poured out like the AHB videos. For about 10 seconds. But they don't really do anything they just kind of fly around then land back on the hive. With more hives I have noticed that necessity dictates that I open hives in less than ideal conditions.

Now every time I get stung it hurts like always but the pain goes away pretty quick and no swelling or itching.I do remember the days when I would swell,turn red and itch like crazy!

Quote Originally Posted by snapper1d View Post
    Now every time I get stung it hurts like always but the pain goes away pretty quick and no swelling or itching.I do remember the days when I would swell,turn red and itch like crazy!
    Same as snapper1d, fourth year for me, and after about an hour after the sting(s) I can't tell where I got stung.
    "Sometimes the best action, with bees, is no action at all."

My fingers still swell a little, but pain is just for an instant, and haven't itched since my first year. I used to swell up JW, but I would have had to have 10 or 12 stings on that hand my first year to swell up close to that. How many stings was that to that hand? Glad you built up your immunity. Good move taking what you could from the girls that got smashed, looks like it helped. G
    The Bees are the Beekeepers

JW - congratulations. Report back when you have a day like ours today. The sky alternated sun and grey clouds, they got grumpy, and probably took 150 stings total for the day. You can work up to it. Then when you do, be prepared for a sting from a different breed of bee that you are not used to.

Crazy Roland

Graham, a single sting.

Roland, 150... yikes! If I ever have enough colonies to get 150 stings in a day I'll be more worried about the divorce proceedings than my sting reaction.
    Most I took at one time was about 10-12 or so.

Quote Originally Posted by jwcarlson View Post
    I cannot for the life of my tell you were I was stung now three hours later. Haven't a clue. I got dinged in the temple a few days ago when one worked it's way into my veil. No reaction.
    What satisfaction! Congratulations on surmounting the ugly phase; I recognized the photograph you posted only too well. The first time I got stung by bees (after coming to beekeeping), they got me in the delicate tissue of the foot, right between the Achilles tendon and the fibula. I couldn't walk for about twenty-four hours, couldn't get a shoe onto the grapefruit that was suddenly attached to my leg for another few days, and literally didn't sleep from the itching for almost a week. Ignorant that I was, I even initially feared some serious allergy, and spent my sleepless nights lamenting the loss of a brilliant beekeeping career...

After having been stung many, many times these first few months (as Tim said, generally due to operator error; but this operator is evidently considerably more error-prone than Tim, since I must have been stung twelve times within my first month), and my reaction is much diminished. It's good to hear from a second year beekeeper that the trend continues. Well persisted!

John

This is the end of my 2nd year. Absolutely hate wearing gloves but I have been this whole time. This week I decided to ditch the gloves. Went out to put some shims under my tops to give them some more air. First lid came off and they were cool but all of a sudden the went a little nuts, BOOM, hit me on the top of my hand. I did not smoke them at all, maybe I should have. I hate gloves but one of my Italian hives is a little brash sometimes….

They invented smokers for a reason.

Crazy Roland

Well, I have discovered a modest "side benefit" of getting stung on the hand.

If you all were ladies "of a certain age", you'd appreciate this.

I get stung a fair amount without, by now, too much reaction. Yesterday I was helping my mentee remove a few frames from her hive for harvesting. As I lifted up the escape board, the bees on the top frames below just erupted and started stinging the bejabbers out of my nitrile-gloved hands. My mentee had one of those newbie-OMG bee moments and was for a minute or so brain-frozen and didn't quickly grab the smoker as I asked, so I got about 20 stings.

The result this morning, though, is highly "satisfactory". Older women of my age (65) are often sort of embarassed as our hands show our age even more plainly than our faces: they get sort of sinew-y, and vein-y and definitely very old-crone-like. Some women pay a lot of money to have doctors inject their hands with fillers and collagen and what not. But this morning my hands, with their very slight overall swelling, look like the hands of a 20-year old, again. If only I had the time for a nice manicure, they'd look very nice, for a change.

Enj.

This is my first year beekeeping and I'm surprised I've only been stung twice, when two bees managed to crawl up my pant legs. Having never been stung by a bee before I was worried what it would be like, but, for me, it wasn't too bad. Just a small poke of burning that lasted for maybe five seconds and after that some tenderness. I was afraid I would swell up like a beach ball, but it was pretty uneventful. I don't think I want to test my luck since allergies are mysterious things and can easily develop out of nowhere.

Not quite on topic, but I found if the bees are jumpy or sting me on the hand(s), I don the yellow Rubbermaid gloves. Seems like they don't react to yellow as much as flesh-color.

Re the pants legs, one crawled up the pants leg yesterday. I could feel her crawl past my knee, so I slowly undid my belt and unzipped and dropped trou similar to when one would do so to tuck in the shirt. Sure enough she flew right out....WHEW!!!