Autumn syrup time

Default Autumn syrup time

It's my first year beekeeping, and I can't figure out when to start feeding bees the autumn syrup recipe. I live in Minnesota.
    Thanks for the help.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Autumn syrup time

I live way south of you, and I am feeding some now.

I started about 2 weeks ago. We are certainly warmer than you are in MN.
    Tim
    "Amateurs built the Ark; Professionals built the "Titanic".

I live in N.E. Pennsylvania around 42 Degrees longitude I still have supers on as the bees are still hitting the landing board heavy. In Fact I just added a super to one. Southern Ohio Runs around 38 Degrees while Tennessee is dissected by the 31. Minnesota is dissected by the 45.
    So you can see that there is quite a difference in longitudinal deviation, adding to a vast difference in temperature and frost progression. Add to that traditional weather patterns and the variations are increased significantly.

The point I am making is that bee keeping is extremely regional. Although some things are universal timing of winter preparation is extremely regional. If you cannot find a local beekeeper to advise you, then look at your bees see if they are bringing in pollen. observe how they hit the landing board. Bees loaded with nectar land heavily. sometimes even falling to the ground after a touch and go type of landing.
    And by all means if in doubt feed! the only thing it will hurt at this time of year is any honey you may harvest.

After the fall flow if you have one. Here it is when the Goldenrod fades/finishes
    Adam - Zone 5A
    www.adamshoney.com

Know your present hive weight and what you need when the bees go into winter cluster. If you have a guaranteed fall flow you can bank some on that. Where I am located that only happened in any appreciable amount once in the last four years. I feel that I cant afford to wait and see before I start feed. If it doesn't happen it is very dicey too late then to get the syrup into them and dried down.

After I pulled supers early in August the double deeps weighed around 80 to 90 lbs. Weighing the hives every few days showed they were making virtually no gain though the hives were all bearding.
    Two weeks ago I started feeding slowly at a rate that should get up to target (125 ~ 130 lbs.) by the end of September even if no natural nectar came in. I play it by ear and keep on checking hive weight progress.

If you get too Gung Ho with the feeding you could wind up swarming them out. As you approach 130 lbs there is not much egg laying room for the queen so if you do have a flow come on be prepared to give them back an empty drawn super.
    Frank

Do you feed them even with the honey supers on? I thought you wait until after you extract from the honey supers.

Thats what Tenbears just said. If you want to harvest honey, then dont feed if you dont want a chance of syrup in your honey. If you are leaving the supers for the bees. Go ahead. Or, take what honey you want and then start feeding. I have been feeding for a couple weeks, but we have no fall flow to speak of. G
    The Bees are the Beekeepers

I'm taking any chances. I pulled the super off of one hive that has barely put anything in it, and I'm making sugar syrup as I type this. I think I should have started sooner. Thanks for the help.

You might want to feed 2-1 for storage. Less drying time for them. I mix 1 4lb bag of sugar and one quart of water. or 40lbs to 2.5 gal and so on. Good luck. G

I made up a gallon bucket of 2:1 and added it to a spare deep this weekend. Last time I had checked on them their stores were zero..like nothing in there. 2 weeks later they have most of the top box with nectar and some honey. Since this is my first year, I'm not sure if we even get a fall flow, they are bringing yellow and orange pollen right now. I'm going to have another look this weekend and see if I need to keep the feeder in there. They are kicking the drones out now, which is very sad (for the drones).

I am in central mn and I will be pulling my supers this weekend and starting to feed 2:1 syrup shortly after.

I made a 2.5 quart batch of 2:1 ratio for both hives and put them on the hives last night. I left the honey that was in the super for the bees to take back. It wasn't enough to extract. Good luck to everyone.

Good Luck to you as well. G