UPDATE: Hives Not Opened in 10 Years...Video Posted
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default UPDATE: Hives Not Opened in 10 Years...Video Posted

Thanks to many of you for your advice on these hives. Things went fairly well even though we majorly pissed the bees off and took some of their heat! Some of the frames broke in one of the boxes, but we put it back on for lack of a better idea. We will come up with a plan to change a box or two out with new frames each year. The bottom board on one was clogged to the point of no access and one was nearly so. A one inch round hole was all they had for the most part. We built new bases with new bottom boards and included a queen excluder and honey super on each. Things look to be much improved. The hobby farmer who they belong to wanted to keep them to pollenate his extensive garden and orchard. We surely made some mistakes, but am mostly happy with the results. Please check out the you tube video. We lost some footage but I think it will give you a pretty good idea. Thanks again to all who contributed to my post back in July. You may pull up thread from July titled "Hives not opened in 10 years" to get the story.

https://youtu.be/3VkqTIg1-uI You may have to cut and paste this or highlight and right-click.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: UPDATE: Hives Not Opened in 10 Years...Video Posted

Thanks for posting. I do have a few comments.

1. Why did you reverse the boxes? I definitely would not have suggested that at this time of year. Bees create a structure in their hive and you totally messed it up. Reversing is something you can do early spring to manage swarming, not in late August. I'd be tempted to put it back in the original order.
    2. Get a smoker and learn how to use it! I'd have never attempted this without one.
    3. Those were strange inner covers. It appeared that they were flush on the top (no rim). Make sure to use standard equipment.
    Horseshoe Point Honey -- http://localvahoney.com/

Why are you not using a smoker?
    -- Joe
    "Make your own decision and embrace the consequences." -- jwcarlson

Should of called beestudent, he doesn't need a veil or a smoker!
    If you only have a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.
    Abraham Maslow

Quote Originally Posted by dynemd View Post
    Should of called beestudent, he doesn't need a veil or a smoker!
    Beestudent, Lmao

Agree with above. Use a smoker to help calm the bees down. Even better, Michael Bush is in Nebraska and part of this forum. PM him. Definitely reverse the boxes to their original positions. Take off the queen excluder, at this point you don't need it. Keep an upper entrance for them will help with ventilation. Find local bee club and get help.
    Proverbs 16:24

I would have fumed the bees down onto new frames and drawn comb and into a new box and removed some of the honey. Don't see that you accomplished much.

Thanks for posting the video. Definitely use smoke next time! Just a suggestion, I would start swapping boxes in the spring when the cluster is probably in the top box. Put a new deep with frames on top and let them expand into it. You could then start taking off the bottom boxes, one at a time as they fill a new box on top. I know it's a lot of work shuffling the heavy boxes around but they would be a little lighter in the spring and not as many bees until they get built up. If the landowner will let you manage the hives, I'd put up 3 or 4 swarm trap hives about 50 to 100 yards away and harvest queen cells to expand on the "treatment free" genetics you have there.
    "Sometimes the best action, with bees, is no action at all."

You guys have big cojones to work without smoke,,,, and no veil for the first one!

Those are awesome bees!! Packed hives, lots of honey...... you hit the mother lode with those!
    I'd be chomping at the bit to raise some queens from those hives. At the very least a couple walk away splits, if they come through winter strong, and see what you end up with. Just be careful you don't go over board with them. Don't want to mess up a good thing.

Great job!!

Well, I guess we have more to learn than I thought. Is it pretty much consensus that we should put the boxes back in order? Did use the smoker some that was not in video, but it seemed not to help so much. It was very windy and we thought it would be in vain. We will know better next time. Inner cover is vented one one end. Thanks for the responses even though it's a little embarrassing how little we know. Live and learn.

Everyone here started as a novice and learned as they went along. I know I sure did. Usually the bees will forgive your mistakes if not repeated too frequently. Did you notice that these bees took care of themselves pretty well for a long time?
    In medicine we have a saying "Primum non nocere" First, do no harm.
    If you only have a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.
    Abraham Maslow

All in all I think you accomplished something. I had an experience of removing three hives from a place four boxes deep. missing frames wrong frames everything was a mess. sometimes you just dont have the stuff with you to do it the way it should be done. But mine were mean and had smoke thick. must be nice to have bees you can work with.

That is why you have Bee Source to guide you through with
    so many eager and experienced keepers to help you out. What I like to do is
    pay the farmer to allow you to put the hive there. Then in the
    Spring time come back to graft some queens from this hive. Bring a
    bee buddy if you have one to help you out. And allow the virgin queens to mate in this local area.
    After 10 years many swarms are in the area for the good drone genetics. These mated queens will be valuable to sell or for your hive
    expansion next year. I'll bet they sell fast too.
    Now that you have more hives to spare I'm sure the farmer is happy to keep some for his flowers.
    Make nucs out of the mated queens. In the queen forum the sticky note will give you some information
    on queen rearing. Asking question is the only way to learn so no need to feel embarrassed about it. We all are new once before.
    Don't mix foreign bees into a virgin hive. She might get balled 100% of the time! When will you ever learn, huh?

Interesting video. After 10 years, it would seem that bees do not need as much human involvement as we think
    Tim
    "Amateurs built the Ark; Professionals built the "Titanic".

Today we went in after work and observed the hives and they were busy as ever. We decided to follow the advice here and put the hive boxes back in order. We were slow, careful, we smoked but there is no way not to make them very mad when we are that invasive. We scraped out a LOT of old burr comb. The bottom brood box was much lighter than the others with very little activity. We decided to leave it despite evidence of nests (mice?) in case the queen happened to be in there...which I doubt. There were also hundreds and hundreds of what I think we're cherry pits throughout the bottom two boxes. Strange. Anyway, I am hoping we made all right with the world again but can't help wonder if we did more harm. I plan to check on them in a week or so.

Those cherry pits were probably brought in by the mice or whatever rodent was living in there.
    You'll want to clean that stuff up in the spring. Maybe take that bottom box away and see what you can salvage from it come April or May, when you get some warm weather. That would be a good start to change out some of the old equipment and replace with new.

They will likely be just fine without any 'help' from you for the winter; it looked as if they have a pretty good supply of honey.

I wish I could find something like that here. We have had a very hard time of it with the mites.

Video cracked me up

It's a good thing we didn't film today's escapades. That would have cracked you up more, Mountain Man!

That young lady holding the camera- I think you should keep her.
    Bill

Thanks for posting this. You had 334 views just a few minute ago!
    Brent
    Zone 6a, Started April 2014

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast