Status Change For Antibiotics In A Beehive
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Status Change For Antibiotics In A Beehive

The only one I have tried to use was Fumagilin B and by the time I got it the flow was on and the bees didn't want it but they did just fine anyway.

From the Bee Culture daily E-mail:

From I. Barton Smith, Entomologist, USDA Honey Bee Research Lab, Beltsville, MD

On December 11, 2013, The U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) implemented a plan to help phase out the use of medically important antimicrobials in food animals for food production purposes, such as to enhance growth or improve feed efficiency. The plan would also phase in veterinary oversight of the remaining appropriate therapeutic uses of such drugs. See http://www.fda.gov/AnimalVeterinary/.../ucm378166.htm

Implementation will require a beekeeper to get a prescription or veterinarian feed directive (VFD) from a veterinarian who has a “Veterinarian-client-patient relationship (VCPR)” with the beekeeper in order to purchase and feed antibiotics to honey bees for the prevention and control of American and European foulbrood diseases. A list of drugs affected by this plan can be found at: http://www.fda.gov/AnimalVeterinary/.../ucm390429.htm

It should be noted that the list includes oxytetracycline (Terramycin), lincomycin (Lincomix) and tylosin (Tylan) which were over the counter drugs labeled for controlling American foulbrood (AFB) in honey bee colonies. Oxytetracycline was also labeled for preventing AFB, and for the control and prevention of European foulbrood.

The FDA has been working with companies that produce antibiotics to make label changes on their products. During 2014, Elanco Animal Health changed the label for Tylan Soluble Powder to be prescription only. (Most existing stock of the over-the-counter product in the U.S. has been sold out and is no longer available at the time of this writing – 8-2015.) A copy of the new label can be viewed at http://www.elanco.us/labels/Swine/Tylan_Soluble.pdf

Zoetis, the maker of Lincomix, still has the product labeled for sale over-the-counter. See the attached pdf file. This product will be changed to prescription only before or by the end of 2016. (An exact time-line for the change has not been determined.)

On June 2, 2015, the FDA announced the Veterinary Feed Directive (VFD) final rule. See http://www.fda.gov/AnimalVeterinary/.../ucm448620.htm Drugs included under the VFD will require a veterinarian to write a VFD for a producer that will allow that person to purchase and use the product specifically as written. This will include oxytetracycline.

Prescription drugs for bees can only be obtained from a local or on-line pharmacy. Additionally, drugs included in the VFD may only be obtained from a licensed medicated feed mill.

At the time of this writing (8-2015), it is unclear if Fumagilin B will be subject to the new requirements.

From I. Barton Smith, Entomologist, USDA Honey Bee Research Lab, Beltsville, MD
    Last edited by Ski; 08-23-2015 at 11:33 AM. Reason: added comment at top
    Just some thoughts.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Status Change For Antibiotics In A Beehive

Just bought Fumagilin-B from a bee supplier and there was no mention of a prescription being required.
    Was delivered on time as well.
    Internet credibility is an oxymoron

The third sentence from the bottom:
    It is unclear if Fumagilin B will be subject to the new requirements.

Also I have not heard of this being implemented. But it may be coming.
    Just some thoughts.

I read most of this in a related post, several days ago. It's rather upsetting that the Fed wants to take treatment out of the hands of seasoned beeks, and put it in the hands of veterinarians- most of whom don't have an interest or clue about beekeeping. This is nothing more than a continuation of things already started by the current administration- telling people what they can and can't do because the Fed knows best. It's all BS.
    Year 2 Zone 6a

Apologize for posting it again.
    Just some thoughts.

Well I guess its time to go to the feed store and stock up on the oxy.

I picked up 4 bags fro the feed store today.I also ask a doctor and pharmacist about storing it.The words I got was to put the open bags in a good sealed container to keep moisture out and put in the refrigerator and it will say for years and years.Well I guess mine will last for the rest of my life then.

What is oxy
    Internet credibility is an oxymoron

Oxy in this case is Teramyacin. The government is not so much behind these changes as the medical profession. The fear of antibiotic resistance is the leading factor in these changes. A big factor in the development of resistance is residues in our food. A lot of this residue is due to the improper use of these antibiotics.

As Dave said Terramycin. The drug is also known as oxytetracycline

the reason for this change is the wto. Europe is telling us what we can and can't do. nothing to do with our medical profession.

Wow for once I actually agree with something the FDA is doing. I refuse to use them in my hives but I understand why some people chose too. But I think we can all agree people that don't know what they are doing or why they are doing it shouldn't be dumping it in their hives just in case

The only reason I use is when a disease in present.I can see where it prevents much at all.You put it in syrup and it goes bad in a very short time.Grease patties hold up better but then its eaten and gone.Its only good for treating not much for prevention.

Sooooooo if I tell a vet I need some oxy-tet to (as the label states) prevent disease, on what basis could they refuse?
    I understand the desire to limit the use of antibiotics but I just can't see this as being very workable.
    "People will generally accept facts as truth only if the facts agree with what they already believe."- Andy Rooney

From what I read today is you will have to call out a vet to inspect your disease.Then when he inspects and confirms you have a disease he will give you a prescription.Then you will have to go to a local or online pharmacy or a licensed medicated feed mill to obtain your Oxy.How many small hobby beekeepers can afford to call out a vet to inspect? Now that is going to get really expensive.The same thing goes for a small flock of chickens,your couple of goats or your few pigs.Small hobby farmers will try to hold onto what they have without medications since they cant afford it.Then diseases will start to spread through out! This ruling is a disaster in the making!!!

Quote Originally Posted by aunt betty View Post
    What is oxy
    Oxytetracycline, aka Terrimycin soluble powder.

Fumidil isn't an antibiotic, is it?
    Mark Berninghausen

Quote Originally Posted by jim lyon View Post
    Sooooooo if I tell a vet I need some oxy-tet to (as the label states) prevent disease, on what basis could they refuse?
    I understand the desire to limit the use of antibiotics but I just can't see this as being very workable.
    What would a Vet charge for a prescription and what amount would the prescription be made out for? Each treatment of each hive?

If it looks like this is going to happen expect a rush.
    Mark Berninghausen

Quote Originally Posted by jim lyon View Post
    from the way I read the info provided, they are also getting the manufacturers to remove bees from the label. If bees are not on the label, how can the vet give you a prescription??
    mike syracuse ny
    Whatever you subsidize you get more of. Ronald Reagan

>Fumidil isn't an antibiotic, is it?

Yes. It is.

>...but I just can't see this as being very workable.

Me neither.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 42y 40h 39yTF

alternative to Fum B. that I am using this year.
    http://www.advancescience.com/bee-diseases/nosema
    https://www.facebook.com/reapingselfreliance
    Number one killer of bees are beekeepers who wont read any bee books.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast