Best bang for the buck?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Best bang for the buck?

We are new and have this year too much honey to give away. So which bottles/ozs would you try to sell to get the most return? We both like the idea of gift baskets as a marketing , what products give you the best return and are easy to sell? We are going to go after a boutique audience as my work place has that demographic . Thanks for your experience and advice charlie

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Best bang for the buck?

1 lb. jars at 8 - 9 a pound. Hard for people to justify in their minds of buying 2 Lbs. for almost $20.
    Bees will be bees.
    Advice is free, take it or leave it, no one cares.

$12.00 a quart in East Texas

You guys think that simple is better? Just a mason jar and done or is there any money in fancy. We like fancy because my wife's an artist but K.I.S.S. Comes to mind for me (keep it simple stupid)

Muth bottles come to my mind from your description

People like the muth jars as a cool bottle to put on the shelf. The classic 3/4 lb spout tip squeeze bear is probably my best seller. The 1.5lb bear does well also. I would offer a variety, then next year make more of what sells the best.
    I attached what i sell for here..

Quote Originally Posted by burns375 View Post
    People like the muth jars as a cool bottle to put on the shelf. The classic 3/4 lb spout tip squeeze bear is probably my best seller. The 1.5lb bear does well also. I would offer a variety, then next year make more of what sells the best.
    I attached what i sell for here..
    Thank you for your generosity !

KISS is the best way to market. Don't use plastic jars. Do one thing that is original for you; whether it is in your gift basket or your labeling....your wife being an artist helps, she'll think of something. What you see is what attracts your customers. They notice things like that. Also, it seems that beeks are jumping on the greed wagon IMO. Keep your honey at a fair price. Think of your honey as a gift. (not to you but to customers).
    Proverbs 16:24

PS. Muth jars look great, but when the honey crystallizes you can't get it out of the jar!

Muth jars are glass instead of plastic. Glass jars can be put in a pan of hot water (not too hot, less than 150 degrees) and the honey will re-liquify. Try that with a plastic jar and you get a warped and twisted plastic blob, if you're lucky.
    "Sometimes the best action, with bees, is no action at all."

Quote Originally Posted by GaryG74 View Post
    Muth jars are glass instead of plastic. Glass jars can be put in a pan of hot water (not too hot, less than 150 degrees) and the honey will re-liquify. Try that with a plastic jar and you get a warped and twisted plastic blob, if you're lucky.
    Agree. Plastic I would not use. But as a customer of buying honey the Muth jar and crystallized honey was a pain inthe neck. I would want "easy" for customers.

I, and some of my customers, like the 1 lb inverted bottles. Yes, they are plastic, but they are easy for the customers to use.

Tom

This is a favorite.

I don't sell honey, but I do harvest a fair amount. I don't 'give' a drop away ether (after all that work and expense) and really don't eat it. But I do use it as trading material or a 'thank you' for folks that are generous with me.

Such as the local cedar mill that allows me to buy lumber at a great discount, or the land owner that allows me to hunt deer and elk on their property. My husband gets discounted ice for his fishing boat at almost every harbor he moors his boat..just for a little sweet 'compensation'. Even when ice is in low supply, he still will get his when others are turned away. It works well for us and folks are tickled with the 'adult' honey jar.
    I have a friend that drinks the Crown Royal and he saves me all his empties. There is always a little liquor in the bottom which I leave for added flavor. I've never tasted it, but I am told it is excellent.

Otherwise I harvest honey comb, packaging on a butcher tray and food saver bag.

I'm currently harvesting some nice clean frames from treatment free hives this year and am thinking about selling them on the frame. But I can get good retail prices here and the frames average 10#-12# which would make them a big chunk for someone to purchase.

Still, there are those that like unique and custom. If marketed as a Christmas gift item, a person might sell a few here and there.

The best bang for my buck is not buying jars at all. My surplus honey harvesting is on a smaller scale than some however and this is just what works for me at this point.
    Last edited by Lauri; 08-25-2015 at 06:20 PM.
    Lauri Miller.
    Carniolan Hybrids. Glenn, Latshaw & Wild lines.

Lauri try filling a bottle of whalers vanilla rum with honey with about a 1/2 teaspoon of rum still in the bottle for adult gifts it is AMAZING

Honey in liquor bottles is not my idea, I'm sure I've seen it somewhere. But it is popular with folks. They love it.

There are some beautiful decorative liquor bottles. Any bar would probably save them if asked.

Lauri Miller.
    Carniolan Hybrids. Glenn, Latshaw & Wild lines.

Hey thanks Laurie I've seen your post on partial frame foundation and I must say it looks like it's working gangbusters ! I had the same thought to just find jars and bottles from wherever and make it practical and recycled and a little more interesting. I admire your success and after trying to extract I think I enjoy bees more than honey! Thanks again charlie
    Last edited by Barry; 08-26-2015 at 06:21 AM.

Can you sell it mixed with liquor? Do you need a special license?

Quote Originally Posted by BoldBee View Post
    Can you sell it mixed with liquor? Do you need a special license?
    I think that some places have rules/regulations/laws regarding selling honey in 'used' containers. Might be a good idea to check that out when deciding whether to do it or not...not advising as to whether to follow the law or not, but I generally consider it advisable to know what the law -is-, and what the risk may/might be and use it as a factor in making the decision.
    If you want to be successful, study successful people and do what they do.
    Zone 4a/b

I think there is no law prohibiting sale of such collector's item liquor bottles as Lauri has shown. At least if there is not liquor remaining in them, as defined by the glorious alcohol laws passed by our respective glorious legislatures and signed by our ... well, you understand. And if Lauri left the bottles open near her bees so they might benefit from the well-known disinfectant properties of the residual alcohol vapor, and a few of the bees became confused and dropped their honey in the wrong place, well, that's also understandable.

I'm sure everyone understands.

And besides, she said "gifts." I heard her.

Beautiful frames. Absolutely tops for a marketing draw in prosperous areas. I may try that sometime. I wonder whether offering for sale such an interesting biological artifact as a demonstration bee frame still falls under food laws....
    "I thought I made a mistake once, but I was wrong." (heard often from the late David Sebree) Still making them, myself

We put up a really crude hand-made sign that looks like a kid did it.
    Raw honey for sale.
    People beat a path to my door and the honey was g o n e.
    $20 a quart.
    $70 a gallon. Sold a lot of half-gallon mason jars.
    They way I drink whiskey it'd take years to collect 5 bottles.
    Internet credibility is an oxymoron

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast