Yellowjacket success!

Default Yellowjacket success!

Yesterday I saw a bunch of yellowjackets flying around and inside the newest split I have. Today I hunted them down, and found a large nest in the hot tub insulation. One of them stung me as I sprayed them, and it barely hurt compared to a bee sting. Maybe I am used to getting stung now.

Terminated!

Here is the queen and a worker:

It was a 3 tiered nest, and surrounded by a paper sack kinda thing - round like you see in the movies. The sack kinda broke into pieces, but here is the nest.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Yellowjacket success!

Nice very nice!

Barely hurt? Yellow jackets are among the worse. Those look more like hornets to me (but I thought their stings were pretty bad too).

They look like hornets to me. I accidently found a way to destroy the yellow jackets. In the winter when temperatures get above forty degrees in the morning the yellow jackets feed before the bees do. The night before pour a pint or so of sugar water in several places in your apiary, go to the apiary in the am before the bees start stirring. I would have several hundred at each spot, I stomped them to death and proceeded to the next one, I kept making the circuit because the yellow jackets would start eating the dead ones. After a week there were no more yellow jackets and all of this summer I have not seen a one in the apiary. I had killed enough of the foragers when little else was available for them to eat that the yellow jacket nests starved. Weird I know but it worked for me.

Quote Originally Posted by jjohnsind View Post
    Barely hurt? Yellow jackets are among the worse. Those look more like hornets to me (but I thought their stings were pretty bad too).
    maybe it just barely got me or something, but I just brushed it off and kept spraying. This is the only time I have been happy to kill a queen

If you use beer in a container it will draw the yellow jackets and the bees will ignore it.

Yes yellow jacket queens are huge compared to the workers and unlike honeybees, big colonies will have lots of queens.

Drione Dust with a bellows duster does a great job in killing nests.

Don

Fantastic brood pattern!