Chastisement
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Chastisement

Default Chastisement

I hope this is posted in the "correct" area and contains the "correct words".
    I am the owner of several sites that run forums. And as the owner for the past 15 years of such sites, I learned early not to be so sensitive to people's comments, mistakes and their over sites. Most posters do not intentionally break any forum rules, but they are there to learn, communicate and offer their knowledge to others.
    Unfortunately, this isn't the case of this website. I have several friends on here and they "troll/lurk" and never post because they have stated to me how they were belittled by posting things. And I see it and now I am one of those that feel that same negativity.
    If everything you post, someone has to chastise you for a oversight or mistake. To be chastised be cause you are trying to offer something and never mention that you are trying to profit from it( Instead someone assumes), get chastised because you post a link and you never make any other statement about the link, trying to help someone, or post a picture of something and be told how hideous something is you labored hours on and you are proud to share with others. Who needs that.
    So, I am not saying I will not be "trolling/lurking the site" if I run across something I do not know how to handle. But, I will not be posting anymore.
    Seems this site has enough "experts" and people worried if an I is dotted and a T is crossed.
    To newcomers, I say you had better think 3 times, re-read every little rule, and be thick skinned before you post anything.
    And to those that are going to bash my thread, that is what you do best. I will not be lured to reply to your negative comments and participate in your drama.
    Good bye!
    My2cents
    Last edited by my2cents; 08-10-2015 at 11:18 AM. Reason: Because someone wants to be correct!
    I will bless (Praise) the Lord at all times: his praise shall continually be in my mouth.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Chastisement

Quote Originally Posted by my2cents View Post
    I learned early not to be so sensitive to people's comments,
    You have my deepest apology if I am one of the guilty parties. People will be people. Some intentionally berate and some do it out of ignorance. I would prefer you do not leave and continue posting. There is good and bad in every step in life. Practice listening to the good and ignore the bad. That is all you and your friends have to do.
    Brian Cardinal
    Zone 5a, Practicing non-intervention beekeeping

The comments in post #1 appear to have been prompted by a post (and then response) in the Treatment Free forum.

It is fairly easy to miss noting the forum that a particular thread is in, particularly if one uses the New Posts tab as I often do. Indeed, in that same thread, I posted before my2cents, and mentioned Checkmite, which is of course not suitable for Treatment Free hives. I failed to note that it was the TF forum and the moderator edited out that portion of my post. I did not deliberately 'contaminate' the TF forum, but it was my error due to not noting the thread was in the TF forum. In this particular thread, the OP in post #1 had asked about "SHB treatment", so its not a great leap to post a response that mentions treatments.

The Treatment Free forum, the For Sale forum, various vendor forums, the Consumer Report forum, and the Wanting to Buy forum all have special rules that restrict certain type of posts. Those forum rules are posted in a 'sticky' at the top of each forum. Break the rules and your post is likely to get deleted. Its not the end of the world - Learn - and get over it. Speaking as one who has been there.

Last edited by Rader Sidetrack; 08-10-2015 at 06:59 AM. Reason: spelling
    Graham
    USDA Zone 7A Elevation 1400 ft

I've only been bashed once, I think, and in that case I sent a PM to the person to try to gain a better understanding of what took place, apologized if I'd caused offence or confusion. Turns out it was an instance of mutual misunderstanding, nothing more.

Thanks to Brian and to Graham for stepping up so publicly.
    Pete. New 2013, 12 hives, zone 6a
    To study and not think is a waste. To think and not study is dangerous.

What you describe as "trolling" - is properly called "lurking". Internet Trolling, or Forum Trolling - is the purposeful posting of inflammatory content, with the intent of making other people angry (being a Troll).

I've been on numerous forums over the last 20 years and this is one of the most easy going groups of people and one of the most polite forums I've encountered.
    If you've got paper thin skin it's probably best to stay away from the internet.

I've never seen it on this forum....some answers to questions are short and curt. No one has ever riled me up though, I find that beekeepers generally are very friendly and help out with informaion.
    Tim
    "Amateurs built the Ark; Professionals built the "Titanic".

I may come across as sharp in answers I reflect. My concerns are for the bees more than the people who don't wan to hear they may be the problem. I can state uncategoricaly I have killed more bees than most people will ever run. I did it out of ignorance and oversight and sometimes with potassium cyanide. Just last winter I killed forty percent of one locations bees by failing purposefully to treat for varroa. You learn and I am STILL learning to stop doing things that are not beneficial to your bees. I am here to help, not to punish anyone or make them feel bad. I hope these tender unfortunates so offended never run into any real problems in their lives.

Use the ignore list, I've only got two posters on mine, but it really knocks down on the heartburn, and they are the ones, 9 times out of 10, to make a personal attack.
    Robbin NW Florida(8A) / 14 hives / 5 Nucs / 6th Year / T {OAV & MMK}

Quote Originally Posted by Dave A. View Post
    What you describe as "trolling" - is properly called "lurking".
    Which you would think a person who owns "several sites with forums for 15 years" would already know. However, I agree that many on here can't wait for a chance to criticize anything that is posted, even when they don't know anything about the subject. However, these people usually are exhibiting their ignorance to such a degree that I find it entertaining; an electrical engineer being "schooled" about circuit design by an accountant just cracks me up!
    Last edited by oldfordguy; 08-10-2015 at 10:45 AM. Reason: clarification

I have on several occasions received rather sharp responses to some of my comments. I probably deserved them. I troll or lurk as the case may be on this website frequently. Mainly to learn stuff and share my knowledge. I also like to have a little fun. I don't know that I have ever offended you personally, but if you give me an opportunity I will in the future.

I always wonder what the people who do these short stints on a forum only to go out with a "bang" are like in person... some treatise about how the forum membership is all goofed up and they're done with it. It happens all the time on all sorts of forums. Maybe my2cents has owned 15 because he can't find one he likes yet?

In all seriousness, I always few a forum like a conversation. I don't say anything on a forum that I wouldn't say in real life for the most part. I think it's tough for certain people or maybe even generations of people to understand how to read written text for what it is instead of what they THINK someone meant. If you're prone to think someone is being mean or trying to "shout you down" or whatever... you will have a tough life on the internet.

I've only replied once and they jumped on me with both feet. Never again. I read the posts every day, but I'll keep my thoughts to myself.

Quote Originally Posted by chck6671 View Post
    I've only replied once and they jumped on me with both feet. Never again. I read the posts every day, but I'll keep my thoughts to myself.
    I will bless (Praise) the Lord at all times: his praise shall continually be in my mouth.

The Treatment Free forum is very highly charged. I don't go there very often anymore.

Alex
    Ten years of Beekeeping before varroa. Started again spring of 2014.

Quote Originally Posted by chck6671 View Post
    Since you've made a whopping four posts I quickly scanned the posts you've made. Who in the world do you think jumped on you "with both feet"?!?!
    No one even replied to what you said...?

Or do you mean that you posted a topic... and perhaps it got deleted when it went over the top?

Just wondering.

I think it would be helpful for everyone's understanding if you could post a link to a specific instance.

It isnt uncommon to feel chastised and attacked when it really isn't the case, amd those you feel are attacking you are doing the nest to help.

It should be easy to link to am example.
    Sometimes the lights all shining on me
    Other times I can barely see. -The Grateful Dead

Quote Originally Posted by jwcarlson View Post
    Since you've made a whopping four posts I quickly scanned the posts you've made. Who in the world do you think jumped on you "with both feet"?!?!
    No one even replied to what you said...?
    now there you go being chastisable again.
    journaling the growth of a (mite) treatment free apiary started in 2010. 20+/- hives

The OP strikes me more as a round about comment on moderation than it does about fellow members, since I have had to move and/or delete a couple of his posts/threads. But I could be wrong.
    Regards, Barry

I would agree that the TF forum has little value since some who failed at it can't stand those who have and seem to constantly rail against them in and out of that forum. This place isn't for the bees so much as for people, who are far more valuable than bees.
    It would be nice if there was less carelessness with words here but I doubt that will change. Communication with words on a screen is easy to miss understand too. Not worried about myself but some here have a huge disregard for others and think too highly of themselves. Welcome to earth.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast