Windows 10

Thread: Windows 10

Default Windows 10

Has anyone upgraded? If so, how was it?
    Nobody ruins my day without my permission, and I refuse to grant it...

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Windows 10

I did it a couple of days ago. Pretty painless. They offer a choice of an express install or custom. I chose custom and opted out of a number of automated sharing of data with Microsoft. Also...afterward I checked the settings/security and opted out of several things that would automatically share my contact info. I left the calendar sharing enabled....I don't put enough information in my calendar to care. They have a different browser they call Edge. I don't care for it. Chrome is working fine.
    Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted. - Emerson

Reports I've seen say it reverses some of the worst features of 8 and 8.1, and is more like Windows 7. Which makes me smile because I fought tooth and nail to get my new machines with W7 instead of W8.

The advice I've been reading is, don't be in a hurry to get it. W10 is at least mildly buggy, and will probably take a few updates to unwrinkle. But users seem to find it a relief compared to the pain W8 produced. I think the upgrade is free for about a year.

I've heard it reads you're emails & other things you might think are private & Microsoft uses the info to make $
    Also I've heard it isn't much different than win 8.1
    You can still but new computers with win 7 from dell, HP, & others.
    Dan

I've upgraded 3 without problems. If you reserve a copy, the download is in pieces over several days followed by an install or you can download directly. If you have a PC that's joined to a domain, you likely will not be able to get it free. The Edge browser has some new features (highlight or write on a webpage and email a copy directly from Edge, etc.). If you use media player to watch DVD's, you will need to get a different player (several free or pay Microsoft $15 for their player)

I'm not upgrading to it any time soon. I've been reading some issues about privacy and torrents.

Privacy? On the internet...............
    The Bees are the Beekeepers

Couldn't resist.

It's possible that I will eventually upgrade, but I will try to avoid it as long as possible and then I'm more likely to go to Linux. I'm quite sick of Microsoft and 10 sounds like everything I hate about Microsoft, on steroids... I'd be on XP if I could. I'm on 7.

I once spent most of a day eradicating that virus that Microsoft calls "Bing" off of my computer. It took that long to figure out how to keep Microsoft from putting it back on.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 42y 40h 39yTF

To update on the update, I installed it and used it for about 3 days before I uninstalled it and went back to the devil I knew, 8.1.
    Nobody ruins my day without my permission, and I refuse to grant it...

I've upgraded to 10 but I still like 7 better. There's still little nits that bug me from time to time and I haven't figured out how to fix them yet.
    "Sometimes the best action, with bees, is no action at all."

Upgraded, crashed the computer, was so slow that a slug could move faster. This coming from a machine that was using 7 pro and fast as could be. Quad i7 processor with 8 GB ram. It didn't take me long to figure out, Windows 10 is another form of trash just like Windows ME was. Got rid of it the same day and won't go back anytime soon. lol
    Thomas Bartram

It know 8.1 isn't the best out there but IMO, it's still better than Win 10. At least, back then when I first installed it.

Wife contracts with three towns using the same software on their networks. Two are 7 one is 10. 10 is far less stable, does not play well with county data bases. Library loves to set up (helpful) links, have to be very careful you stay in the data file you intend to work.
    Yeah it still sucks for business.

It's funny how our experiences differ. I moved from 8.1 to 10 about a year and half ago. I've used pretty much every version of Windows since its inception. 10 has been stable. It has all of the features of earlier versions that are important to me. The fact that they change the visuals and access to them with each version require some relearning. I do like that the later versions run defrag automatically. It was a nuisance to remember to do it before things got tangled up.
    If 10 is collecting and sharing any of my secrets...I have yet to see any of it.
    It ain't perfect....but in my opinion it ain't bad.
    I am not fond of the new browser Edge. It defaults to Bing as a search engine. I don't care for Bing. And every time I log onto photobucket using Edge my antivirus software catches a file...and deletes it. Makes me a bit uncomfortable. I use Chrome.
    Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted. - Emerson