Have You Smelled It Yet? - Page 10
Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast

Default Re: Have You Smelled It Yet?

Last year the back yard had heavy goldenrod smell for days in a row.
    I finally experienced what it is.
    The goldenrod honey is highly rated in my household.
    Keeper for the family use.
    I have some on my desk right now. Having a spoon of the stuff while at it...

This year - not just yet.
    But hope for more of the same.
    Former "smoker boy". Classic, square 12 frame Dadants >> Long hive/Short frame/chemical-free experimentations.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Smelling it in SE Michigan this week!

we have had the earlier blooming variety come and go already. if you guys up north are just now smelling it then we should get the later blooming variety here in a few weeks.

last year i saw more than ever blooming but we got no rain during that time to support a nectar flow from it. no smell, no goldenrod honey.
    'no wise man has the power to reason away what a fool believes' - the doobies

my whole back field is full of 5 acres of the stuff but i cant honestly say i can smell anything odd even walking through the field where its all flowering. Maybe im nose blind

Quote Originally Posted by aran View Post
    my whole back field is full of 5 acres of the stuff but i cant honestly say i can smell anything odd even walking through the field where its all flowering. Maybe im nose blind
    It is not the bloom.
    It is bees making honey out of goldenrod nectar - that what produces the strong smell around the hives (smell is in the bee yard to be clear, not out in the field).
    Former "smoker boy". Classic, square 12 frame Dadants >> Long hive/Short frame/chemical-free experimentations.

I’ve been smelling it for better than a week.

no nectar yet, and even worse, no pollen at all so far.
    mike syracuse ny
    Whatever you subsidize you get more of. Ronald Reagan

Its been blooming here for almost two weeks. Seems like its blooming about a month early if I remember right. Not much of it is growing by either of my apiaries. But it seems like I usually harvest during its second week of bloom which is usually late Sept.
    Zone 5 @ 4700 ft. High Desert

Quote Originally Posted by wildbranch2007 View Post
    no nectar yet, and even worse, no pollen at all so far.
    i havent been in my hives this week but will take a look at the skaneateles yard this weekend weather allowing.
    The goldenrod is blooming for sure but you havent seen ur bees bringing in pollen or nectar? Im still a relative noob but i thought if the flowers were blooming that the bees would be gathering pollen/nectar from them.

Got the smell about a week ago , love it !!! there bringing in alot of pollen also .

i havent been in my hives this week but will take a look at the skaneateles yard this weekend weather allowing.
    The goldenrod is blooming for sure but you havent seen ur bees bringing in pollen or nectar? Im still a relative noob but i thought if the flowers were blooming that the bees would be gathering pollen/nectar from them.
    some years golden rod just doesn't produce, usually during a drought, which we had in July, also if I remember correctly, it likes warm days with cool nights to produce nectar, the days have been really warm, and the nights the same, now with the heavy rain we just had, and the cool nights it may start to produce.
    mike syracuse ny

Quote Originally Posted by wildbranch2007 View Post
    some years golden rod just doesn't produce, usually during a drought, which we had in July, also if I remember correctly, it likes warm days with cool nights to produce nectar, the days have been really warm, and the nights the same, now with the heavy rain we just had, and the cool nights it may start to produce.
    Goldenrod coming on strong here in Western NY as is the Japanese knotweed. Probably a week or so from peak goldenrod bloom. Definite smell from the hives. So much activity to/from hives the other day I thought they were swarming.

Yup one of my yards has the smell. I thought I had a swarm as I was walking to the yard. Bees everywhere working like crazy. Yippie

Smelling it now too.

For some reason I have not had goldenrod smell for the past years that I am aware of. Now it’s strong. My question is simply the goldenrod pollen is being brought into my hives that are wilflower honey. Can I mix these two types of honey as I doubt I can tell the difference as I harvest?

We have had the smell for about a week in central Minnesota. The bottom board is turning yellow, the clear tube to the observation hive is turning yellow and the bees are loaded. We have several acres around with a lot of golden rod. The earliest bloom is starting to turn so we have about 1-1/2 to 2 weeks left, then its over for another year.

IMG_2949.jpg

The smell is here now. Dade county Mo.

weird i was inspecting one of the yards today...all hives had pollen coming in and all are at least 2 10F deeps tall with most 3 or more boxes tall and i didnt smell anything funky at all..lol maybe i am nose blind after all.

weird i was inspecting one of the yards today...all hives had pollen coming in and all are at least 2 10F deeps tall with most 3 or more boxes tall and i didnt smell anything funky at all..lol maybe i am nose blind after all.
    not nose blind, no GR making nectar so far this year.
    mike syracuse ny

Golden rod has been strong for a full week. Surprising in light of the lack of rain here this summer. Knotweed just starting but slowly (need rain). I added what ever empty mediums and shallows I had with drawn comb UNDERNEATH 3 or 4 full supers on some really strong colonies and immediately after pulling supers from others. Several of these are full of nectar a week later. Hoping to prevent those late season swarms which always bring mixed results. As much as I love goldenrod honey, I may just leave these on for winter stores. Overall an amazing bee season with even without a drop of basswood. Should be either side of a ton this year.
    Mostly raspberry, clover, vetch, milkweed, trefoil. Just the way I like it.

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast