Bee Sickness? Disease?

Default Bee Sickness? Disease?

Hello All, thank you again for your input. New beek here.

I saw this about 2 weeks ago and then again yesterday. I have a 5 frame double deep. Bees were all over the ground and were pooping everywhere. No poop on the side of the hive or inside the hive. Is this a sickness or some kind of disease? I've searched a lot but havent found anything conclusive.

I did a hive inspection on Sunday. Queen looks great. Several frames packed full of eggs. Some capped brood but hardly any uncapped larvae. Plenty of pollen. Good framing of honey at the top of several frames.
    Second year beek... 2 10-frame lang... 9 5-frame nucs

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Bee Sickness? Disease?

The bee version of d

It sounds like a dysentery, and while I haven't dealt with it myself it could be Nosema. It could also be due to the feed that is available to them.

Are you feeding them? If so, what, and how do you prepare the feed?

If Nosema, you can learn a lot about diagnosis and treatment from Randy Oliver's scientific beekeeping site.
    Pete. New 2013, 12 hives, zone 6a
    To study and not think is a waste. To think and not study is dangerous.

Whoops sorry about that! What I was trying to say, the bee version of diarrhea is called nosema. It is a gut disease and can be fatal but often it is overcome by a strong well nourished colony. Nosema crerrana is another version and researchers think it is even more fatal . The disease can only be confirmed with a microscope . You can treat nosema with fumagilian. Best to do a search for it to see if you are suffering from it or call your state inspector.

>What I was trying to say, the bee version of diarrhea is called nosema.

Not true. Dysentery is not called Nosema. Nosema is called Nosema. Sometimes (back when Nosema apis was not crowded out by Nosema cerana yet) Nosema apis gives them dysentery. Confinement always gives them dysentery. Feed with too many solids gives them dysentery (like drinking the juice from rotting fruit or eating molasses) Tracheal mites give them dysentery. Dysentery is a symptom that has many possible causes among which, one of those is Nosema apis.

http://www.bushfarms.com/beespests.htm#nosema
    http://www.bushfarms.com/beesnosema.htm
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 42y 40h 39yTF

Thumbs Up Re: Bee Sickness? Disease?

good answer mr. bush

Sorry my bad ! Just regurgitating info from my beekeeping course . I rarly answer any questions due to mistakes like these . Again my apologies!

Quote Originally Posted by Pinchecharlie View Post
    Sorry my bad ! Just regurgitating info from my beekeeping course . I rarly answer any questions due to mistakes like these . Again my apologies!
    Sometimes it is good to get corrected, as it resets you understanding and furthers your abilities. You should never be intimidated and reluctant. By errs we learn.
    You were close in your thinking, now you have a clearer understanding. I do not think anyone on this forum is here to chastise or humiliate someone for their attempt to help someone.
    I will bless (Praise) the Lord at all times: his praise shall continually be in my mouth.

>Sorry my bad !

No need to apologize. I was just clarifying a very common misconception. You are not the first to make it and you will not be the last. I'm sorry I made you feel you needed to apologize. That was not my intent.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 42y 40h 39yTF