Honey super suddenly full of bees

Default Honey super suddenly full of bees

I have a 2-deep Langstroth hive with a medium honey super with drawn frames above a queen excluder. The bees showed little interest in the honey super until about a week ago.

Yesterday there were a few hundred bees working the honey super. Today there are thousands. It's virtually overflowing.

It's been too cold for orientation flights for the past few days, so my first thought was young bees with nowhere to go but up.

My second thought was, bees gorging themselves on honey in preparation for swarming.

Either way I plan to check for swarm cells tomorrow and add another deep or medium super. Before I dig in, though, any thoughts on what's going on? I've never seen so many bees show up in the honey super so suddenly.
    - Phillip
    @ Mud Songs

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Honey super suddenly full of bees

Did it have honey in it prior to all those bees appearing? If so, it could be robbers.

Default Re: Honey super suddenly full of bees

Turns out it was nothing to worry about. I checked the hive this morning and most of the bees were gone from the honey super and seemed to be outside doing some orientation flights.
    - Phillip
    @ Mud Songs