Sting Reaction - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sting Reaction

Default Re: Sting Reaction

Quote Originally Posted by glennc View Post
    Only two stings in four years is a friggin miracle.
    agree on that....

Codeboy, yes I sorta have had something similar...
    I get whacked pretty regularly, for me, usually it's no biggie - i did take a hit earlier this year on my forearm - i knew within about 5 seconds this was a different "sting". within about 10 seconds hives started on my inner arms, then it was armpits/crotch, then head on fire - chest n back - hives all over- face started to swell up -lips felt like they were about to split (it's an interesting sensation when you can feel this happening all in a span of just a minute or two and are focusing on it.).... [all ended well - different story - another time]
    .... the reaction I had was the result of a really lucky shot by the bee - she managed to jab me right in a vessel - so instead of some pooled poison in a chunk of meat that swells up locally and is slowly absorbed and dealt with by your body, this was a straight shot of apitoxin right into the bloodstream - and blood goes everywhere in your body....and most bodies don't like that and fight back - aka a reaction...

point is.... assuming one is not truly "allergic", a lot of "what happens" depends on where that poison ends up and how much of it there is.... not all stings are equal... I've been whacked since, and it's been a non-event.

If you think you may really be allergic, see your doc and discuss options. don't listen to any of us... We're just a bunch of big kids playing with bugs

Sky

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Sting location has to play a role imo. I've been stung in the arms and hands without reaction. Two or three years ago I took a shot to the head and had the systemic reaction. ER gave me IV Benadryl, Steroids, and a 4 hour nap; and I was fine. I've been stung since in the arms without reaction. Now I keep Epi's, wear a full suit, and don't get stung. Two family docs advised me against allergy shots saying, "why load your system with a substance you know you are allergic to?" and "that's like playing Russian Roulette, just reduce the risk of being stung and carry Epi-Pens."

I am still in my 1st year. I have been stung in the finger, hand, forearm, Tip of nose and ouch in the arm pit. up till the arm pit sting nothing more then a misquote bit reaction. Got a jacket with veil and vented 2 day with jacket got stung on my hand between thumb and index finger. Nothing happened, 24 hours later hand looked like Mickey Mouse hand, itching like mad, could not make a fist. breathing was normal and I felt fine. 34 hours after sting hand was still swollen and HOT went to ER as it was 9 pm. I ended up getting steroids, antibiotics epi pen and told to also keep taking benedryl. 4 days later the swelling going down daily and finally able to make a fist and use my hand. Got stung by that same hive yesterday after not being stung for a month, no reaction woke up this morning and my wrist is swollen and itching. Looks like I broke my wrist swollen. taking benedryl and waiting to see what the next 10 hours brings! I have opened the hives and inspected the top box and added syrup and not get stung, I was inspecting all the bodies and got to the last one when I was stung. smoked my wrist after having to do a relight of smoker and finished. Guess i am going to have to find some gloves that I can wear and work in. I don't want to give up this "hobby" yet! Besides I now have an epi pen, what could go wrong!! JK. Time will tell.
    First year April 11, 2015. 2 Hives of Italian Bee's. Plastic wax coated foundation sheets. 10 frames. zone 9.

Don't be discouraged, Cornfed.

I have the bad reaction.... including difficulty breathing...... but I still have the bees, fewer hives than before, but it can be done.

I now wear gloves and more protection whenever I am working the bees. I move a little slower and concentrate more. I have not been stung in about 3 years.
    We had one hive earlier this year that was pretty hot and we worked it hard, split it and got into it pretty deep, angry bees everywhere,,,, but by being careful I was OK.

I actually have learned more and have a more enjoyable time since I got the allergy.

Codeboy
    Your doctor is right. See an allergy doctor right away. Your reaction was not as bad as mine. I broke out with the hives from head to foot. My throat swelled up a little. I could feel my heart had a funny heart beat. My doctor sent me out to get blood work. I’m now getting the shots every 6 weeks. The shots are working. Don’t fool around. I laugh at some of these beekeepers how they work their hives without any protection. Anybody can get a serious reaction. It only takes one bee to put you in the emergency room.

My view is this:

If you keep beekeeping you will get stung. Maybe often, maybe not, and maybe a lot.

If you quit beekeeping you are still likely to get stung eventually. The world is full of bees. It probably won't be often and it probably wont' be lot unless you get unlucky and get too close to a very aggressive colony.

Since quitting will not remove the chance of getting stung, only lessen it, I think it's best to figure that is going to happen and be prepared for it. I suppose no treatment and a epipen and the hope that it won't happen often might be sufficient, but I would want to be treated so I don't have to worry about it anymore.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 42y 40h 39yTF

Bee Removal 50K bees estimated. Ultra Breeze bee suit=Under it, T-shirt long sleeve, Demem Jacket, sweat pants, Dickies bib Overalls, 2 pair of socks and winter boots, Duct tape pants/shoes and bee gloves. Bees Zero to me getting the removal completed. Might want to think in terms of protection like this if you don't want to risk your life. Is it worth it? Will you do it? You decide. What's the cost of being hot VS possible death you decide.
    Time: Hospital trip and pain you would experience VS that of the 15 to 30 minutes of being hot

I've been stung 4 times this year playing with my bees (they don't play nicely). Two on my hands have had two vastly different reactions. If I remove them correctly I had a very small amount of swelling. The time I did not my hand swelled up two about twice normal size. The one on my forearm was hot to touch, had an area of maybe 4 inches that itched for about a week and went away. One on my leg (again stinger incorrectly removed) swelled slightly and went away in a week. The itching is the worst part. Don't scratch it as it seems to extend the itching and swelling. Spray on benedryl seems to help, but ice kills the itch and helps the swelling. I picked up an epipen just to have on hand. The swelling on my hand actually happened right before I had a checkup. My doctor (who had a family that kept bees) laughed at me when I explained I had been stung and said, yep you sure did. Wasn't concerned but did prescribe a pen because having one in case of emergency is better than the alternative.
    I did ask if I could use the pen on someone else if they are having a reaction. She said that you can open yourself to litigation, however using it and saving their life is probably better than not and having them die. In either case if you use it, they go to the hospital.... no debate on that.

Quote Originally Posted by jwcarlson View Post
    Dave A., wait until next year when they're not cute little first year colonies. Or if you pop one open when they're unexpectedly queenless.
    I was reading this thread thinking "Geez, I'm a complete Newb and after several inspections haven't even had a single sting!". Then I read your comment. A cute little first year colony is what I have.

So I got THAT to look forward to next year I guess. LOL

I have been stung a hand full of times since I started last summer. Usually a little swelling and some itching. I took one on top of the head this spring and 2 minutes after the sting I never felt it again, no itching, nothing.

I made a mistake today. I was removing bees from a trap to place into a hive. One of the combs in the frame I was removing collapsed so I was taking care of that when a bee got up my pant leg and stung me on the upper inner thigh. Since there were bees everywhere and I was literally holding a large piece of honey soaked comb I didn't do anything. I left the stinger in for a little while due to the mess I had. After things settled down I walked about 20 yards away where I could pull my pants done and scrape the stinger off. Now my entire thigh is bright red and swelling. It's a little sore and starting to itch some. I have never had a reaction like this to a sting. I am guessing leaving the stinger in for a while didn't help. I'm guessing I'm going to be itching for a few days.

Quote Originally Posted by flyin-lowe View Post
    I have been stung a hand full of times since I started last summer. Usually a little swelling and some itching. I took one on top of the head this spring and 2 minutes after the sting I never felt it again, no itching, nothing.

I made a mistake today. I was removing bees from a trap to place into a hive. One of the combs in the frame I was removing collapsed so I was taking care of that when a bee got up my pant leg and stung me on the upper inner thigh. Since there were bees everywhere and I was literally holding a large piece of honey soaked comb I didn't do anything. I left the stinger in for a little while due to the mess I had. After things settled down I walked about 20 yards away where I could pull my pants done and scrape the stinger off. Now my entire thigh is bright red and swelling. It's a little sore and starting to itch some. I have never had a reaction like this to a sting. I am guessing leaving the stinger in for a while didn't help. I'm guessing I'm going to be itching for a few days.
    What you experienced today is called a "large localized reaction". It's nothing to worry about at all and it doesn't have anything to do with you actually becoming allegric to the bee sting. Sometimes your body just reacts different. Normally I have almost no swelling however the second or third sting I get each year tends to swell up a lot more in my case. In addition stings to my face tend to swell up a lot more. As long as you are not starting to experience issues with your breathing then its nothing to worry about.

so far. maybe a dozen stings or so, the maJOR ISSUE i HAVE IS THE 48 HOURS OF ITCHING THAT STARTS ABOUT 12 HOURS AFTER THE STING. I tried something that i HEARD SECOND HAND FROM TWO DIFFERENT INDIVIDUALS. tAPE A PENNY OVER THE STINg, AFTER REMOVING THE STINGER. Sorry for the Cap, lazy left finger I guess. Anyway, lasy week I received a sting, maybe 2 at the base of my ring finger on the palm of my hand. Without a doubt the most painful sting ever. Iced it for about 15 minues. Tried the penny thing off and on that day and nary an itch.
    Tim
    "Amateurs built the Ark; Professionals built the "Titanic".

Someone I know said... You are not a true beekeeper until you get stung Been there, done that!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12