Do corn fields offer much good pollen for our bees?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Do corn fields offer much good pollen for our bees?

Our neighbor/farmer planted acre upon acre of corn fields...

Thanks,

Soar

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Do corn fields offer much good pollen for our bees?

I could be wrong but I thought that corn was wind pollinated. I don't think it offers much at all for bees.
    "My wife always wanted girls. Just not thousands and thousands of them......"

Regular field corn doesn't attract bees very much, but the silver queen corn does attract them. My silver queen is always loaded with bees collecting the pollen. I've read that corn pollen is not very high in protein. I've often wondered if silver queen has more protein and that's why they love it so much. Corn does depend on the wind to pollinate it as Ravenseye pointed out.

Corn not so much, but the bees used to do well on the weeds that grew between the rows. With GMO corn and Roundup, not any more.
    I want bees that make up for my mistakes.

There are significant differences between field corn (used for animal feed and industrial/manufacturing purposes) and sweet corn (corn-on-the-cob, canned corn, frozen corn, etc). By a large margin, most corn grown is field corn, not sweet corn.

More here:
    http://www.minnesotafarmguide.com/ne...9bb2963f4.html
    - and -
    http://www.nebraskacorn.org/issues-i...-vs-food-corn/

The 'Silver Queen' corn mentioned in post #3 above is a sweet corn.

Bees are more likely to be interested in sweet corn than field corn ...
    Sweet corn differs from field corn in the amount of sugar produced in the kernels. This is due to a mutation that allows sweet corn to develop more sugar in the kernel than field corn. If harvested late or improperly stored, sweet corn will eventually become starchy like field corn. Therefore, sweet corn is always harvested at a slightly immature stage, refrigerated or processed immediately by freezing or canning.

Sweet corn is wind pollinated. The ears are female and the tassels are male. When mature, the male flowers will shed large amounts of pollen that will be distributed by the wind. Pollen that lands on ear silks will grow down the silk and fertilize the female kernels. Bees may be seen in large numbers collecting pollen from sweet corn, but they have no role in pollination. Because sweet corn is wind pollinated, plantings should be in blocks with a minimum of five rows.

http://www.caes.uga.edu/departments/...rn201388_2.pdf
    Last edited by Rader Sidetrack; 07-27-2015 at 09:15 PM. Reason: add more
    Graham
    USDA Zone 7A Elevation 1400 ft

When my sweet corn has tassels, the bees are all over them collecting pollen.
    Curtis Seebeck
    6 colonies in Central Texas

Besides pollen low in nutrients, which probably means they would need to collect a lot of it for any "benefit", is the fact that 70% of the field corn seed that is planted has been coated with systemic poisons that are in the pollen too. Slow death for the larva and maybe the foragers too. Any seed, field or sweet corn, that is pink or another color has been treated.
    Last edited by GaryG74; 07-28-2015 at 02:01 PM. Reason: added info

Quote Originally Posted by TurnTex View Post
    When my sweet corn has tassels, the bees are all over them collecting pollen.
    +1

My sweet corn is all organic seed and grown organically so no worries there! I do use some organic pest controls but I don't spray until after dark so the bees are not affected!
    Curtis Seebeck
    6 colonies in Central Texas

Quote Originally Posted by soarwitheagles View Post
    No, because you aren't growing the corn. The odds are you don't have a clue what your neighbor is doing.
    Brian Cardinal
    Zone 5a, Practicing non-intervention beekeeping

My hives are smack dab right in seed treated field corn and I have had zero problems. When the alfalfa fields get sprayed for weivel that is sometimes a problem. All in all, I wouldnt want to see my Tennant farmer abandon the treated corn seed and go back to the bad old days of sprayed insecticides. Also, much prefer the spring and fall growth of nectar producing weeds in the Roundup treated fields rather than going back to the older persistent soil herbicides like 2-4-D.
    Bristol, WI 7 mi N of IL 15 mi W Lake Michigan
    23 years Treatments as needed.

Wow,

How interesting! 5 out of 11 posts speak about how terrible corn is for bees...

Well, I suppose I cannot count on the corn for pollen. I am fairly certain our neighbor is growing field corn because he is a full time dairy cow rancher/farmer.

The corn fields are just now beginning to ripen and no doubt will soon be harvested. In the last few days I noticed massive amounts of yellow pollen like substance that has fallen through onto my sticky varroa mite board...I think it may be corn pollen that the bees are bring home...

Either way, I sure will be happy when the millions of Eucalyptus trees bloom here...I think the bees will be very, very happy!

A big thank you to everyone for sharing your thoughts on corn pollen!

Tomorrow I will go and knock on my neighbors door and ask him if he could plant silver queen corn instead of field corn...

Maybe it will make the cow's milk sweeter!

Can we confirm:

Corn planters don't spray pesticides anymore? It's already engineered into the plants?

Quote Originally Posted by username00101 View Post
    Can we confirm:

Corn planters don't spray pesticides anymore? It's already engineered into the plants?
    Yes & no......It depends on the corn seed you buy and the pests that are attacking.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim KS View Post
    Yes & no......It depends on the corn seed you buy and the pests that are attacking.
    This. They certainly spray herbicides--which are pesticides--just maybe not spray insecticides.

Your bees are probably bringing it in and it is fine for them. Bees love my sweet corn pollen and I don't keep any at my farm property so not sure how they'd like the field corn, but I suspect just the same--depending on what else is available.

If it is field corn and is tasseling now then it will be a few more months before harvest. Ears need to mature then dry before then. Think you are joking but please don't ask your neighbor to grow silver queen instead of field corn. One cannot replace the other--different needs and markets. Lot more money to be made in sweet corn though if you have the market for it.

Quote Originally Posted by soarwitheagles View Post
    Our neighbor/farmer planted acre upon acre of corn fields...

Thanks,

Soar
    No.

GG

around here they don't spray field corn, sweet corn is another matter

Permethrin is another pesticide recommended for use on sweet corn crops. According to Cornell University, permethrin, under the brand names of Ambush or Pounce, is one of the best insecticides for use against corn earworms, European corn borers and fall armyworms.
    and since pyrethium is losing effective ness

Based on insecticide trials in the mid-Atlantic area, pyrethroids have lost about one-third of their efficacy since 2002, although efficacy varies from year to year depending on the relative susceptibility of migrant moths from the south. Spray mixtures of Lannate or Larvin plus a pyrethroid have become a common practice to circumvent a potential resistance problem. Also, rotations and mixtures with the newer insecticides such as Coragen, Belt and Radiant, as well as some premix products (VoliamXpress, Hero EC) are recommended options and provide excellent control.
    but with all that said, I kept 30 hives on a truck farm that sprayed everything, and never had a bee kill, if they know how to spray, have the correct equipment, and follow the labels there are no problems. but you have to find the right farmers.
    mike syracuse ny
    Whatever you subsidize you get more of. Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by wildbranch2007 View Post
    around here they don't spray field corn, sweet corn is another matter

and since pyrethium is losing effective ness

but with all that said, I kept 30 hives on a truck farm that sprayed everything, and never had a bee kill, if they know how to spray, have the correct equipment, and follow the labels there are no problems. but you have to find the right farmers.
    How do they spray in such a way that it doesn't affect the bees?

Also - how do they spray? Is it via airplane?

Quote Originally Posted by username00101 View Post
    How do they spray in such a way that it doesn't affect the bees?

Also - how do they spray? Is it via airplane?
    not spraying during the bloom, bees only work certain crops at certain times usually, also weed control if done correctly, they use the sprayers that drive through the fields with the long arms. I'll give you an example of how good farmers work. The crop they made the majority of their profit on was peppers, they would plant acres of sweet peppers on plastic, around the whole field that would plant 4 rows of hot peppers, they would watch the hot peppers for bugs, when they found bugs they would only spray the hot peppers, apparently the bugs like the hot peppers better than the sweet peppers, so in a normal year they didn't have to spray the sweet peppers at all.
    mike syracuse ny
    Whatever you subsidize you get more of. Ronald Reagan

Around here, in Illinois, it would be very unusual to spray corn that is in the tassel stage. I do see soybeans sprayed by plane.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast