Having a Mentor
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Having a Mentor

Smile Having a Mentor

The meaning of Mentor is : "Someone who teaches or gives help and advice to a less experienced and often younger person". I'll tell you right now, I wouldn't be where I am today without mine. Mine is an older gentleman, who I have been following around the last couple of years. I go and help him whenever he needs help and I get the free experience. I have had more chances to be able to spot the queens, learned how to build frames, wire frames, use pollen traps, better manage my hives, what to watch for while doing my inspections and the list goes on. But most importantly, he is now a very dear friend. To ALL you more experienced beekeepers out their, you will probably never know how much we all appreciate your help, stories and years of knowledge you have earned through trial and error. Thanks to all of you who pass on your years of knowledge. Maybe some of you can tell the stories of how you got started, did you have a mentor, learn on your own or passed down from generations? Thank you once again to all of you willing to mentor us along.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Having a Mentor

Being A Mentor The meaning is; Having someone follow you around, constantly in your way, asking questions that the answer would be apparent in seconds would they shut up and pay attention. Having to redo half your frames when they leave because although they did a good job, it just was not quite how you would have done it.
    However, The rewards are the same on either end of a mentorship. There is no better feeling than to know you have done something good for the bees and fellow man. The bonds that are forged between mentor and student/apprentice are lifelong and solid gold.
    To all who have had mentors Know you this. We get as much from you as you get from us. And we too feel a sense of pride in your success, and feel we failed you when you fail.

I had mentor. She was great. I wouldn't be where i am today without her. She now tells me I am better than her and more knowledgible.

My mentor, assigned to me by the bee club I belong to, as well as the state bee inspector have been a great assets to me.
    Tim
    "Amateurs built the Ark; Professionals built the "Titanic".

The bee school I went to assigns everyone in the school a mentor. I LOVE mine, they have been so incredibly helpful and kind and my confidence has gone way up. When I made a mess of the hives they came and helped me put it all back together. When my second hive was having problems and then finally absconded (very few bees Left) they brought me a nuke with a lovely queen cell in it and we are now just waiting for her to head out to meet the boys. I am back to having two hives! I have gotten great helpful hints from them and feel like I am well on my way to being able to help my bees survive our long cold NH winters.

Can I just also say that not all of us get in the way and ask stupid questions. Some of us just hold things when necessary, work hard to stay out of the way, and watch and learn.

I think I could have benefitted from a mentor for sure, but I'm 51, have kids, job, and the usual that we all have. There's no way I would have had time to really engage with a mentor. For me it's been youtube, my club's Facebook page, and A LOT of this forum. I've made a ton of mistakes. I can tell the newer beeks out here that have had mentoring...they seem further along.
    Brent
    Zone 6a, Started April 2014

I didn't get a mentor until my second summer - and I don't remember my first year with any pleasure, at all. It was one long, miserable, struggle with imminent failure as I lurched from one crisis to another on my own except for the unfailing, generous, advice I got from my bee equipment supplier: Betterbee.

In my second year, I did have a mentor who came to my apiary and helped me, and it was astounding how much I learned and how much more fun beekeeping became.

This is my third summer, and quite unexpectedly I have a brand-new beekeeper who has a hive at my place. So I suppose, I am now her mentor. And my pleasure in my bees is even greater since now I get to see all those first-time, bee-wonders all over again. But this time not under the cloud of fear and desperation that I had at first.

No new beekeeper should have to struggle alone, without a mentor. And nothing helps you really understand what you "know" about bees as having to explain it. So it works both ways.

Enj.

I wish there was a mentor around when I got into beekeeping.
    Have to struggle along all the way. Made many mistakes and killed lots of bees and queens in
    the process. The local library only has 3 bee books. Thanks to this forum I have learned a lot.
    Don't mix foreign bees into a virgin hive. She might get balled 100% of the time! When will you ever learn, huh?

My mentor gave me years of experience in one season, I got to play with hundreds of hives,Witnessed things that I never knew happens.
    I love bees more now than when I started and that you will always learn new things,even 50 years later.(thats how long he has been doing it).

When the student is ready the teacher will appear. I have had many mentors throughout my life and continue to find them appear when I need them. I am always grateful.

Guy "Darry" Wood and I collected the first swarm I ever helped collect. Lew LeCompte helped me buy bees and delve deeply into Beekeeping During Colonial Days. Jim Tew taught me beekeeping from a degree program perspective and exposed me to opportunities and people I would have otherwise not encountered. Buster Smith let me learn about AFB, helped me identify it and deal with it. Jon Macdonald showed (shows) me how to work and keep on going and helped me get into migratory beekeeping.

There have been others and others in other areas of life. Too many to name. When the student is ready the teacher will appear.
    Mark Berninghausen

When I started I didn't know a single beekeeper and the nearest bee club meeting in my state was 500 miles away...
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 42y 40h 39yTF

Hello All,

Good thread. I would be more than happy if I could find a mentor, rather than bothering my supplier all the time who makes his money with beekeeping. I don't even know if a bee club or such exists in my area, but I am in the process of finding out.

In my age, time is of the essence and I don't want to waste to much of it (time) on either side.

Bee what it may bee, but it better bee good. Joerg
    Summ Summ Bienchen summ herum

I'm a member of the local beekeeping club but I never ask anyone to come with me to look at my hives. I know they'd be more than happy to but I just feel bad knowing how busy everyone is.
    Owner of Honey Hound Farm. www.honeyhoundfarm.com

I hope those who post to this forum realize that this is the only, or at least most consistent, mentor some of us have. I, for one, am abundantly thankful for the mentorship I get from the people on this forum.
    Brad - 3rd year - 120 colonies - small commercial operation
    https://www.facebook.com/FaithApiaries

On my own. My mentor is the internet with places like this site. After starting, I have run into other beeks though and they have been more than helpful.

My original mentor was my grandpa when I was young. He took the time to show me about bees when I was young, very young. Both he and his brother were beekeepers and I soaked in the stories. But both were out of it by the time I was actually old enough to know what was going on. But it was a spark.

When I decided to start keeping bees 30+ years later, another older gentleman shared his experiences with me. He was 90 years young and loosing interest. My spark has re-ignited his fire too and we have shared alot in the past 3 years. His hives are in better shape and have grown by a few. He has invested in modern equipment and is enjoying it more than ever. And we both learn a few things from each other.

jdmidwest, that is so great when someone at that age still loves the hobby. My mentor is 78 and he still loves it like he did when he first started. My husband asked me "how long do you think you'll keep doing it?" I tell him my mentor is my inspiration, I hope I still love it and am able to do it when I'm that age. At some point I hope one of my grandkids get interested and I can pass it down.

Thanks everyone for your stories you have shared on this thread. There is so many helpful beekeepers out there. I hope if you don't have a mentor you will seek one out, a lasting friendship will hopefully follow.

When i was very young -- i am the seventh of nine children -- my dad was a commercial beekeeper. Young in my life my dad lost his hives, and as a youth we had a dozen or so which i kept till i moved from home.

My dad passed about a dozen years ago.

Recently i have taken it up again with a lot of seeming success. A few days ago my son asked if i am having beginner's luck, to which i said: Nah, i think my dad's out there fixing my mistakes.
    -- Joe
    "Make your own decision and embrace the consequences." -- jwcarlson

Quote Originally Posted by burns375 View Post
    I had mentor. She was great. I wouldn't be where i am today without her. She now tells me I am better than her and more knowledgible.
    Great quote! LOL, Many men and women have had mentors to teach them about the birds and the bees. LOL but we probably don't want to give many credit for the experiences.
    My2Cents
    I will bless (Praise) the Lord at all times: his praise shall continually be in my mouth.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast