Silverfish in New Foundation

Default Silverfish in New Foundation

I've got 8 boxes of new, medium wax foundation - still in the box. Thought I would be smart and store it in my basement - but the boxes are all infested with silverfish. The foundation is undamaged.

So - how to get rid of the silverfish??? I thought it might be best to just freeze all of the boxes for a few days. I called the manufacturer to see if this would work, and surprisingly, not a single person could tell me if freezing would damage the wax foundation.

So now I'm checking with the experts! Do you think that freezing would work to kill the silverfish -- without damaging the wax foundation?

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Silverfish in New Foundation

Freezing can make wax foundation very brittle. Most manufactures/distributors won't even ship it if the weather will be below 32F. I would open and shake out the boxes first to see if this will get them to move out. Maybe lay them out on a sheet/cloth and see if that works first?

Freezing does make the wax brittle while it is frozen. My experience is that when it warms up, it returns to its normal state.

This is based on thousands of sheets of wax foundation sitting in an unheated shop overwinter in Maine and used in the spring with no ill effects and hundreds of frames of comb from dead-outs that are perfectly fine after surviving the same harsh winters.

Wayne

Agree with waynesgarden, freeze the foundation for a couple of days then let it warm to room temperature before trying to do anything with it. The silverfish were probably eating the paper between the sheets of foundation and/or the boxes themselves. Any dead silverfish you miss, the bees will haul out of the hive.

Many thanks everyone. I don't need this foundation now, and cringed at the thought of going through each piece to get rid of the bugs -- as I sure didn't want silverfish in the house! Thanks everyone for your help! This site is fantastic!

Silverfish need a relative humidity of 75-95%, so they are really only a symptom. In humidity like that, the paper and cartons can go moldy and make an awful mess on the foundation. I have a damp basement, and have to store everything in plastic totes, or it gets ruined.
    I want bees that make up for my mistakes.