Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Older Deep Bodies with Metal Foundation

4K views 12 replies 12 participants last post by  Chemguy 
#1 ·
I just got a hive from old neighbor friends. It's a double deep with aluminum foundation. They live in almond country so I'm sure that it came from a commercial guy. It has a migratory top and the bottom board is solid. Some of the frames are branded and I couldn't decypher the code that they used. Some of them have 3 numbers then another 3 numbers. Some have 1 or 2 numbers then 3 numbers.

My friends are garage sale and auction people so who knows exactly where it came from. He's retired Air Force and is/was a U-2 mechanic who spent most of his career at Beale Air Force Base near Marysville, Ca.

Next year I may try to wax the foundation then see if the bees will use it.

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
#7 ·
Thanks Graham for that link. That was pretty expensive for 1922, a box of 10 for deeps for $5.00. Seeing how honey was selling through through Dadant for $.14 a pound it would take some time to pay for itself.

Sorry for the poor closeup dsegrest. These are flat imprinted sheets.

#11 ·
No, you don't. First of all time travel only works one way (forward) and second...the wages back then were LOW. Think 10 cents an hour and you have to work hard because there wasn't very many machines yet. No air conditioning, no internet, no hot n cold running water, no electricity are you sure?

To time travel you have to be going very fast, near light speed. Here's the rule I had to learn that got me thru relativity. "moving clocks tick more slowly than stationary ones". (fact)
You leave, go on a long trip, come back and your clock barely moved because it was going so fast yet everyone else's ran normally. That's just how it works. (time travel)

Now to go back in time...oh my. You have to go faster than the speed of light which is not possible. It takes infinite energy to accelerate anything to light speed. That's why we're stuck. Now if we could go faster than light speed, then you can go back in time and buy some aluminum foundations. All you need is MORE THAN INFINITE ENERGY.

#13 ·
I looked it up (thanks, internet), and $13.25 in 1922 adjusts to $177.22 in 2015 dollars.

At Mann Lake:
5 deeps: $97.75
Outer Cover: $22.95
Inner cover: $10.95
Frames: $60
Foundation (rite cell or wax): $70

Looks like it was an even better deal back then!

#9 · (Edited)
Popular Mechanics 1918 has a article on aluminum comb.
Page 696
https://books.google.com/books?id=M61IAAAAMAAJ&pg=PA696#v=onepage&q&f=false

The Aluminum Combs were manufactured in 2 places that I am aware of:

The Aluminum Honeycomb Company. Los Angeles, Ca.
And also by the Aluminum Honeycomb Company of Texas, San Antonio, Texas

For the season of 1922 the prices on Aluminum Honeycombs.
Modified Dadant or Jumbo Frames. . . 60c each

My friend Dave's site has more on Aluminum comb.
http://www.dave-cushman.net/bee/alicomb.html

BestWishes
Joe
https://www.facebook.com/Historical.Honeybee.Articles

#12 ·
Diamond International was my first supplier in the early '70s. The old grounds and buildings in Chico were fascinating.
The first number in the brand represents the county, the second is the order in which the brand numbers were assigned.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.