Neighbors destroying colonies - Page 5
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Default Re: Neighbors destroying colonies

Quote Originally Posted by craneman54 View Post
    As for the fence and who owns it. Where I came from you own the fence on one side of the yard (usually the good side facing your yard), the neighbor on the other side of the yard owns that fence also with the good side facing his side of the fence.
    In NY a fence is supposed to be erected at least 1 foot on to your own property. You own the whole fence. Proper etiquette is to face the finished side toward your neighbor and the framework side toward your own property if there is a difference.
    Brian Cardinal
    Zone 5a, Practicing non-intervention beekeeping

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Your neighbor did do something damaging and hateful, but to take revenge would be no better and only make your life there worse. Allowing things to be worked out according to the law would be good, but also show grace to them. I would suggest setting down with the whole family there and explain the value of your bees and the loss you now have because of their actions, and educate them about bees a little. Do it kindly and they may be lead to feel the guilt that is due them and they may leave you alone. I would also consider that they are possibly afraid, or very bothered by the bees and I would attempt to calm the fears some. I live on 23 acres, closest neighbors are 1/4 mile away, and have two hives, and there are more bees around then before we had them. I can imagine your small area and all your hives are a busy place for bees. I bet they are bothered sometimes when they set outside, or a child is scared to death to be in the yard, etc. Bees scare most people. That's a fact. Fears are reduced when you have a bit more knowledge about bees.
    You do have a lot of bees for your small yard. They certainly disregarded you as a neighbor, but you may be doing the same to them with all your bees.

Proverb - A gentle answer turns away wrath, But a harsh word stirs up anger.

Also- "BUT IF YOUR ENEMY IS HUNGRY, FEED HIM, AND IF HE IS THIRSTY, GIVE HIM A DRINK; FOR IN SO DOING YOU WILL HEAP BURNING COALS ON HIS HEAD."

You should send that video to your local TV news station.
    Since '09-75H-T-Z6b

ChrisBex, DanielD has a good point. Perhaps your neighbor is not very knowledgeable about bees and needs to be educated about their flight patterns, usefulness in pollination, and ability to produce a food source. After talking to them, they might see bees in a different light. They only way to find out is to try communicating with them face to face in a calm manner. Best of luck with this situation.

Quote Originally Posted by Farmercal View Post
    ChrisBex, DanielD has a good point. Perhaps your neighbor is not very knowledgeable about bees and needs to be educated about their flight patterns, usefulness in pollination, and ability to produce a food source. After talking to them, they might see bees in a different light. They only way to find out is to try communicating with them face to face in a calm manner. Best of luck with this situation.
    It's also possible a swarm clustered on the light above her back door a month ago. While taking the dog out in the afternoon she opened the door, knocking a cluster of bees onto her head and face. Her reaction was instinctual, which was to hit/brush whatever it was off of her face. She was stung a dozen times and her eyes were swollen shut for a week.

While we're speculating let's not forget something relatively negative could have happened from the neighbor's bees and she's trying to fix it. We don't know the background, only this snippet of video which doesn't even show the face.

In any event if it's pesticide being sprayed over the fence it's wrong, but that doesn't mean she doesn't have good reason to want to do so. Sometimes being an adult with a neighbor is a tough thing to do. I hope the OP keeps us updated.

Hard to see how polite conversation is going to solve anything here. Clearly the neighbor is irrational, nosey, self centered and an all around jerk. Probably pretty low on the IQ scale as well. This person trespassed, violated your space, disrespected you, endangered anyone eating your honey (what if you had not seen this and your kids ate the contaminated honey), and destroyed your property. Unforgivable. Take it as far as you can legally and install video cameras for next time. There will be a next time, don't kid yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by DanielD View Post
    I bet they are bothered sometimes when they set outside, or a child is scared to death to be in the yard, etc. Bees scare most people. That's a fact. Fears are reduced when you have a bit more knowledge about bees.
    You do have a lot of bees for your small yard. They certainly disregarded you as a neighbor, but you may be doing the same to them with all your bees.

Which was why I asked ChrisBex if he had any communication prior to this event.

ChrisBex, Please tell us the details on any history (if any) you've had with this neighbor.
    Horseshoe Point Honey -- http://localvahoney.com/

While what this neighbor did is inexcusable IMHO having 10 hives on a small piece of land isn't the best for making a good neighbor.
    I have a 1/2 acre and tried 5 on it one year and had issues with bees in the neighbors pool. 3 seems to be a good number in my situation.

Quote Originally Posted by AstroBee View Post
    Which was why I asked ChrisBex if he had any communication prior to this event.

ChrisBex, Please tell us the details on any history (if any) you've had with this neighbor.
    As a rational person I always give most folks the benefit of the doubt for one or two "events". Figuring that they too are rational and will behave as such.
    A rational person doesn't spray bug killer over a fence unless they have good reason. Did they have a run in with some of the neighbors bees and try to ask him about it only to be blown off? Told their fears were off base and ignored? We don't know, we have one side of the story is all. If one of my neighbors were to come to me and tell me that my bees stung them while they were mowing or weedwhacking or whatever. Or bothered them while cooking out or had some sort of legitimate issue... I'd screen them in late that night and move them the following morning. They are my property and on my property, but I feel they are the "neighborhood's" bees in the sense that they wouldn't just sting me or just swarm into my trees.

Again, rational people behave differently than whack-os... so there is always that wildcard. But I believe there is probably more to the story.
    We have two hives at my brother's house and when relocating a swarm he said "I could put another here." I told him no, we're not going to overstay our welcome at his location. He already has chickens and years worth of split wood piled up. The last thing the neighbors probably want to see is more beehives. And he's on a 2/3 acre lot with large lots surrounding that are over an acre and the houses set on opposite property lines. So the houses are 100+ yards away or close to that. No real concern, but I don't want a swarm landing on someone's car or porch or front door, etc. I couldn't imagine having as many colonies on a property that shares fencelines with neighbors in a "standard" setup where houses are relatively close together.

Quote Originally Posted by jwcarlson View Post
    We don't know the background, only this snippet of video which doesn't even show the face.
    Yes, I wish the OP would chime in. My only point throughout this thread is that based on the video alone (which is all we have), I don't see how how you could sue or take the person to court. Other than that, a couple of good suggestions have come from this thread.

Call the news. If they aired the video there would be enough local outrage that the guy would think twice (or three times) before trying something like that again.

Call the police. An officer will come out to check on it if you tell him that somebody is trying to kill your bees, you think it is your neighbor, and you have video. After you tell him your story, he will knock on the guys door and start asking questions. The guy will deny it and the police are not going to do anything about it except file a report (do not expect the guy to be arrested or taken in for questioning). The upside is that the guy will probably be shaken up enough by the police, that he would think twice (or three times) before trying something like that again.
    Honey Badger Don't Care ಠ_ಠ ~=[,,_,,]:3

My hat is off to you for maintaining your composure. At the very least, you could sue in a small claims court. But, I. like most others commenting on this topic, would recommend retaining the services of an attorney.
    That being said, I noticed you did not get a person's face on the camera, or did I miss this?
    Another suggestion, face the entrance of the hives towards the fence, which will redirect the bees from flying over the neighbors yard. Facing the hives towards the fence will cause, in most cases, the bees to fly up and usually back away from the fence. Additionally, add some shelter over them to prevent the spray reaching and filtering down over the hives.

Quote Originally Posted by David LaFerney View Post
    You should send that video to your local TV news station.
    I agree totally with this. as much as bee's have been in the news recently, they would probably cover it. Nothing like a little public shaming to set them right. I bet if news crews start showing up and trying to interview them, they wouldn't like the negative attention.

Quote Originally Posted by Deeohgee View Post
    My hat is off to you for maintaining your composure. At the very least, you could sue in a small claims court. But, I. like most others commenting on this topic, would recommend retaining the services of an attorney.
    Lawyers are not allowed in small claims court. Source: Judge Wapner
    Honey Badger Don't Care ಠ_ಠ ~=[,,_,,]:3

Quote Originally Posted by Deeohgee View Post
    Another suggestion, face the entrance of the hives towards the fence, which will redirect the bees from flying over the neighbors yard. Facing the hives towards the fence will cause, in most cases, the bees to fly up and usually back away from the fence.
    Sorry, but I don't believe this is good advice. With the entrances facing the fence the neighbor would be able to get the spray right in the entrances. Not good. As it is the bees still have to go up to forage, so there would be basically no difference. If the neighbor has a hummingbird feeder, you better believe that they will find it no matter which direction they are facing.

Quote Originally Posted by jwcarlson View Post
    If one of my neighbors were to come to me and tell me that my bees stung them while they were mowing or weedwhacking or whatever. Or bothered them while cooking out or had some sort of legitimate issue... I'd screen them in late that night and move them the following morning.
    As would I. I have 4 locations I keep bees, my house and 3 outyards. If I ever get a complaint I have options, but fortunately I've got great neighbors and have never had serious issues. There have been issues, but always quickly resolved them to everyone's satisfaction. The bees at my house are NOT on property lines nor are they positioned such that flight paths are problems. I've had to select non-optimal bee locations so that I minimize the impact to my neighbors. Despite this, bees are bees, they have few boundaries, so there is always the chance to have issues. The difference often comes down to how the two parties involved respond.

If this is the very first time these two neighbors have interacted about the bees, then kudoos to ChrisBex for how he responded, but like jwcarlson, I too think there's more to this story. The response to the spray is really what I struggle with. Clearly this is pesticide (would anyone have doubt?), but ChrisBex doesn't say STOP YOU'RE KILLING MY BEES, instead he says "Can I help you?" as the spray is blasting over his hives, and then he says "what did you spray". Its almost like finding the neighbor on your property kicking your dog. "Can I help you" would not be the first words I would use. Maybe this illustrates my shortcomings as a human, but I strongly believe that these two have tangled before. My appologies to ChrisBex if I mischaracterized his actions.

What I noticed was that when the male beek first spoke that the hand with the spray can stopped spraying and moved out of sight quickly and at the same time I thought I could her a woman's voice say something like "oooh". Then as he moved towards the fence it seemed like the spraying started again moving away from his direction. That tells me volumes. You could hear when the spraying was going on both times. What gall the woman neighbor had! Tells me that she won't quit unless you get the police involved. You report it and they will talk to her. They may give advice to both beekeeper and neighbor. Hope things can be resolved. One last thing, you needed to lift the camera up to capture video of the person with the can in their hand just after spraying. Why didn't you?

I also noticed wide gaps that I feel would allow someone to see enough of a moving person to be able to identify them. Ever notice how much of a yard you can really see when moving along a fence? Whose fence is it?

I am also thinking that 10 hives on a city lot is too much. Maybe it is time to find a second bee yard. Ask the other neighbors if your bees are bothering them.

I would move the hives a bit, but also think that a section of plexiglass would allow light, etc. to the area but prevent spraying hives directly. And, reduce the number of hives.

It pains me to admit it, but this is something my crazy old aunt would have done. She was not crazy in an endearing way, she was downright mean crazy. She fought with her neighbors all the time.

So while you might be able to meet with them and nicely explain that the bees are in trouble, they are not going to attack them, bees and wasps will be around even after you move your hives etc etc, you might not be successful.

You may be well within your rights to have your bees in your yard, but there's a chance the brain damage from dealing with loony neighbors is not worth it. And if you escalate it by involving the authorities it might bring out the full-bore crazy.

Good luck to you.

Quote Originally Posted by shinbone View Post
    No doubt a video of the person's face would be best, but the OP was there when it happened. He will be able to confirm who was doing the spraying, if he saw the perpetrator or spoke to him/her, etc. But, I agree, the bare video is not enough, by itself, to support a criminal prosecution.

JMHO
    That may be true however, when the officer questioned the neighbor and they acknowledged the act, you could still win the case even if the video didn't show the person actually doing it. Read the police report and see what it says.

A letter from a lawyer, or a visit by the police, or both, to the neighbor that explains the penalties, both legal and civil, that can result from this sort of activity can be helpful. No accusation need be made, just a recommendation that the neighbor guard against this happening, since they are responsible to some degree for any attack that originates from there.
    Bill

When neighbors have lack of boundary issues, you really need to get the law involved to protect yourself. To spray boldly like that over the fence is way over the line. Not to mention ruining this person's honey crop, and maybe even his entire equipment and bee stock, depending on what else this neighbor may have been up to.

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast