Neighbors destroying colonies - Page 2
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Default Re: Neighbors destroying colonies

Chris, tomorrow morning I would contact the Mississippi Department of Agriculture and get them involved. The state is likely to charge them with a felony offense. I would pursue the case to the fullest extent of the law. Alabama's version of what I said is Alabama Department of Agriculture and Industries. You video proves malicious intent, assuming that your video is admissible as evidence. While this is all fresh on your mind you need to sit down and write down what happened, including time and dates. Every single thing you remember no matter how small you may think it is.

Don't back down and prosecute them.

I guarantee you that you a more level headed person than I am. If I had been in your shoes I would likely be in handcuffs. There would have been a person sized hole in their fence.

The terrorism of the food supply is a big deal. You have the opportunity to set a precedence for beekeeping all over the nation.
    The more I learn about bees, the less I know.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

By the way, most trail cameras have video capability. You can purchase a decent infrared trail camera for about $150. I have several cameras and my current favorite is a Browning. If I can find a link to the one that I have I will post it.

I wonder if it'd be worth the while to sit down at the kitchen table with them and try to educate them? Probably not though. They obviously lack enough intelligence or character to do that. Your video blew me away. I'd of gone ballistic.

The whole time I was watching the video I was saying to myself put the camera up over the fence so we can see them! PUT IT UP OVER THE FENCE!!!

Not sure how you "prove" it was them regardless what you know.

What terrible neighbors. Are one of you new to the 'hood'?

Well, i'm glad that was a lot less damaging than the title suggested. I doubt more than a few dozen bees were harmed in his stupid stunt.. Throw as much of the book at them as you can for the intent but at least your hives are likely fine. Looks like the guy got more in his face than near the hives. I doubt any spray got inside the hive to harm your honey.

Quote Originally Posted by jwcarlson View Post
    The whole time I was watching the video I was saying to myself put the camera up over the fence so we can see them! PUT IT UP OVER THE FENCE!!!

I'm starting to think we are the same person, that is exactly what I was thinking!
    Last edited by Barry Digman; 07-12-2015 at 04:13 PM.
    zone 5b
    Back in 2019!

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisBex View Post
    I've actually been watching that thread since it started. I like the basset hound idea and roosters. Since I can have both on my property.
    ChrisBex, Good luck to you as you work this, as the others have said, please keep us posted. I admire your restraint.
    Brent
    Zone 6a, Started April 2014

BTW....I breed chickens if you need some roosters let me know
    zone 5b
    Back in 2019!

Quote Originally Posted by jwcarlson View Post

I've been in this neighborhood for a couple years. This is my first home I've bought, I have another home further North of me that my grandmother gave me when she passed. That house is to far to visit more than every couple months. I didn't want to put the camera over the fence feeling that it would violate some kind of privacy laws and escalate the situation. Two wrongs don't make a right.

Oh my God oh my God oh my God!!!

I hope no harm was done to your bees-and I hope you nail those neighbors to the wall!

I think I'm having a panic attack! I'm going out to check my bees RIGHT NOW!

I too have some neighbors that I have worried about. There are more ways to do that evil deed and not get caught, and that's what I worry about the most. Just be grateful, that person was too dumb to try to rid your hives with none the wiser.

I will not post ways and hope nobody else does either. Good luck getting this person to learn.

It is hard to believe these folks are so blatant with their actions. Were you able to get a video I'd of the can? Otherwise they could say they were spraying sugar water vapour if it comes to a court case. It may be worth swabbing for residual chemical...there must lots on the top of that fence as they weren't tall enough to clear it.
    Janne....first hives April 2013, 19 hives, treat, plant zone 8b, at sea level, latitude 49.13, longitude 123.06

Hats off to you sir! I know what my reaction would have been, is why i moved to the county and away from neighbors. We all know how we would react, but you showed us the correct way to do so. I hope you get this arbitrated to your satisfaction.

On the downside, i nearly beat a kid senseless i found breaking into my vehicle at 4 am several years ago. My dog actually grabbed my arm to stop me from doing what i was doing to this punk roaming the neighborhood looking for anything he could hawk for some drug money. You did this right, minus filming the person's face on the other side of the fence, but methinks that property owner is at fault.

Well done!
    -- Joe
    "Make your own decision and embrace the consequences." -- jwcarlson

Quote Originally Posted by WBVC View Post
    It is hard to believe these folks are so blatant with their actions. Were you able to get a video I'd of the can? Otherwise they could say they were spraying sugar water vapour if it comes to a court case. It may be worth swabbing for residual chemical...there must lots on the top of that fence as they weren't tall enough to clear it.
    I have went out there and i have a bag of cotton swaps and cotton balls in a zip lock bag. It smelt like raid, and didn't have the velocity to be wasp spray (stream), but I could be wrong. Who knows this could have been the 10th time she sprayed and just tried something new to kill them.

I am humbled at the way you handled this. I would have not been able to maintain the control you did. Your setup and your hives are beautiful. It is apparent you have put a lot of work and care into your hives (and yard) and it shows. You should go after this person to the fullest extent of the law-civil and criminal. If anything positive can be taken away from this horrid experience it is the way you handled yourself. I wish you the best of luck in beekeeping and hope these "neighbors" of yours end up where they belong.

It is a crime in my state to spray insecticide on bees that are not on your property that you do not own. Definitely find out for sure what your state laws are. The police probably don't know, go to the agriculture department.

Edit to add an idea. Do you have a shed? Or would you like to have a shed? Placing a small shed between the fence and your hives would make them inaccessible to your neighbor.

Pursue legal options, but the neighbor knew what they were doing was inappropriate but that didn't stop them. Fact is, you'll probably need to do something to find a situation where "out of sight out of mind" can happen
    Last edited by JConnolly; 07-12-2015 at 08:03 PM.
    Zone 5B

I found this today. If anyone with lawyer jargon can dissect this for me.

http://law.justia.com/codes/mississi...ection-95-3-29

One phone call to these people in the morning will yield you more correct information than I could get from your link. There is a contact name and number towards the bottom right of the page.

https://www.mdac.ms.gov/bureaus-depa...eybee-program/

Your an awesome guy. I would have ripped that one board off and videoed that dude. Have they not even mentioned the bees to you?

Nah, that is a staged video, no one is that calm.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisBex View Post
    I found this today. If anyone with lawyer jargon can dissect this for me.

http://law.justia.com/codes/mississi...ection-95-3-29
    I think that section says basically that your neighbor can't bring action against your bees as a "nuisance" if they've been there over a year and there have been no complaints . I hope you nail those unspeakably evil beings to the wall . It looked in the video like the neighbor tried to spray some of that at you , as they were walking down the fence line . I believe that can be considered aggravated assault ...
    Retired wannabee Hillbilly Farmer in backwoods Arkansas
    Our biggest crop is rocks ...

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast