Neighbors destroying colonies
Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Default Neighbors destroying colonies

I finally found out why my colonies are on the decline ever since spring started. I don't live in a subdivision, but a smaller residential area. My backyard is only 40ft wide and one side of my yard gets more sun then the other. That's why I put my hives towards this side. I have a total of 10 hives in my home apiary and have been keeping bees since I was 3ft tall. I live in Mississippi and there are no state, county, or local laws restricting/prohibiting/regulating residential/hobby beekeeping.

I checked first with MSU (Mississippi State University) entomology department. . Using Mrs. Audrey information I contact my local Chamber of Commerce. I got re-directed and re-directed they couldn't give me any solid information. Got transferred to the "legal" department and they had no records indicating laws regarding beekeeping. I don't live in an area with a home owners association either. I hope I checked all my bases.

Then this morning I found this:

I'm still quite mad and shaken up over this event. I called the local police and have a case number in hand. The police officer wanted to know how much money of property damage it was and how much it costs. I'm so upset i couldn't give him a solid number, just that my honey crop this year is destroyed. Over $1000.00 just in honey sales.

Happy SUNDAY!

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Neighbors destroying colonies

Man, you were much more diplomatic than I would have been with that meathead..

Yes, but he has a case number with the police... as the victim not the assailant. Way to stay cool under the circumstances. I am sure the situation is very upsetting. Wonder why this just started? Have either of you recently moved there? You did say you have been keeping bees since you were young, so what is different about the circumstances?

Jean-Marc

Sue him in a Civil suit.

With the statements that you have that keeping bees is acceptable in your location and with video evidence along with a police report of him vandalizing your bees, you should have an easy victory. Sue him for triple the costs of what you think you lost plus lawyer fees.

Lawyer up and make him pay.

Glad you got that on video. What jerks. I'd be furious.

I'm with the general, sue the crap outta them.

This just makes my blood boil.

That said, this is a thread that can easily derail, and understandably so. Please keep in mind that suggestions of retaliation or any kind of illegal activity are frowned upon on Beesource.
    Nobody ruins my day without my permission, and I refuse to grant it...

Thanks for the support. I am indeed going to do some "legal" studies on this issue. My good friend is a lawyer in Louisiana. I just told her about it, first this she said was "Destruction of Private Property and Terrorism by poising food supply". I dunno how the terrorism thing fits in, but we'll see.

I will be pressing these matters further to rectify any more attempts of destroying my property.

ChrisBex

Move hive out of reach and - - -
    Last edited by Barry Digman; 07-12-2015 at 10:36 AM. Reason: See post #6

wow. Your the calmest person I know. My reaction would not have been very pleasant at all. Stay calm and do the court thing. I see big losses.

Wow, I pride myself on being able to keep my cool, but we can all start taking lessons from you. Way to go. That being said, nail 'em in court.
    For a different perspective https://www.beesource.com/forums/show...86#post1299886

Alex
    Ten years of Beekeeping before varroa. Started again spring of 2014.

Quote Originally Posted by AHudd View Post
    Wow, I pride myself on being able to keep my cool, but we can all start taking lessons from you. Way to go. That being said, nail 'em in court.
    For a different perspective https://www.beesource.com/forums/show...86#post1299886

Alex
    I've actually been watching that thread since it started. I like the basset hound idea and roosters. Since I can have both on my property.

Wow amazing! What did the police say about the incident? Do they consider it entirely a civil issue?

I wonder if this would be considered an illegal use of a pesticide, perhaps your state has some sort of environmental agency or agricultural agency that would look into that as well.

You got it. File charges. That is akin to "animal cruelty" - like poisoning a dog. The monetary loss should include replacing all equipment, at current costs, as well as drawn comb/full colony adjustments. A $2000-$3000 bill should get some attention - assuming he/she isn't as brain dead as they appear.

Get an IR camera - the bonehead might come out at 2AM, next time.

On the bright side - a can of Raid probably did little more than kill a few unfortunate foragers. 'Depends on what was in that can - not likely extremely toxic to the colony. You'll have to have the honey tested for pesticides - save the bill.
    After 40 years of beekeeping, I've come to realize that the bees can fix most of my mistakes.

10 hives for that small of lot ????? don't get me wrong but that is a lot for that small lot... and yes I do have bees but thats a lot of bees for lot that small

Wow that is uneblievable. Did you call the cops. I would press charges for destruction of property. Too bad you didn't get a shot of the person over the fence with a can pesticide. This will make relations tough, I don't know if i could every respect the person again.Have you spoke to the neighbors before about the bees...

In louisville we have no beekeeping restrictions. But nuisance law will prevail if a neighbor can prove they bothering them, buzzing them, stinging them, hindering them enjoying their home and property. Sorta like chickens, if someone had a rooster that was crowing every monring Or someone playing music loudy.

my sincere sympathies. unfortunatly there is not enough money involved to attract a realy nasty lawyer. the bio-terrorism idea might be worth looking into.

Wow the nerve of some people. My hat is off to you for maintaining your cool - I would not have been as diplomatic. I would move my hives out into the middle of the yard though and get the advice of a good attorney if need bee.

This just makes my blood boil, and I also why I have security cameras all around my property!. Please update later with the outcome of police or lawsuits

Quote Originally Posted by MariahK View Post
    This just makes my blood boil, and I also why I have security cameras all around my property!. Please update later with the outcome of police or lawsuits
    I will. No one open on Sundays.

In Indiana that is a felony. Check your state laws concerning attacks or damage to livestock and/or bees -- quite often killing livestock is a felony, and that can of raid can be a very expensive device.

At the very least, you should be able to get a restraining order against him.

Contact a lawyer next week -- it's not likely he did much damage on that particular date, but who knows what would happen if the wind was blowing the spray back at him. If he has actually cost you some hives, he owes you triple damages (including lawyer's fees, don't go cheap), at least he would in Indiana.

I'm sure Mississippi has property damage laws, and he was definitely trespassing. You should also post no trespassing signs on the fence (and in front of the property, all sides) -- this will make it possible for him to be arrested next time he sprays something over the fence.

I would also move the bees to the other side of the yard, a pain, I know, but at least he won't be able to get to them so easily. Flip side is that right now he can't use the wasp spray type on them since the entrance faces away, and he might be able to across the property.

Peter

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast