Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Default Re: Neighbors destroying colonies

So any update on this???
    sc-bee

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

I've been keeping up with this thread as well sc-bee. Any updates?

Let me tell you how I would tally up the damages. 100 lbs of honey per colony at $8 a lb. and I can prove a track record of selling it at that price. $350 per colony for the bees alone. So we are now at $1150 per colony. Then the damaged equipment that has now been bathed in insecticide. A bottom board deep brood box inner and outer cover is $80 and each box above that is another $40. So another $120 to $160 per colony. We are at what now. around $1300 or so per colony? and I can support my claim to the value of each component. The neighbor would have to present evidence to the contrary.
    Everything gets darker, as it goes to where there is less light. Darrel Tank (5PM drawing instructor)

Quote Originally Posted by The General View Post
    Sue him in a Civil suit.

With the statements that you have that keeping bees is acceptable in your location and with video evidence along with a police report of him vandalizing your bees, you should have an easy victory. Sue him for triple the costs of what you think you lost plus lawyer fees.

Lawyer up and make him pay.
    I agree with making this a civil (not criminal) action. A criminal case will get you nowhere.

I am pretty sure that is "off label" and an illegal use of the pesticide. Call your state regulatory agency or contact the EPA.
    20 hives, 10 years, T and TF, All local stock

As many have said - You reacted well - way better than I would have - I would at first reached over the fence while he was spraying and grabbed his arm - then tried to drag his ***** over the fence or I would have went over/through it. Boy the nerve of some people. Again - you did better that I would have.

Agreed and I commend your calmness so to speak, I would have gotten a trip to jail likely. Anyway also agree that civil is the best way to go and you will likely win.
    Cheers Bill
    zone 9b

I have done the civil thing - and won a judgment against the other party - guess what I got - an IOU - no way to enforce him paying for damages - and it cost me 200$ to take him to court. it expired after 10 years so civil is just pissing in the wind.
    While I agree the neighbor done wrong - I'm going to play the devil here - Do they have a pool next door that the bees are using as a watering hole? I moved 24 hives into a neighborhood 1 time in an emergency. 2 weeks later had a neighbor come knocking telling me her pool was unusable due to all the bees - checked the beeyard and had bees on flight like it was a honeyflow - running back/forth to the pool for water. I promptly moved them that night.
    Just saying

Quote Originally Posted by philip.devos View Post
    I agree with making this a civil (not criminal) action. A criminal case will get you nowhere.
    I disagree, do both.

Quote Originally Posted by sakhoney View Post
    I have done the civil thing - and won a judgment against the other party - guess what I got - an IOU - no way to enforce him paying for damages - and it cost me 200$ to take him to court. it expired after 10 years so civil is just pissing in the wind.
    While I agree the neighbor done wrong - I'm going to play the devil here - Do they have a pool next door that the bees are using as a watering hole? I moved 24 hives into a neighborhood 1 time in an emergency. 2 weeks later had a neighbor come knocking telling me her pool was unusable due to all the bees - checked the beeyard and had bees on flight like it was a honeyflow - running back/forth to the pool for water. I promptly moved them that night.
    Just saying
    Sak, I've won civil judgments before, and collecting is easy as long as they have a job. All you have to do is find out where they work and garnish their wages.

He should be able to get punitive damages on top of actual since this was clearly intentional. He also needs to find out what he was spraying. The jerk could claim he was just spraying hairspray.

self employed house framer

You've still got to live next to them. Ramping it up will only bring retaliation, harder feelings, and even worse relations. Where does it end and how's that thinking working out between the Jews and the Palestinians? Don't get me wrong, I'd have been mad as heck too and I'd have let it be known. But, I'm certain the neighbor is very embarrassed about getting caught red handed. Try to mend the fence, or sell the house. You'll never appreciate a good neighbor until you've got a bad one.

sakhoney has a good point, his bees were disturbing his neighbor, the neighbor was good enough let him know and he was smart enough to do something about it immediately. Imagine this neighbor got stung walking barefoot in the grass or swimming in the pool. Didn't say anything just wanted to get "even" and thus the ball got rolling, straight into a minefield.
    Ninja, is not in the dictionary. Well played Ninja's, well played...

I was sued by a guy I took out to teach how to metal detect for gold nuggets (my main income hunting, teaching, and selling equipment) and he had fallen into a cholla cactus and had to seek medical care. Because I drove him to the location instead of having him drive his own vehicle I was found at fault (go figure) and was ordered to pat 346.00 in medical bills.... I tried to find a way out, but was advised by my lawyer that they would garnish my pay/income to force payment and freeze my bank account. So I grudgingly payed the guy when it was not in any way my fault.

Thing is I was forced to pay due to the judgement so it can indeed be collected and my attempt at an "IOU" was nuked....
    Cheers Bill
    zone 9b

Quote Originally Posted by hilreal View Post
    I am pretty sure that is "off label" and an illegal use of the pesticide. Call your state regulatory agency or contact the EPA.
    You don't even know what pesticide was being sprayed and yet you are pretty sure that it is "off label" use.
    Honey Badger Don't Care ಠ_ಠ ~=[,,_,,]:3

Quote Originally Posted by D Coates View Post
    You've still got to live next to them. Ramping it up will only bring retaliation, harder feelings, and even worse relations. Where does it end and how's that thinking working out between the Jews and the Palestinians? Don't get me wrong, I'd have been mad as heck too and I'd have let it be known. But, I'm certain the neighbor is very embarrassed about getting caught red handed. Try to mend the fence, or sell the house. You'll never appreciate a good neighbor until you've got a bad one.

sakhoney has a good point, his bees were disturbing his neighbor, the neighbor was good enough let him know and he was smart enough to do something about it immediately. Imagine this neighbor got stung walking barefoot in the grass or swimming in the pool. Didn't say anything just wanted to get "even" and thus the ball got rolling, straight into a minefield.
    I completely disagree. Letting bad behavior go simply encourages more bad behavior.

Seriously, retaliation? That's what cops and the law is for.

Everyone realizes this thread is almost a year old don't they? Chances are the original poster has gone on to other things. Pretty sad though.

Quote Originally Posted by Coach62 View Post
    I disagree, do both.

This.

The OP is still around but hasn't posted since 4/26/16. I read through this and was hoping to find out what if any resolution had been reached. Maybe we'll still find out.

It's not pleasant to have discord with your neighbor. Maybe he'd rather not dwell on it anymore.

I think everybody realizes it is a year old...but weeee want to know
    sc-bee

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789