epepen
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: epepen

Default epepen

If I had a dollar for every time someone told me that "you need to carry one of those"...
    So finally I bit, went to the pharmacist, told them I keep bees, and people keep saying I need to have one for their emergencies or possibility thereof.

The guy kind of laughed and said it's a good idea but you need a prescription to get an epepen and you must get stung and nearly die to get the scrip. Really?

I've spent a certain amount of time having anxiety about "what if my neighbor's 3-yr-old get's stung and reacts".
    Low income neighborhood here so it will be frantic and I better have a danged epepen when confronted with a situation.
    I'm going to give out benedryl and admit no guilt...ask if they got the markings off the bee that did the dirty deed.

Couldn't be one of mine. I TOLD them not to do that.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: epepen

I had a friend that had a prescription get mine for me. A word of warning - they're $300.00 (and they expire)! If you have a friend that has a prescription and REALLY good insurance, you might be able to get it cheaper.

I went to an epi pen work shop at the local bee club ($20) that taught you how to use one and recognize the symptoms. She wrote out a script on what almost looked like a scrap of paper. I then went to the epi pen website and printed a coupon for the zero balance. My wife took it to the pharmacy with much skepticism and they gave us a two pack without charge. Attached is the offer they keep sending me because they know mine have been expired for some time.
    http://e.mylanspecialty.com/US_DTC_E...2bcb41#Savings
    “Why do we fall, sir? So that we might learn to pick ourselves up” Alfred Pennyworth Batman Begins (2005)

Never thought about using the internet. I kind of figured in an emergency you rushed the "victim" to the pharmacy and dared them to refuse to sell you one. I'm betting the big name brand phamacy that has a shop on every corner (you know the name) would simply call an ambulance for you.
    All I see is the zero co-pay ad and can't find a price on the thing.
    I'll look around.Oh...my goodness

Just learned a few things.
    Epinephrine...remember when you could buy it in pills?
    http://inthesetimes.com/article/1695..._sticker_shock

OUCH! HOW MUCH!?!?!?!
    I'm so glad I can safely get stung by a bee.

FYI, the friend I got mine from is so deathly allergic that he has to carry one with him everywhere he goes. He told me (when we first met & fished together) exactly where he stored his and that I had 5 MINUTES to get the injection in him if he ever got stung. My guess is anybody this allergic would know to carry one at all times, but God forbid, I ever have a guest over that is this bad and doesn't know it - that's why I chose to have one around (my hives are at my house).

Your primary care physician should have no problem writing you a script for it. If they do, go see somebody else.

Here's a link for the copay assistance program.

Quote Originally Posted by aunt betty View Post
    If I had a dollar for every time someone told me that "you need to carry one of those"...
    ...You would need about 200 or so people telling you that to pay for one.

Wayne

Sure I can get a scrip but when some second party is there gasping for air do you think it would be wise to just administer and hope everything turns out ok? Oh **** no!
    There are laws that say no. If you are stung by a bee or what you thought was a bee and think you need medical attention go find a beekeeper? No again.

I started this silly thread to point out how silly it is to suggest that I carry "the cure" for someone else. Sorry if it got too silly on us.

a friend of mines brother, who works in medicine said " it is illegal to give any medicine that has your name on it to anyone else" he said if your epipen has your name on it you are in violation of the law if you use it on someone else. so it sort of puts you in a no win situation if you have one and need it for someone else
    mike syracuse ny
    Whatever you subsidize you get more of. Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by aunt betty View Post
    Sure I can get a scrip but when some second party is there gasping for air do you think it would be wise to just administer and hope everything turns out ok? Oh **** no!
    There are laws that say no. If you are stung by a bee or what you thought was a bee and think you need medical attention go find a beekeeper? No again.

I started this silly thread to point out how silly it is to suggest that I carry "the cure" for someone else. Sorry if it got too silly on us.
    I would be afraid that "the cure" would be the thing that killed them.

I did get a perscription after the Doctor found out I mess with bees alot,never had a problem but he kinda freaked out about it saying you never know when it will happen...Good thing my insurance paid for it in full.

Quote Originally Posted by wildbranch2007 View Post
    a friend of mines brother, who works in medicine said " it is illegal to give any medicine that has your name on it to anyone else" he said if your epipen has your name on it you are in violation of the law if you use it on someone else. so it sort of puts you in a no win situation if you have one and need it for someone else
    My point exactly.
    I doubt anyone has ever died from epinephrine. It is fake adrynaline.
    No wonder they want to use it to make...that stuff and that is why it is so hard to get, even if you are dying.

I don't keep an Epi-pen. Don't intend to unless I have to. I do keep on hand liquid Benadryl, just in case "my hay fever flares up".

Jjohnsind: It is illegal under Federal law for your friend to give/transfer his prescription to you and most if all states have statutes covering the same. The more strict Federal law trumps most state laws. Next, if your friend used any kind of insurance plan to pay for a portion or all he is guilty of insurance fraud and you are an accessory. If he used medicare or Medicaid to fund the prescription now both of you are on the hook for Medicare Fraud and the Federal Gov takes a very dim view of that. In short, your friend is in a world of hurt and you are a close second. I see or hear of this every day I work.

Aunt Betty: Adrenaline is epinephrine. There is NO fake. Yes people can die from to little or too much epinephrine. It is an EpiPen or EpiPen Jr.

Fellow Beeks. This thread surfaces about every 3 months or so. Please do your own research for your own situation. I just had to pipe up as there has been so much mis-information, totally false information, and illegal suggestions.

Peter W.
    Registered Pharmacist
    Montana

EpiPens are expensive, the cheapest I've seen are about $190 for two if you don't have any insurance coverage. To acquire them at this price you must get a coupon from GoodRx LINK and type "adrenaclick" into the box which says "Find The Lowest Price", and put your zip code or City in also. Next screen on the left above "Adrenaclick" click on "epinephrine (generic)" and click "2 auto-injectors of 0.3mg" and "1 package" (2 injectors). Look for the lowest price in your area, and print out the coupon. The product is made by Lineage Therapeutics and in my area a box of two is about $190 at Walgreens which is below what I can purchase it wholesale. Of course you will need a prescription from a physician which shouldn't be a problem. The injectors are easy to use and would be invaluable if really needed.
    If you only have a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.
    Abraham Maslow

Rxmaker. Thanks for the clarifications. I still feel better having one, but I guess I can't (shouldn't) use it for others. No insurance fraud BTW - I paid $300.00. I also heard that any doctor will freely give a prescription for an epi pen - is this not correct?

jjohnsind:
    Your Dr can write you a prescription for any legal pharmaceutical(s) as long as he/she has a patient-provider relationship. Usually where people go foul is how they handle it after that. I carry Benadryl, Pepcid, and both adult and Jr EpiPen with my at all times. I usually do not have any reaction to stings but I do not know about my grandkids or other family. Being a former firefighter/EMT I have used the pen but EMS was on the way. If someone feels they need to use the EpiPen they should have EMS on the way, talking to EMS or be on the way to the nearest Urgent Care. If it does not work or works slowly you could be in a world of hurt if you are not already on the way to a higher level of support. This type of shock can take you out faster than you can say Aunt Betty.
    Peter W., Belgrade, MT, Elv. 4420 Zone 4a
    Sheepshank Honey, 8 yrs & 13 hives

Quote Originally Posted by Rxmaker View Post
    jjohnsind:
    Your Dr can write you a prescription for any legal pharmaceutical(s) as long as he/she has a patient-provider relationship. Usually where people go foul is how they handle it after that. I carry Benadryl, Pepcid, and both adult and Jr EpiPen with my at all times. I usually do not have any reaction to stings but I do not know about my grandkids or other family. Being a former firefighter/EMT I have used the pen but EMS was on the way. If someone feels they need to use the EpiPen they should have EMS on the way, talking to EMS or be on the way to the nearest Urgent Care. If it does not work or works slowly you could be in a world of hurt if you are not already on the way to a higher level of support. This type of shock can take you out faster than you can say Aunt Betty.
    Why the Pepcid?
    Tim
    "Amateurs built the Ark; Professionals built the "Titanic".

Quote Originally Posted by tim8557 View Post
    Why the Pepcid?
    It is also a histamine blocker, blocks a different 'kind'.

Benadryl is a H1 antihistamine and Famotidine (Pepcid) is an H2 antihistamine. Taken together for bee stings will work better than either alone. Use the liquid Benadryl as it is adsorbed almost instantly. Benadryl Liquid is 12.5mg/5ml and the adult dose can be 50-75mg so buy the large bottle and do the math. I would not use Claritin or Zyrtec as they take too long to come up to speed.
    Peter W., Belgrade, MT, Elv. 4420 Zone 4a
    Sheepshank Honey, 8 yrs & 13 hives

Another avenue might be by asking a pharmacist for it. Up here I can either get one under my insurance with a doctors prescription, or pay for it out of pocket if I ask for one OTC from a pharmacy. You might also look into Good Samaritan laws in your jurisdiction on the use of epipens in emergencies if you're overly concerned about using them on others, you just might be exempt from liability if you act in good faith, and they're having a severe allergic reaction.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast