Fact or Fiction: Storing supers wet prevents wax moths

Default Fact or Fiction: Storing supers wet prevents wax moths

Dialog amongst beeks with 10+ years experience during a Q&A at our last bee club meeting - they stated with surety that if honey supers are stored wet, the residual honey will prevent wax moth infestation.

What say you...Fact or Fiction?
    Christian (Chris) Schad

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Fact or Fiction: Storing supers wet prevents wax moths

I have less than 2 years experience and would not try this. I know people with active hives full of bees and honey woth wax moth problems.

Even if you dont get moths, what about ants and everythi g else attractedto sugar.

My boxes that hold super frames are rarely, if ever, affected by wax moths. My brood frames are the ones at risk. Case in point. I had a bad infestation a couple of winters ago. I run all mediums and I had carelessly stored boxes with frames up in my barn. When I pulled them out in the spring I had lots and lots of damaged brood comb but except for a few cocoons, no damage to honey comb. It was NOT stored wet. Frames stored with wax foundation was fine as well.

That's my experience.
    "My wife always wanted girls. Just not thousands and thousands of them......"

I have found they usually ignore honey, and really old brood comb (like some decades old dark stuff I received in some of my nucs). Sometimes they nest in the edges of these frames, but they don't usually tunnel through the comb.

They go crazy for freshly drawn empty comb.

I had a big strong swarm move into some wax moth infested boxes with lots of webbing, the bees were pulling the webbing right out the entrance and flying through the air with it. Checked a couple days later and I couldn't find anything left of the moths.

I used to try to clean up wax moth damage, this year as long as the frames weren't too bad I just stuck them back in the hive, and the bees made short work of them.

It is fiction. Storing supers wet will not protect them from wax moths. I have had more economic losses due to wax moths destroying comb than I have suffered from varroa mites causing colony loss. Moth damage can be prevented in stored comb by using BT or paradichlorobenzene fumigation. If only a few combs are to be stored they can be frozen. There are other methods but they are not practical for hobbyists.

I once believed moths would not damage comb that had not been used for brood, but when I lost 200 medium supers of comb that had only been used for surplus honey, I changed my mind. BT works best if the comb has been dried by the bees before it is sprayed.
    42 + years - 24 colonies - IPM disciple - Naturally Skeptic

Storing empties in acetic acid fumigation also keep pests out, and kills some diseases.

Fiction

Crazy Roland

fiction.

the smell of the honey will more quickly attract the wax moths.

Shb would have a field day. In my area it would be better to burn them then store them wet with no treatment.

I've always stored 'em wet & never had wax moths in honey supers. They've torn up brood comb, but never clean wet super comb. I guess I've just been lucky.
    After 40 years of beekeeping, I've come to realize that the bees can fix most of my mistakes.

Yea Fiction, tore thru all my comb in 2013 irregardless of type
    Dad always said " Smart like tractor, strong like bull "