Unhappy Neighbors - Page 2
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Default Re: Unhappy Neighbors

Can you face the entrance a different direction? Sounds like when they are mowing in their own yard, they are going right through the flight path. So, the hives must be really close to the property line.

As others have said, if you have 17 acres, surely there's a place you can put them where the neighbors can't even see them? Out of sight, out of mind. Or put them on the other side of your house. At the least, put them with the entrance facing into your lot, not toward the neighbors, and a lot more than 3 feet from the property line. Even though I'm a beekeeper, I would be annoyed if I was mowing my lawn and my neighbor had arranged hives so when I was minding my business mowing, I was in his/her bees' flight path.

Or put a fence up around the hives to make the bees fly upward. I have a tiny yard, and my hives also face the neighbors. But there's a 6-foot fence about 4 feet in front of the entrance, plus buildings, trees, etc. on all the other sides of the hive, so my bees fly straight up as soon as they come out. They're like 20 or 30 feet high before they fly over the neighbors. The neighbors never even see them. The fence doesn't bother me since I don't work the hives from the front.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

If I had 17 acres and a scared neighbor, I think I would try to find a location away from the property line and put up a barrier if their is not a natural barrier.

If you look at it from the neighbors prospective, You live in a state full of "Killer Bees" and your bees are so dangerous that you have to put on a full bee suit to protect yourself.

Good fences make good neighbors. Move the hives away from the neighbor's fenceline. You were the one that was rude, dropping hives onto the fenceline without asking if the neighbor felt impacted.

Fear of bees in Texas is not irrational, but is founded on Africanized bee attacks.

A bit of humility in someone who has only kept bees since May is appropriate. Wait until September, and then the bees will be really aggressive. Get the situation under control now. Every September, the forum is filled with posts from newbees asking "how can I kill my aggressive hive", when in fact you are seeing the natural evolution of a strong, stressed colony. The one I remember best is from RHAldridge, who has since completely dropped off the forum (after publishing a pamphlet on his "beekeeping method" after 6 months of experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenseye View Post
    In the long run, neighbors and bees are more about neighbors and neighbors. I'm not one to get laws, judges, statutes, agreements and restrictions involved. If they were my bees, I'd be looking to get them moved somewhere else so that the flight pattern would be less direct and the hives would be more private. Your neighbors may be asking a lot and they may be rude and they may be irrational but trying to change them with a letter and a 6' high barrier may not be enough. I hope that it is and that your long term relationship will be a great one.
    Best response.

Quote Originally Posted by kaizen View Post
    am I reading this right? You have 17acres and you're insistent to keep them that close to the neighbor?? just sayin if you move a few feet you might as well move them a few acres. I have less then half an acre and I put mine on the side of my yard not next to my neighbors. it has a 6 foot picket fence behind and I added a few on the sides to keep my bees safe from people. no one even knows I have them. you have the land set up an apiary that has room to grow and maybe fenced in all around to protect the bees from predators . not saying she is right but I'm sure she can go out at 3am and douse your hives with insecticide so I'd get them away
    Educating people out of fear is not an overnight process. I agree...

I think I would start trying to get to know them a bit. It's surprising how hard it is for someone to complain about or to a person that has been nice to them. Honey sure will help.

I have only 1/4 acre in the suburbs. My hives are in a 4ft tall dog kennel, to keep my hunny-happy dog away from them, btw. The hives entraces are only 2 feet from the kennel chain link. They could simply fly through the fence, but they don't know that, so they fly up, up, up and away. They are usually 15 feet or more in the air before they fly away and disappear from sight. My neighbors actually forgot that I keep bees! They have noted no increase in bees in their yards! A barrier screen even 15 feet from the hive will still force them to fly over it, if they happen to want to go that direction. But you have no control over which direction the fly, or when they come down once they are over any obstruction you place.

It has been recommended that yo move them away from your neighbor. That's a good start; out of sight, out of mind. You might also try offering to look at that "swarm" they are so afraid of. It might turn out to be a yellow jacket nest in their field, which could be destroyed. Or it might turn out to be a AHB colony nearby, which can also be destroyed. Or it could even turn out to be a nice, calm feral colony you can collect to expand your apiary (well out of sight of the neighbor, of course). You might even make a friend that way.

Pnutbrand - The letter we have penned outlines everything that you have suggested.

kaizen - Yes. We have 17 acres and they have over 80. We are at the back of he property, so in reality I am near no one on that side. The rest of our property is pretty thick and/or too close to other neighbor's homes and barns. We planned our location out very carefully, and would have discussed it with her (them) if they were reachable or would stop when we flagged them down time after time.

MY fear is exactly what you mentioned, her sneaking over and spraying my hives. People can be cruel and I want to avoid it.
    And what I meant when I said I think it is funny that she drove by weeks before and there wasn't an issue was that she seemed completely unafraid. The bees didn't pay her any mind, nor did she have the paralyzing fear that her partner described.

The 3' compromise came from what we learned when we went to Beekeeping 101 and what we've been told by the countless folks that we have connected with through this endeavor. Moving a Hive 3' or 3 miles.

Your posting history indicates you hived a wild colony out of a down tree on March 30th. That colony (in Texas) is almost certainly Africanized. I would suggest you get off the high horse, and make your neighbors happy. You will have these neighbors longer than you have these bees.

Quote Originally Posted by JWChesnut View Post
    Your posting history indicates you hived a wild colony out of a down tree on March 30th. That colony (in Texas) is almost certainly Africanized. I would suggest you get off the high horse, and make your neighbors happy. You will have these neighbors longer than you have these bees.
    Wow. This thread just took a nasty turn.

That colony has since absconded. We now have four colonies - three nucs that were purchased from reputable local Apiaries and one swarm that was rescued from the under side of a pipe rack next to my place of employment. Thanks, but we do not have Africanized bees.

If the flight path is interfering with the neighbors and you have 17 acres, I'd just move them back from the fence and face them away from the fence. It's not like you don't have the room. I don't see any good reason to put up a solid fence to change their path when you can change their path by moving the hives... but if you want to keep them there, then yes, put up a barrier that is over the heads of the people who are a concern (this may be the height of the head of the person on the tractor... and you can put it as close as 12" if you like, but why not give the bees more room since you have room...
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 42y 40h 39yTF

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Bush View Post
    If the flight path is interfering with the neighbors and you have 17 acres, I'd just move them back from the fence and face them away from the fence. It's not like you don't have the room. I don't see any good reason to put up a solid fence to change their path when you can change their path by moving the hives... but if you want to keep them there, then yes, put up a barrier that is over the heads of the people who are a concern (this may be the height of the head of the person on the tractor... and you can put it as close as 12" if you like, but why not give the bees more room since you have room...
    Thanks, Mr. Bush.
    We are putting the barrier up this afternoon, and we are going to push them back a bit. I'd rather not have a barrier at all but I think the neighbors would appreciate not seeing them.

I'm getting a lot of responses that I'm seeing after I've posted to others - sorry for the scatter pattern!

Quote Originally Posted by Hops Brewster View Post
    I have only 1/4 acre in the suburbs. My hives are in a 4ft tall dog kennel, to keep my hunny-happy dog away from them, btw. The hives entraces are only 2 feet from the kennel chain link. They could simply fly through the fence, but they don't know that, so they fly up, up, up and away. They are usually 15 feet or more in the air before they fly away and disappear from sight. My neighbors actually forgot that I keep bees! They have noted no increase in bees in their yards! A barrier screen even 15 feet from the hive will still force them to fly over it, if they happen to want to go that direction. But you have no control over which direction the fly, or when they come down once they are over any obstruction you place.

It has been recommended that yo move them away from your neighbor. That's a good start; out of sight, out of mind. You might also try offering to look at that "swarm" they are so afraid of. It might turn out to be a yellow jacket nest in their field, which could be destroyed. Or it might turn out to be a AHB colony nearby, which can also be destroyed. Or it could even turn out to be a nice, calm feral colony you can collect to expand your apiary (well out of sight of the neighbor, of course). You might even make a friend that way.
    Love your name!
    Good idea about asking them about the "swarm". In the letter that we wrote we gave them all of our contact info and totally opened the door for dialog, asking them to please call us. I hope they do.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Beeman View Post
    Have her and her put on a bee suit and help you inspect the hive. Then, give them a quart of fresh honey.
    I'm glad that I'm not the only one who picked up that little bit of info in post #11. To each their own......

Quote Originally Posted by MizAmberLea View Post
    Wow. This thread just took a nasty turn.

That colony has since absconded. We now have four colonies - three nucs that were purchased from reputable local Apiaries and one swarm that was rescued from the under side of a pipe rack next to my place of employment. Thanks, but we do not have Africanized bees.
    Cause everyone is telling you to move them to another acreage and you are not going to. its great you planned out that spot exactly. plans change.

Quote Originally Posted by Hops Brewster View Post

Love your name!
    Good idea about asking them about the "swarm". In the letter that we wrote we gave them all of our contact info and totally opened the door for dialog, asking them to please call us. I hope they do.

Quote Originally Posted by MizAmberLea View Post
    Love your name!
    Why a letter? That seems so impersonal. Wouldnt the idea be - to make friends? If my neighbor sent me a 'letter' - I think I'd be a bit put off. Why not just go over, and introduce yourself and ask them if they have time to talk about your bees and what can be done to make everyone happy?

Quote Originally Posted by kaizen View Post
    Cause everyone is telling you to move them to another acreage and you are not going to. its great you planned out that spot exactly. plans change.
    No, I posted on this forum to get advice and opinions. I welcome views from others - that is how we all learn. I just didn't expect the "high horse" comment and felt it was a bit nasty.

Take a quart of honey with you. Even if it's not yours.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave A. View Post
    Why a letter? That seems so impersonal. Wouldnt the idea be - to make friends? If my neighbor sent me a 'letter' - I think I'd be a bit put off. Why not just go over, and introduce yourself and ask them if they have time to talk about your bees and what can be done to make everyone happy?
    We can't get to their house. The entrance to their property is gated, you can't even see their house from the main road. On our side you can't see it, either. They have a pretty nice piece of land and have nested themselves within it.

When we have seen them in that back field we have approached the fence and waived to them, motioning that we'd like them to come closer. (Not near the hives, but on various locations along that fence). They look right at us and keep on moving.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast