Wide honey at top with brood

Default Wide honey at top with brood

I have all my topbars at 1-3/8". I know honey will be wider. As the girls build, I find that I get the customary band of honey at the top of the bar an dthen pollen and brood. But that honey is very wide and frankly they are starting to connect the neighboring bar, at the honey band. I keep knocking it bad and try to throw in empty bars to give them something to do.

What should I do? I could trim back some, but that is going to smother the brood. Maybe it is a non-issue. Just trying to keep up with things.

Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Wide honey at top with brood

mine do the same thing. The honey at the top connects to the next bar and every time I inspect, it "uncaps" one. During the main flow (which is the only time it's a real problem), I bring a knife and Tupperware container out to the hive and trim off the deep "fins". Then I use this "honey" right away to sweeten applesauce or something that will get used up quickly. It's not had enough water reduced out of it to keep on the shelf for a long time, but it still tastes wonderful. The bees don't seem to build the deep cells back as long as I keep cutting them off, they go build on another bar.

Default Re: Wide honey at top with brood

Quote Originally Posted by ruthiesbees View Post
    mine do the same thing. The honey at the top connects to the next bar and every time I inspect, it "uncaps" one. During the main flow (which is the only time it's a real problem), I bring a knife and Tupperware container out to the hive and trim off the deep "fins". Then I use this "honey" right away to sweeten applesauce or something that will get used up quickly. It's not had enough water reduced out of it to keep on the shelf for a long time, but it still tastes wonderful. The bees don't seem to build the deep cells back as long as I keep cutting them off, they go build on another bar.
    I've had to manage comb a couple different ways, from my very limited experience...

1. Curved comb - even slightly curved, is an issue. Over time the curve exxagerates bar by bar until you get one that's cross combed. It's inevitable. Sometimes flipping them around and letting them correct works.
    2. Some of my bars are thick but straight... and I've thrown in a small spacer that they usually are ok with, don't in-fill wierd comb onto, and even through it technically violates bee space, the next comb seems straight, centered and ok. Doesn't always work.
    Some of my bars are offset or oddly thick like the ones Ruth mentions... and this creates weird patterns in the next comb, and attachments from the comb on one bar to the one on the next bar... I've decided it's just best to cut these down, tighten up the spacing, and let them re-do the thick section in a thinner manner. It acts like a curved comb in how it directs them on the next comb, pretty much.