Police made me move my hives.. - Page 3
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 83
  1. #41
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Stilwell, KS
    Posts
    3,112

    Default Re: Police made me move my hives..

    Quote Originally Posted by Billboard View Post
    So if I want to keep bees it's my god given right to do so.
    Ah yes, the ol' 28th Amendment.
    Honey Badger Don't Care ಠ_ಠ ~=[,,_,,]:3

  2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. #42
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Monroe County, PA, USA
    Posts
    234

    Default Re: Police made me move my hives..

    Quote Originally Posted by Nabber86 View Post
    Ah yes, the ol' 28th Amendment.
    The 9th Amendment??

    I love being in an ag. security zone.

  4. #43
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Stilwell, KS
    Posts
    3,112

    Default Re: Police made me move my hives..

    Quote Originally Posted by Cabin View Post
    The 9th Amendment??

    Beekeeping is not a right.
    Honey Badger Don't Care ಠ_ಠ ~=[,,_,,]:3

  5. #44
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Kennewick, Wa
    Posts
    74

    Default Re: Police made me move my hives..

    Its always the minority that cause the problems of unjust laws to be past, common sense is not always conveyed.

  6. #45
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Calgary, Alberta, Canada
    Posts
    152

    Default Re: Police made me move my hives..

    Quote Originally Posted by Billboard View Post
    They are working on it pal never said anything like that. And you said I'm above the law not me. But if they would just mind their own business all would be good. It's not like there's satanic rituals going on.
    The thought of satanic rituals involving bees made me giggle out loud... thanks...

    "We hail thee, great lord Satan, lord of the bee... OUCH! *swat... swat*.. we implore thee for guidance in ... OUCH.. *swat swat*...oh, to heck with it, I'm going back to that religion with less stings..."

  7. #46
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Calgary, Alberta, Canada
    Posts
    152

    Default Re: Police made me move my hives..

    Quote Originally Posted by Barry Digman View Post
    Just a reminder from the rules of this forum:
    Hey, I hear every day liberties are being taken away, and if Billboard wants to use unacceptable words, I suspect he thinks it's his god given right to do so...

  8. #47
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Calgary, Alberta, Canada
    Posts
    152

    Default Re: Police made me move my hives..

    Quote Originally Posted by thehackleguy View Post
    BRILLIANT!

    Unless the bylaw prohibits equipment.. :>

  9. #48
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    lake hopatcong nj
    Posts
    864

    Default Re: Police made me move my hives..

    Then go and fight it at a state level. If enough of the bee organizations in a particular state work together, it can be done. I don't think anyone said it would be easy.

  10. #49
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Stilwell, KS
    Posts
    3,112

    Default Re: Police made me move my hives..

    Quote Originally Posted by trottet1 View Post
    Then go and fight it at a state level. If enough of the bee organizations in a particular state work together, it can be done. I don't think anyone said it would be easy.
    The state really has no say in local ordinances.
    Honey Badger Don't Care ಠ_ಠ ~=[,,_,,]:3

  11. #50
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    lake hopatcong nj
    Posts
    864

    Default Re: Police made me move my hives..

    Quote Originally Posted by Nabber86 View Post
    The state really has no say in local ordinances.
    100 percent false. Someone here states that Georgia over ruled and made it illegal for municipalities to forbid beekeeping. And where I am from here in jersey, same thing. It actually just happened a week or so ago.

  12. #51
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Stilwell, KS
    Posts
    3,112

    Default Re: Police made me move my hives..

    Quote Originally Posted by trottet1 View Post
    100 percent false. Someone here states that Georgia over ruled and made it illegal for municipalities to forbid beekeeping. And where I am from here in jersey, same thing. It actually just happened a week or so ago.
    Are you sure about that? I believe you are referencing this Georgia state code. It starts out great, but please read the last sentence very, very carefully:

    2-14-41.1. Prohibition against restriction of honeybee production or maintenance.
    No county, municipal corporation, consolidated government, or other political subdivision of this state shall adopt or continue in effect any ordinance, rule, regulation, or resolution prohibiting, impeding, or restricting the establishment or maintenance of honeybees in hives. This Code section shall not be construed to restrict the zoning authority of county or municipal governments.

    If you are confused, here is a hint: Local government can't pass ordinances, rules, regulations, or resolutions prohibiting beekeeping, but they can pass and uphold codes.

    Here is a link: http://agr.georgia.gov/Data/Sites/1/...4-40beelaw.pdf





    Also people need to stop citing the Right to Farm Act. It does not apply to backyard beekeepers. Here is a link to the Georgia's Right to Farm Code:

    41-1-7. Treatment of agricultural facilities and operations and forest land as nuisances:
    http://www.farmlandinfo.org/sites/de...A_41-1-7_1.htm

    Note the definition of the terms "Agriculture area" and "Agriculture facility" and ponder if your suburban backyard fits these definitions.
    Honey Badger Don't Care ಠ_ಠ ~=[,,_,,]:3

  13. #52
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    lake hopatcong nj
    Posts
    864

    Default Re: Police made me move my hives..

    I did not read the Georgia laws and that is why I also gave NJ as an example. This one I gave a pretty good read, unless I missed something or misinterpreted the read.

    http://www.northjersey.com/mobile/ne...ping-1.1001562

    I believe at the time of this article, the legislation was pending. I fail to find the announcement that governor Christie passed this last week. In either case, it shows that we can make diplomatic advances in law reform.

  14. #53
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Stilwell, KS
    Posts
    3,112

    Default Re: Police made me move my hives..

    Quote Originally Posted by trottet1 View Post
    I did not read the Georgia laws and that is why I also gave NJ as an example. This one I gave a pretty good read, unless I missed something or misinterpreted the read.

    http://www.northjersey.com/mobile/ne...ping-1.1001562

    I believe at the time of this article, the legislation was pending. I fail to find the announcement that governor Christie passed this last week. In either case, it shows that we can make diplomatic advances in law reform.

    That is a news article talking about pending legislation and I wouldn't be claiming anything based on it. Here is a link to the bill:

    http://www.njleg.state.nj.us/2014/Bi...00/1294_R1.HTM

    It is pretty vague and looks suspiciously similar to the Georgia's (or any other state's) Right to Farm laws (which makes sense because they are all based on the same Federal legislation, i.e, they are all going to read they same). The article you provided a link to, loosely interprets the bill as granting the right for anyone in NJ to keep bees anywhere they want to. After the bill is enacted, we can continue this conversation.

    Please note that the old saying "Don't shoot the messenger" applies here. I am just telling you how it is. As a libertarian, I think anyone should be allowed to keep bees anywhere they want to, until you violate somebody else's right to not be affected by your nuisance.
    Honey Badger Don't Care ಠ_ಠ ~=[,,_,,]:3

  15. #54
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Savannah, GA USA
    Posts
    24

    Default Re: Police made me move my hives..

    Quote Originally Posted by Nabber86 View Post
    Also people need to stop citing the Right to Farm Act. It does not apply to backyard beekeepers. Here is a link to the Georgia's Right to Farm Code:

    41-1-7. Treatment of agricultural facilities and operations and forest land as nuisances:
    http://www.farmlandinfo.org/sites/de...A_41-1-7_1.htm

    Note the definition of the terms "Agriculture area" and "Agriculture facility" and ponder if your suburban backyard fits these definitions.
    I have to disagree with your reading of the OCGA 41-1-7. I believe it clearly applies to all beekeeping within the great state of Georgia. It defines the keeping of honeybees as an agricultural operation, making the hives and possibly your home (during extractions) an agricultural facility.

    Where the local authorities can get us is via zoning of the individual properties. If it's not zoned agricultural then there may be limits or prohibitions against agricultural facilities. In the past municipalities have used these definitions to infer that honeybees are livestock, which may cause many conflicts with local residential and commercial zoning.

  16. #55
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    lake hopatcong nj
    Posts
    864

    Default Re: Police made me move my hives..

    I actually did read last week that it was approved and passed. I just can't seem to find it as I have already invested way too much time into this thread. I guess my original point is, there is no God given rights, but we do have rights and power to change things if we so choose to atleast try.

  17. #56
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Stilwell, KS
    Posts
    3,112

    Default Re: Police made me move my hives..

    Quote Originally Posted by Ekosshadow View Post
    I have to disagree with your reading of the OCGA 41-1-7. I believe it clearly applies to all beekeeping within the great state of Georgia. It defines the keeping of honeybees as an agricultural operation, making the hives and possibly your home (during extractions) an agricultural facility.

    Where the local authorities can get us is via zoning of the individual properties. If it's not zoned agricultural then there may be limits or prohibitions against agricultural facilities. In the past municipalities have used these definitions to infer that honeybees are livestock, which may cause many conflicts with local residential and commercial zoning.
    "Agricultural area" means any land which is, or may be, legally used for an agricultural operation under applicable zoning laws, rules, and regulations at the time of commencement of the agricultural operation

    This means that if your property is not zoned as agricultural, it does not apply to you. Very few people a city are living on land that is zoned as agricultural so it does not apply to backyard beekeepers.


    Any land which is not subject to zoning laws, rules, and regulations at the time of commencement of an agricultural operation of an agricultural facility and throughout the first year of operation of such agricultural facility shall be deemed an "agricultural area" for purposes of this Code section.

    This gives you some room to fight if your land is not zoned and you begin an agricultural operation. If you meet the conditions your land may be zoned agricultural (grandfather clause).


    (2) "Agricultural facility" includes, but is not limited to, any land, building, structure, pond, impoundment, appurtenance, machinery, or equipment which is used for the commercial production or processing of crops, livestock, animals, poultry, honeybees, honeybee products, livestock products, poultry products, timber, forest products, or products which are used in commercial aquaculture. Such term shall also include any farm labor camp or facilities for migrant farm workers.

    I doubt any suburbanite meets the above criteria. Note the definition includes the the term "commercial production". Even if you sell honey to your friends and neighbors, or even sell at a farmer's market, a couple of hives does not constitute commercial production is most jurisdictions.

    (3) "Agricultural operation" means:

    (A) The plowing, tilling, or preparation of soil at an agricultural facility;

    (B) The planting, growing, fertilizing, harvesting, or otherwise maintaining of crops as defined in Code Section 1-3-3 and also timber and trees that are grown for purposes other than for harvest and for sale;

    (C) The application of pesticides, herbicides, or other chemicals, compounds, or substances to crops, weeds, or soil in connection with the production of crops, timber, livestock, animals, or poultry;

    Again, most of the above does apply to a suburban area.
    Honey Badger Don't Care ಠ_ಠ ~=[,,_,,]:3

  18. #57
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Stilwell, KS
    Posts
    3,112

    Default Re: Police made me move my hives..

    Quote Originally Posted by trottet1 View Post
    I actually did read last week that it was approved and passed. I just can't seem to find it as I have already invested way too much time into this thread. I guess my original point is, there is no God given rights, but we do have rights and power to change things if we so choose to atleast try.
    No argument there. I would be surprised if it did, but I hope it works out.
    Honey Badger Don't Care ಠ_ಠ ~=[,,_,,]:3

  19. #58
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Savannah, GA USA
    Posts
    24

    Default Re: Police made me move my hives..

    Quote Originally Posted by Nabber86 View Post
    This means that if your property is not zoned as agricultural, it does not apply to you. Very few people a city are living on land that is zoned as agricultural so it does not apply to backyard beekeepers.
    This is a huge assumption. I own property in multiple counties of Georgia and zoning laws differ greatly between them. You have to look at the specific municipality to determine the truth of this on a case by case basis.

  20. #59
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Stilwell, KS
    Posts
    3,112

    Default Re: Police made me move my hives..

    Quote Originally Posted by Ekosshadow View Post
    This is a huge assumption. I own property in multiple counties of Georgia and zoning laws differ greatly between them. You have to look at the specific municipality to determine the truth of this on a case by case basis.
    Counties yes, but I don't think it is a huge assumption to say that most people living within a city are not on agriculturally zoned land.

    Anyway if you are ag zoned it a city, there is no problem, so carry on as you wish.
    Honey Badger Don't Care ಠ_ಠ ~=[,,_,,]:3

  21. #60
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Savannah, GA USA
    Posts
    24

    Default Re: Police made me move my hives..

    Quote Originally Posted by Nabber86 View Post
    Counties yes, but I don't think it is a huge assumption to say that most people living within a city are not on agriculturally zoned land.

    Anyway if you are ag zoned it a city, there is no problem, so carry on as you wish.
    I am speaking of residential zoning, county or city doesn't matter. Many local codes in Georgia allow for agricultural use on residential zoning though often limited. My point is that the language is not cut and paste between individual municipalities down here.

    We're such an old state and we've got so many old and archaic laws on the books down here it's sometimes humorous reading through them. I just read one residential restriction that says I "cannot sell large livestock from the property unless the parking area is set back at least 25 feet from the property line." Another property, another county, specifically states "no poultry or livestock may be kept", apparently there is a difference. If neighbors start complaining down here, trying to decode how the law applies to honeybees may come down to how good of a lawyer each side has. The beeks vs the city of Savannah has been through years of battles trying to make everybody happy in how the laws are applied. Happily, I technically live in a neighboring municipality.

    To each there own in whether they decide to follow or ignore the letter of the law.

    Outside of the legalities, I've found that a neighbor with that "questioning look" in his eye is often put at ease with a simple show and tell of some bee equipment and a free jar of honey or cut comb. Tell him it's honey from his flowers, he'll be bragging to all his family members about how great it is.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •