Police made me move my hives..
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Default Police made me move my hives..

So I Finally got 2 hives everything was going good, I figured grandpa had 4 hives in his backyard for years it was ok ,NOPE I know I should have asked the city clerk checked ordinances..... Someone calls the cops -find out bees are not allowed in the city limits they give me a few days to move them .
    So I move them last night it was cool out they were still very unhappy ,only got stung like 8 times .
    Took them to in laws they are in a woodsy spot they called this morning said they are going in and out of the hives , I am going out later to make sure they are sitting stable and all it was getting pretty late when I got them restacked and all. and the bees were pretty pissed so I left about 1130 pm.
    Question -ideas ,are they going to recover or do alright? . they were both full of honey on the 1st super and I had just added a 2nd one a couple nights ago. Thanks david

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Police made me move my hives..

if they are reorienting to their new spot, and you left them with a safe and secure home, they should be good.
    Zone 7a

They should be just fine. Stung 8 times...? I've moved six this year in the dark or early morning hours and haven't had a single sting. What in the world are you doing to them?

Don't you hate nieghbors that have nothing better to do than tell on others. That is the exact reason mine are hidden. My town doesn't allow bees either in subdivisions and your yard is suppose to be a certain minimum size. My yard qualifies but I'm in a subdivision. I'm at the end in a culdasac and have woods behind me and a creek. But mine are hidden good. No neighbors have said anything about a increase of bees. So I'm adding a couple more hives next year.

Quote Originally Posted by Billboard View Post
    Don't you hate nieghbors that have nothing better to do than tell on others. That is the exact reason mine are hidden. My town doesn't allow bees either in subdivisions and your yard is suppose to be a certain minimum size. My yard qualifies but I'm in a subdivision. I'm at the end in a culdasac and have woods behind me and a creek. But mine are hidden good. No neighbors have said anything about a increase of bees. So I'm adding a couple more hives next year.
    Don't you hate beekeepers who think they are above the law and don't' care to put in the work necessary to get the ordinance changed? I mean really all that education and advocacy...who needs that. I don't care about anyone else, I will just keep my bees.

#facepalm
    Last edited by Barry Digman; 07-08-2015 at 01:36 PM.
    Technology is great.....when it works.

They are working on it pal never said anything like that. And you said I'm above the law not me. But if they would just mind their own business all would be good. It's not like there's satanic rituals going on.

Quote Originally Posted by brettj777 View Post
    Don't you hate beekeepers who think they are above the law and don't' care to put in the work necessary to get the ordinance changed? I mean really all that education and advocacy...who needs that. I don't care about anyone else, I will just keep my bees.

#facepalm
    Last I thought this was America a free nation. Everyday our liberties are being taken away. So if I want to keep bees it's my god given right to do so.
    Last edited by Barry; 07-08-2015 at 03:38 PM.

Just a reminder from the rules of this forum:

Language/Profanity. It is not acceptable to infer the use of a profane word by an acronym, or using **** or $^@*!. By the use of such characters it's being acknowledged by the user that the word implied isn't acceptable. Do not use language that is lewd, vulgar, coarse, off-color, crass, derogatory, or obscene. Respect the sites desire to not have any form of suggestive language used in its forums.
    Nobody ruins my day without my permission, and I refuse to grant it...

I'm with Billboard. Most anti-bee ordinances are because people are ignorant and scared of bees, not because the bees do anything harmful. I also have my hive hidden and surrounded by fences, trees, and buildings because my yard is technically too small to have bees in, according to local ordinances. The bees fly straight up to the stratosphere before heading out to forage and not one of my neighbors can even see them as they fly high over their yards. No one knows, no one cares, all the gardens and fruit trees around here are doing great, no one knows why, and I'm not gonna tell them.

If it is legal to keep bees on an apartment balcony in New York City, where people are totally jammed together, (and it is legal), then I don't see why I can't have them on my 40 x 100 foot lot. Just the stupidity of local laws.

Gtbread I'm glad you found a safe place to move them to. Sounds like they will do well and I'm glad your inlaws are happy about having bees.

Last I thought this was America a free nation. Everyday our liberties are being taken away. So if I want to keep bees it's my god given right to do so.

You totally missed brettj's point. And you do feel you are above the law. Your town ordinance says that you can not have them and you said you have them hidden because it is your god given right. It's not your god given right. We have laws and regulations that a civilized society has set forth. Yes, some of these rules are stupid, as in your case. But brett point was why not keep fighting the town and the ordinance and fix the law. As opposed to just breaking the law. Read your posts again, you contradict yourself pretty badly.

We all love our "god given rights" until a neighbor decides to exercise their "god given right" to do something we don't like. Like run a junk business in their yard, or house a rock band in the garage, or park on our lawn or use the street as a drag strip or house a pack of free-range snarly dogs .

I'm sure the neighbors that complain feel they have a "god given right" to not have bees next door and since "America is a free nation," they couldn't be forced to have bee hives move in next door.

The "god given right" and the "I thought America was a free nation" argument is just silly. Few laws will ever please everyone and it's silly to think that.

Enough beekeepers in the area could work to change Lodi, Wisconsin's law.

Wayne

Always know the laws prior to upstart in some project like beekeeping. It's not a problem until someone complains. My neighbor called the HOA prez when I started putting hives up. HOA President didn't have anything to say to me cause it's not in the Rules. Amazing cause we have some dumb rules, thankfully we don't have uppity people in our neighborhood.

Quote Originally Posted by trottet1 View Post
    We have laws and regulations that a civilized society has set forth.
    Actually most of the laws that are "stupid" are set forth by groups with a lot of money and their own agenda. I think it is funny when someone says that in a democracy "majority rules". Well, that is not how it is supposed to work, even small groups and minorities are supposed to have "equal representation and protection" which they rarely to in today's world no matter where you live.
    zone 5b
    Back in 2019!

I'd put an empty beehive in the yard and go out occasionally in my suit with the smoker pretending that I still had bees.
    Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards

Quote Originally Posted by BeeGora View Post
    I'd put an empty beehive in the yard and go out occasionally in my suit with the smoker pretending that I still had bees.
    BRILLIANT!
    zone 5b
    Back in 2019!

Well with the news about the bee population failing and the need for pollinators I would think this would be a great opportunity to have the ordinance changed. Get some local beekeepers help you educate the powers at be.

Quote Originally Posted by thehackleguy View Post
    Actually most of the laws that are "stupid" are set forth by groups with a lot of money and their own agenda. I think it is funny when someone says that in a democracy "majority rules". Well, that is not how it is supposed to work, even small groups and minorities are supposed to have "equal representation and protection" which they rarely to in today's world no matter where you live.
    Yea, not in this particular case. In this case, the ordinance is based on ignorance. Not some anti bee agenda. It is our job as bee enthusiasts to educate this ignorance in a diplomatic fashion.

Come on down to Georgia.

State Law #2-14-41.1. Prohibition against restriction of honeybee production or maintenance.
    No county, municipal corporation, consolidated government, or other political subdivision of this state shall adopt or continue in effect any ordinance, rule, regulation, or resolution prohibiting, impeding, or restricting the establishment or maintenance of honeybees in hives. This Code section shall not be construed to restrict the zoning authority of county or municipal governments.

Look up the difference between malum prohibitum and malum in se laws. I personally choose which malum prohibitum laws I follow based on my own guidelines. I've long ago learned I cannot go through a day without violating numerous of the malum prohibitum laws on the books even if I were to try.
    Last edited by maudbid; 07-08-2015 at 03:32 PM.

I would build lawn furniture to resemble bee hives to drive the neighbor who complained crazy. Make a mail box post from old hives!

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast