can you get a partial sting? glove questions.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default can you get a partial sting? glove questions.

A couple of days ago I worked with the hives. Was suited up. I did not have bee gloves on, but did put on some leather cycling gloves. They are better fitting more flexible and I thought I would give them a try.

I am pretty sure I got zapped through them, but did not see sacs on the gloves. I felt a jab and it hurt while working on two fingers. I fully expected to see swelling etc later but that did not happen.

Is is possible to get partially strung. Ie can the stinger penetrate enough to break skin without getting barbed. Its also possible the stinger and sac disloged while I was working
    That would not explain not having a reaction to the venom in a sting. I usually have a black dot as well.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: can you get a partial sting? glove questions.

Yes. I've had it happen more than a few times. Either because of movement (the bee just couldn't finish stinging due to our mutual movement), a glove or other barrier. I've been "stung" through gloves where the stinger was stuck in the leather and I felt the sting but there was nothing in my skin to remove.
    "My wife always wanted girls. Just not thousands and thousands of them......"

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenseye View Post
    Yes. I've had it happen more than a few times. Either because of movement (the bee just couldn't finish stinging due to our mutual movement), a glove or other barrier. I've been "stung" through gloves where the stinger was stuck in the leather and I felt the sting but there was nothing in my skin to remove.
    +1
    Ive experienced the same thing as well.

Stings are a small thing. Not to be encouraged but I seldom wear gloves anymore unless the bees are really unpset. If you keep bees it is actually harmfull to be around bees without getting stung regularly. That is the way the allergy strikes.

I've so far always worn goatskin gloves, and got a sting the other day that came in through a seam. There was no stinger left behind. There was no immediate swelling or redness, but a day or so later the familiar itch came along.
    Pete. New 2013, 12 hives, zone 6a
    To study and not think is a waste. To think and not study is dangerous.

I think the venom can be deposited on the surface of the skin without being pierced by the stinger and get a mild reaction.
    Brian Cardinal
    Zone 5a, Practicing non-intervention beekeeping

I just wear nitrile gloves as my hands are big anyway, and any added bulk makes it almost impossible to remove frames without crushing bees. I do get stung through them. The other day I got stung through them right beside the nail, wow, one of the most painful stings I have received since I started. G
    The Bees are the Beekeepers

Getting partially stung is like getting partially pregnant. Out of my 94 stings over the past 15 months (yes, I keep track) I can say I have had all sorts of sting severities and degrees, but every single thing I count as a sting burns because of the venom. I've had stings in my bare skin where the barb did not take and the bee flew off unharmed. I've also had those stings where the sack pumped away for a long time until I could get to do something. I've been stung through gloves, even leather once, through shirts and pants, through my veil. Those never leave a stinger in me, but they do leave venom. As far as reactions, I've had the full gambit from nothing other than the initial burn to looking like a character from Avatar (inside the nose sucks).

Quote Originally Posted by maudbid View Post
    Out of my 94 stings over the past 15 months (yes, I keep track) I can say I have had all sorts of sting severities and degrees, but every single thing I count as a sting burns because of the venom.
    How did you manage to perform such a feat? That is over 10 stings a month, assuming you did not get stung during the winter months. I don't think I have had over 10 stings per year.
    Honey Badger Don't Care ಠ_ಠ ~=[,,_,,]:3

I did a cut out removal of a Ferrell Bee colony. My hand swelled up. Never got stung directly through the glove. I however did have a reaction with my hand swelling up. I attribute to some of the stingers barely penetrating and scratching the skin as I moved my hands to do things.

I use 7 mil nitrile gloves. They have their pros and cons ... one con is a determined bee can sting thru them. I got nailed on the right hand yesterday.

After having this happen several times, I've never had as much reaction when stung thru the gloves. The stinger is easy to see and flicks off easily. I believe the stinger does not go as deeply into the skin, and I get less venom delivered.

I use dish gloves with Mechanix gloves over top and I've still gotten partial stings (felt the burn, but no stinger to get out and the burn went away with no swelling).
    Zone 7a

Stings don't bother me as much as the intense itching that starts 12 hours later and lasts several days.
    Tim
    "Amateurs built the Ark; Professionals built the "Titanic".

I have taken several stings to my cheap leather gloves. Most of them don't make it through to my skin. I can feel the vibration as they try to fly away and the venom sack pulls out. I am pretty sure that the ones that make it trough to my skin don't deliver nearly as much venom as stings to my bare skin.
    Honey Badger Don't Care ಠ_ಠ ~=[,,_,,]:3

The other day, I was actually stung by the same bee twice. The first sting was through my shirt which was thick enough to not let the stinger go in far enough to get stuck in my skin. The stinger and the bee did get stuck in the shirt. I set her free from the shirt and she immediately flew up and stung me in the forehead where the stinger did get stuck. So, as far as I am concerned, I did get a partial sting through the shirt.

Quote Originally Posted by Vance G View Post
    If you keep bees it is actually harmfull to be around bees without getting stung regularly. That is the way the allergy strikes.
    Was wondering if you could elaborate on this. I would be interested to hear more.

Quote Originally Posted by popejohnpaul2 View Post
    Was wondering if you could elaborate on this. I would be interested to hear more.
    I'll second this. I'm curious to see the research as this is the first times I'm hearing of this.

Yes, I've had 'partial' stings. To quote myself, "i've had 7 1/2 stings so far this year, only 5 of them full stings". More than that now.
    The partial stings have been anything from feeling a burning scratch through my blue jeans, no stinger left behind, to a sting on the finger through my nitrile gloves, stinger left in the rubber. That sting is easily removed simply by pulling the rubber up a lil bit. Generally partial stings have little or no swelling, only a day or less of itching. I count those as a 1/2 sting. I consider a 'full' sting to be bare skin, sting left pumping, localized swelling and 2 or 3 days of itching.

Quote Originally Posted by Nabber86 View Post
    How did you manage to perform such a feat? That is over 10 stings a month, assuming you did not get stung during the winter months. I don't think I have had over 10 stings per year.
    A combination of watching too many youtube video and being a slow learner. Most of the stings have been on my hands, I just do not like wearing gloves. Although, I did get 8 stings in about 10 five seconds one night when I popped open the lid to change feeding jars with a headlamp on, all of those were on my arms and torso through my shirt.

Quote Originally Posted by rolftonbees View Post

Is is possible to get partially strung.
    Yes, I have had plenty that didn't hit the full mark -- clothing etc. will slow them down.
    Plus, if a bee is stinging me and I kill her in her tracks -- can make for a light sting.

On my arthritic right wrist I always let them give me a full dose.

MB

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast