Who is not squishing the grumpy queens??

Hybrid View

Default Who is not squishing the grumpy queens??

Which one of you? Come on.
    No legit: I just gave a nuc building demo and so many people are hesitant to off their queen. And I am assuming y'all lifting hives with forklifts on pallets aren't necessarily taking the time to seek the most docile queens. Yer drones ain't be making boyfriends to my girls, ya hear?
    I'm being funny, but at the same time, thinking ahead- our farmland will continue to be encroached by suburbs. It's easier to win now by numbers and working docility as a predominant characteristic to breed for than later. First bee death of a child from a hive and we'll all end up paying for it.

Default Re: Who is not squishing the grumpy queens??

I read your post and immediately had the following thoughts:
    what's grumpy to you may not be to others.
    are you assuming the most docile bees are the best bees?
    maybe bees shouldn't be kept in densely populated areas.

i am not squishing any grumpy queens.
    I bought a nice jacket with a pull over hood
    just for that reason.
    out of the 12 hives I had last year I had 1 grumpy one.
    and she produced the most. I'll keep her around.
    thats the way i roll.

More like a crunch than a squish, eh?

I don't tolerate a hot hive; grumpy is a bit of a gray term. I had one that didn't care for the smell of WD40 and/or carb cleaner; I work on old iron and they would go 40-60 feed around the corner and into the shed to express their displeasure. Unacceptable behavior as is significant pining off the veil without a good reason and a crowd following too long after leaving the bee yard.

Yeah the pinching of a queen, a cockroach under foot and a cocking pistol all have a unique sound.

More like beheading with a hive tool for me! I had a swarm I caught the beginning of June. They built out a 10 frame deep real quick and started showing AHB traits. Since I am deep in AHB territory and my colonies are on my land near the house, I decided to requeen. Can't take a chance of my 9yr old daughter or our dogs and cats getting tore up. I took her out and introduced a Hawaiian queen in a push in cage. I guess in a while they should be nice again.
    Curtis Seebeck
    6 colonies in Central Texas

Quote Originally Posted by Eikel View Post
    grumpy is a bit of a gray term.
    The supreme court says being "gray" is OK

But seriously, don't people die from bee stings every year? Honey bees would end up being a small fraction of the bee related deaths each year.....I just don't know how anyone could pin it on a local bee keeper.
    zone 5b
    Back in 2019!

Grumpy old gals get a pass from me since I am also a grumpy old gal. If I have a hive that is a bit cranky I study what I am doing to make them that way, and change my behavior. I suppose one could have the bee-equivalent of a psychotic hive, but I haven't had that experience, yet.

I work gently and slowly, and I usually get gentle and mild in return. I use nitrile gloves and let the bees set the pace. It can take an hour, or more, for me to go through one of my tall stacks. I set all my boxes one-by-one (in reverse order) down on a stack with a cover and their normal top entrance shim so I don't have bees having a hissy fit when they can't find their front door. I use a special technique to avoid squishing any bees when stacking boxes.

Do I sometimes get stung, of course. And do I sometimes get several bees attacking my hands and wrists, of course. But I can usually figure out what has pi**ed them off and either I change tack, or I just soldier on and take it because it has to be done for some reason.

I don't think I would be able to be as tolerant in AHB areas. As it is, my bees are all from swarms (some likely to have been swarms from the abundant feral hives in my area) and they are all long-term survivors as they are my orginal coloinies (and queens) from 2013 - and their open-mated daughters. I'd never consider killiing a queen because the hive was "grumpy."

I always work them with a jacket and veil, and in most circumstances with nitrile gloves, though I am trying to increase my tolerance for bare-handed beekeeping since I need to be able to do that to pass the Master Beekeepeer's exam in a few years. I don't do anything inside the hive without a lit smoker and a few puffs, though it is rare that I use more than that unless I need to hurry them along during a long re-stacking. If I get stung I immediately smoke my hands and gloves.

In my somewhat limited experience grumpy bees are the result of hasty and abrupt beekeepers' actions more often than not. Even when I go to another apiary and their bees seem to be predisposed to be pissy (or are reported by their owner to be that way) I find I can work them in my usual slow and very deliberate way. I suppose I'll get my comeuppance sooner or later.

Enj.

And then there is that one self appointed guard bee for the entire apiary that just will not get out of your face.

Alex
    Ten years of Beekeeping before varroa. Started again spring of 2014.

Quote Originally Posted by clyderoad View Post
    Sometimes the characteristics others need aren't what's valued by you.

10413311_1617132828533219_1432507353867807043_n.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by cgybees View Post
    Sometimes the characteristics others need aren't what's valued by you.
    some of the characteristics "others" want for "everyone" is the issue.

i'm ok with someone squishing their own "grumpy" queens if that's what they want to do
    but i'll decide for myself which queens i replace and why.

Quote Originally Posted by clyderoad View Post
    I am in Texas. Before I started bee keeping I saw nearly everyone on YouTube without bee suits. My thoughts were...... I hope I can get to a comfortable point where I can do that. Wondered how long it would take. I then talked to my first bee keeper. "OH NO, You won't see anyone in the south doing that". Something about the DNA of Africanized bees being in the queens is what I was told. A smaller percentage making them more defensive. I see the YouTube video "The Bee Man" and I now know the difference. Bees up North are certainly more docile from what YouTube has displayed because no way am I going to open my hive up and start pulling frames with out a full bee suit on.

You call it grumpy where as to my bee hive it's probably the norm.