Swarm is at outside of entrance

Default Swarm is at outside of entrance

Well dad called me last night said he had a small swarm. On a low hangin bush. But had no equipment to put it in and asked if if take. Said yes. So first thing this morning he caught them and made the 200 mile trip to my place. Well we hives them and everything was fine. We went out there just a few minutes ago. And they are all clustered outside the entrance by the front left corner of the hive. It's a nuc. And temperature is currently 102 outside. Idk what there doing. Please help me out.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Swarm is at outside of entrance

they are just very hot, let them do this, take a spray bottle of clean drinking water and give them a good spray, it'll help hem

you have a frame of honey you can give them? they might not like the new accomodations. nice dad you got there.

I couldn't help but open the lid. I'd be willing to bet there wasn't 50 bees inside. You still thinkin there too hot? Ya he looks for any excuse he has to get outta the house now that he's retired.

And no I have nothin to give them. 2-3 of the frames are drawn out tho.

This is what they looked like. I just went and spritzed them with some water. I will go out there and check on them in another hr. And maybe spritz them again. They are currently in full sun. But will get shaded here pretty quick. If they do accept this hive. Should I count on them going back in tonight

I always put new swarms in mostly shade, and it doesn't get near 100 here very often. Do you have any open brood you can give them? They are probably looking for a place to go. Open brood, shake them onto the comb and move them to full shade. Way too hot there to be in full sun for a new swarm.

They'd have never chosen a site like you put them in.

try to find the queen. if you do, cage her, and put her inside the hive, leave the outer cover off, and make sure they have a nearby water source. if need be, try dumping them through a queen excluder if you have one. (to find the queen)

I have nothing where I am unfortunately. I moved here recently for a new job. And brought nothing besides this nuc. I sure do wish I had some brood or honey. But it's 200 miles away! Mistake on my part for sure.

They appear to still be in "cluster" mode for swarming and haven't thought of that box as a potential home. Better scoop them in, as it appears the queen isn't inside. You might try the typical drop of lemon grass oil since you have nothing else at the moment. And move to the shade, it's too hot for them. Spritz those frames with 1:1 sugar water since you have no honey.

Is your hive made out of insulation? What about feeding them over the inner cover with sugar syrup? I think you do need to shake those bees in.
    P.S. Sometimes if you wait too long the bees will leave; I've seen it happen.
    Last edited by linn; 06-30-2015 at 09:23 PM. Reason: P.S.

Well after I spritzed them. I went back out about an hr later and there was a couple hundred in the hive and the main cluster had centered up on the entrance but just above it. I was able to scoop them up and put them back in. I moved them again into some good day shade. The lid is cracked and there is only probably 15 bees remaining on the entrance. They have a feeder on them and I was able to spritz the frames. I sure hope they Hang around. No I made the nuc out of pine shelving.

Take one of your drawn combs out and fill one side with syrup. Make a one to one syrup, then poor it into the comb. Do this slowly, it will seep into the cells. You can thump it a bit to dislodge air bubbles as you fill it. Its like filling an ice tray with a million small cubes. Just direct the syrup by tilting and thumpung it as you slowly fill.

Then put this in the nuc.