how long should you feed a new hive?

Default how long should you feed a new hive?

I just started my first new hives (2) this year; I set them up 4/29 and started feeding them sugar water; now two months later they are still taking sugar water, like 4 gallons every 3 or 4 days. Every thing I have heard or read says they will quit taking when they have enough from the environment; but this seems like a lot to me; should I be weaning them off the sugar water or keep feeding them?
    Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: how long should you feed a new hive?

i was told by almost all established keepers to remove the feeding after they have established two brood boxes. This could depend on your configuration. With mine, I fed them till they had a deep and 1 medium combed out. This way, they can build comb and some stores. any new stores going into any added supers after this would probably be nectar for honey production and not sugar syrup.

Do they have nectar/honey stored? That is why you are feeding them or they will not survive August/September.
    americasbeekeeper.com
    [email protected]

Any great queen will lay 6 deeps wall to wall. Probably cannot lay more than that at 2500 eggs/day. Unfortunately queens rarely lay a frame completely with brood if they are given free access. As long as you have 4 honey frames in each box and 6 in the middle are available for laying, I think you can continue feeding. If the queen is running out of space to lay, back off. Lots of syrup is fed to larvae, so don't just suddenly cut it off, but gradually decrease.

thanks, I have 2 mediums that are almost completely filled with honey and brood; about ready to add a super; so I think I going to starting cutting back and within a week or so have them completely wean off of the sugar water.