re-discovered SIMPLE 2 queen method

View Poll Results: (1)Is it a good idea? (2)and, would you use this?

Voters
1. You may not vote on this poll
  • (1) yes

0 0%
  • (1)I don't know

0 0%
  • (1)no

1 100.00%
  • (2)yes

0 0%
  • (2)I don't know

0 0%
  • (2)no

1 100.00%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Lightbulb re-discovered SIMPLE 2 queen method

have a hive u want to combine? have an extra queen and a 3 story hive? never fear, the simple 2 queen method is here! you simply take a 1 or 2 box hive, making sure to trap the queen in the bottom box with a queen excluder, or simply put a second box on, or 1/2 inch shim, with QX in between. then, use the newspaper method, putting a second QX on top. after all this, add your second hive to the very top, queen and all. MAKE SURE THERE IS A TOP EXIT!!!!! it is necessary.

don't feel like auger holes? just invert the bottom board from the #2 hive, add a board to make a porch for them. usually a 2-3 inches is enough.

You can also add a second box to the lower or upper queen chamber, simply make sure you put the QX's so the queens have access to them.

obviously, you can add deeps, mediums, or supers for honey on top of the whole hive.(if you do this it is HIGHLY recommended you use an auger hole in the top brood box)

this method has been tried and true years in the past, but as far as i know, it has widely gone out of use in recent years.
    it is highly recommended because: it gives twice the breeding power(so more honey gathered), two queens- so if one dies the other can be used, for combining 2 hives(if one isn't doing so well, you want to store a queen, or many other reasons that benefit the simple 2 queen method.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: re-discovered SIMPLE 2 queen method

comment if you think its a good idea!

It's extremely labor intensive! Inspection is no picnic either.

its only 2 queen excluders and a PIECE OF NEWSPAPER EXTRA! most 2 queen methods either have u make special equip or u buy it from them! this you can do with almost spare parts! and anyway, its not much harder than normal inspections

Sounds a lot like the Snelgrove method.

I've been told that this is a good method and, yes, it is much like the Snelgrove method. I've not done either, but those beeks I know who have used either gave them up years ago in favor of other, equally useful and less labor-intensive processes.
    Pete. New 2013, 12 hives, zone 6a
    To study and not think is a waste. To think and not study is dangerous.

It works an is not hard or much labor. I use it for weak hives or nucs without having to buy or make extra stuff. It works to make queens too, some times it works sometimes it don't, we call it the way of life...It is no more labor intensive than inspecting two hives..

Assuming that this is for honey production. There are lots of ways to make a hive really strong to boost per hive honey production. The trick is keeping uber strong hives from swarming just when the flow cranks up. A mediocre hive that doesn't swarm will make more honey than a super hive that does. Look to the people who produce honey for a living if you want to produce honey. You won't see a lot of 2 queen hives.

It's a cool thing to try though.
    Since '09-75H-T-Z6b

Quote Originally Posted by David LaFerney View Post
    Assuming that this is for honey production. There are lots of ways to make a hive really strong to boost per hive honey production. The trick is keeping uber strong hives from swarming just when the flow cranks up. A mediocre hive that doesn't swarm will make more honey than a super hive that does. Look to the people who produce honey for a living if you want to produce honey. You won't see a lot of 2 queen hives.

It's a cool thing to try though.
    I'm sure that someone who has 100 hives is not going to want to use a Snelgrove board on each hive. I think for someone with 20 or less hives it would be a way to produce a lot more honey with a little more work and wind up with a doubling of hives at the end of the season for a bonus. After a couple of seasons, there would probably be too many hives to use this method.

I am using Snelgrove boards right now - well, working my way out of them for the season. I have only one still in place.

They work very well, exactly as advertised.

I used them to make splits, and secondarily, to prevent swarming.

The only difficulty is related to doing inspections and supering - some of my stacks got absurdly high. I am eager to get the final stack separated and on its own again.

But I got very nice new queens, no apparent loss of honey production in the original section of the hive, splits without the confusion and mayhem among the bees that occurred when I did them them the conventional way last year, and never any signs of swarm preps despite the parent hives being enormous and strong coming out of winter.

But my three-deep winter stacks grew into unmanageable, five deeps PLUS three or four mediums, skyscrapers during the process (plus depth of the Snelgrove board, top entrance shims, bottom boards etc.)

I think it would work far better if you were starting with small colonies.

That said, I think the Snelgrove board's possibilities are under-appreciated. The switch-y entrance point thing is very subtle.

Enj.

Quote Originally Posted by Slow Drone View Post
    It's extremely labor intensive! Inspection is no picnic either.
    Slow Drone. Did you not read the preceding post? You were only supposed to comment if you thought it was a good Idea.
    Last edited by Barry; 06-24-2015 at 08:58 AM.

My apologies just sharing my experience it won't happen again.

I used 2 queen system over thirty years ago no newspaper no excluders. Take a double deep hive with one honey super put the honey super in between the brood chambers be sure to have eggs in the top brood chamber give them a top entrance facing the opposite of the main entrance. One plus for hobbiest is they will raise very nice queens in the top box and extra queen cells can be harvested. Daughter queens are the best for this system. I used to end up with 4 deep brood chambers 6 supers of honey. I'm still waiting for your positive input Tenbears.

Thanks all who commented! also, it seems to be the best for nucs and 3 box hives w/1 super, if you need to have another super, don't go over 2, or simply just use one. if you add more, i just dont see the point. i mean, if its for HONEY PRODUCTION, why have 3-4 supers atone time??? and enjambes, why do you have a deep in between the queen chambers? a 1/2" shim is plenty of room...

Have you every run a two queen system?

this is a method I have thought about seriously, read a lot about, and am planning on using when my hive gets big enough. if I wasn't sure it was a good idea, I wouldn't have posted it

Just curious that's all! Hope it works out for you. It's primarily used in areas with a long strong nectar flow which you might find in your area. I ran this system years ago just west of Bay City. You'll answer most of your own questions once you try this system, let us know how it turns out for you. Wasn't trying to deter you from trying but you must learn everything in beekeeping isn't without it's downside.

I used to run two queen hives years ago. I did it a little differently; I made sure the queen was in the bottom box, with a super or 2; then I put a screen on top and made an entrance facing the rear. Put the second hive body on top of that, introduce a queen or let them raise one. Super the top box.

But as Slow Drone says, it's a son of a gun to work a hive set up like that. Let the young guys do it.

I also found that if I used my time and energy to make sure my hives were healthy and really strong going into the nectar flow I got as much or more honey than when I tried to "trick" the bees into working a hive with 2 queens.

Having said all that; if you have a hive you want to re-queen later anyway, the 2 queen method can work. Put the new queen in the top box then at the end of the summer flow combine the two bodies making sure you take out the old queen first. Then you get all the fun of breaking your back running a 2 queen hive AND you re-queened your hive at the same time!

Edit: Wait, I forgot. I used to pull the screen after the queen on top was laying well. With a queen excluder over the bottom box you can keep the queens from finding each other....they usually don't anyway with all the supers in between.

Thanks to everyone who posted! as well as thanks to all who viewed this!

This year I started with 2 queen systems, but ended up simply combining two hives before the flow, taking the queen from the second hive with all uncapped brood into a nuc. I only need a queen to raise the brood, and I certainly do not want two queens laying on the flow. So one queen in a double colony limited the brood rearing and helped with the harvest.

Single queens still laid a storm on fresh nectar, but not as much as two, thankfully.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast