Caspian bees - I'd like to learn more about this line of bees - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 41 to 57 of 57
  1. #41
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Sacramento, CA, USA
    Posts
    7,861

    Default Re: Caspian bees - I'd like to learn more about this line of bees

    JM, so you chose bees that do not climb out of their brood nest.
    That means they are not the runny type bees and very calm too.
    It is not the mean AMM black bees that others had claimed here back in the 70's.
    I believe you in that there is no sense to lied on an open forum about such bees in existence here.
    I also read that the AMM forage in rainy, bad weather or later in the evening.
    Do you observe such a foraging behavior of your AMM bees too? I have interest in this bees too. How did the
    queens do when they got shipped to CA? And how do I go to get such queens?
    Don't mix foreign bees into a virgin hive. She might get balled 100% of the time! When will you ever learn, huh?

  2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. #42
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Calgary, Alberta, Canada
    Posts
    152

    Default Re: Caspian bees - I'd like to learn more about this line of bees

    Quote Originally Posted by jean-marc View Post
    Almost forgot, the best and only way to make sure that a thread does not continue, is to make sure that you not contribute.

    Jean-Marc
    Bump for the good advice :>

  4. #43
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Columbus, Georgia, USA
    Posts
    126

    Default Re: Caspian bees - I'd like to learn more about this line of bees

    Quote Originally Posted by cgybees View Post
    Bump for the good advice :>
    I'm not sure I understand.

  5. #44
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Sacramento, CA, USA
    Posts
    7,861

    Default Re: Caspian bees - I'd like to learn more about this line of bees

    They are saying that if you don't want any post/thread to continue, the best advice is to
    not respond to it. Then the conversation will end and the next post will take over.
    You have to read everything to get the feel of things otherwise I would be lost too.
    Don't mix foreign bees into a virgin hive. She might get balled 100% of the time! When will you ever learn, huh?

  6. #45
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Calgary, Alberta, Canada
    Posts
    152

    Default Re: Caspian bees - I'd like to learn more about this line of bees

    Quote Originally Posted by beepro View Post
    They are saying that if you don't want any post/thread to continue, the best advice is to
    not respond to it. Then the conversation will end and the next post will take over.
    You have to read everything to get the feel of things otherwise I would be lost too.
    That's totally what I was saying. (and I'm just responding to this for the amusement value)

  7. #46
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Columbus, Georgia, USA
    Posts
    126

    Default Re: Caspian bees - I'd like to learn more about this line of bees

    Quote Originally Posted by cgybees View Post
    That's totally what I was saying. (and I'm just responding to this for the amusement value)
    I'm so confused.

  8. #47
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    Orange county ny
    Posts
    6

    Default Re: Caspian bees - I'd like to learn more about this line of bees

    What they are implying is the caspian queen line is selected for their ability to produce royal jelly. If they are AMM this would mean a lower progeny queen. This would serve the nothern beekeepers quite well. They are also a longer life bee topping out at 52 day summer life span.
    Phenomenal honey producers in short nectar season areas such as Ireland. I'm giving them a try in the late winter nucs where making up shortly.
    Btw the caspian solution is a great additive to your feed especially, cell builders.
    Cheers
    Tom

  9. #48
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Denver, Colorado, U.S.A.
    Posts
    2,657

    Default Re: Caspian bees - I'd like to learn more about this line of bees

    Since this two-year old thread has bubbled back to the surface; anyone users of Caspian bees have any personal experiences to report?
    --shinbone
    (1975-1980, and now since 2011; maintain about 10 hives; Zone 5b; 15" rain; 5500')

  10. #49
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Location
    Greenwood, WI, USA
    Posts
    62

    Default Re: Caspian bees - I'd like to learn more about this line of bees

    I would be interested in anybody's experience with Caspian Bees. I just put a Caspian queen in one of my splits I made on Friday.
    Zone 4a

  11. #50
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Location
    Dane County, WI, USA
    Posts
    2,158

    Default Re: Caspian bees - I'd like to learn more about this line of bees

    Quote Originally Posted by alf1960 View Post
    I would be interested in anybody's experience with Caspian Bees. I just put a Caspian queen in one of my splits I made on Friday.
    Where did you get it (the Caspian queen)?
    Former "smoker boy". Classic, square 12 frame Dadants >> Ukrainian frame experimentation.

  12. #51
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Location
    Greenwood, WI, USA
    Posts
    62

    Default Re: Caspian bees - I'd like to learn more about this line of bees

    Quote Originally Posted by GregV View Post
    Where did you get it (the Caspian queen)?
    From my brother who got a few with his last order of queens from David Miksa.
    Zone 4a

  13. #52
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    Orange county ny
    Posts
    6

    Default

    Over wintered good in cold climate. Gentle, smart like carni.
    From DM as well
    Luck with em. Housseif is s good bee man bred this NZ ITALIAN to be very successful in royal jelly production and cold climates. 25 plus years selective breeding by a master beekeeper. If Mr Miksa liked them there's a reason.
    Dont listen to the all knowing haters. I ran 42 into winter 34 made it. Sone were 2nd year some first year. F2 open mated with carni mongrel stock did well too.

  14. #53
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Mtn. View, Arkansas, USA
    Posts
    2,709

    Default Re: Caspian bees - I'd like to learn more about this line of bees

    What Ormigon is calling a Caspian is probably a Caucasian. The Caucasus mountains are just west of the Caspian Sea.
    42 + years - 24 colonies - IPM disciple - Naturally Skeptic

  15. #54
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    Orange county ny
    Posts
    6

    Default

    There is no Caspian bee. It's not a caucasian. It's a New Zealand Italian aclsmated to northern climate and bred for royal jelly.
    They dont propaluze like Caucasus.
    Darn good bee in my opinion. But what do I know I only run 200 or so and sell about 100 nuxs and make about 300 qs a year. All in a marginal area. Just my humble etc........

  16. #55
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Location
    Dane County, WI, USA
    Posts
    2,158

    Default Re: Caspian bees - I'd like to learn more about this line of bees

    Quote Originally Posted by Ormigon View Post
    There is no Caspian bee. It's not a caucasian. It's a New Zealand Italian aclsmated to northern climate and bred for royal jelly.
    They dont propaluze like Caucasus.
    Darn good bee in my opinion. But what do I know I only run 200 or so and sell about 100 nuxs and make about 300 qs a year. All in a marginal area. Just my humble etc........
    I checked the Russian side of Google - not a single mention of "Caspian bee".
    If anyone, the Russians would know of it before anyone else.
    Another marketing trick.

    PS: there is Crimean bee; a distinct and separate, natural sub-species it appears.
    Former "smoker boy". Classic, square 12 frame Dadants >> Ukrainian frame experimentation.

  17. #56
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Location
    Greenwood, WI, USA
    Posts
    62

    Default Re: Caspian bees - I'd like to learn more about this line of bees

    Quote Originally Posted by Ormigon View Post
    Over wintered good in cold climate. Gentle, smart like carni.
    From DM as well
    Luck with em. Housseif is s good bee man bred this NZ ITALIAN to be very successful in royal jelly production and cold climates. 25 plus years selective breeding by a master beekeeper. If Mr Miksa liked them there's a reason.
    Dont listen to the all knowing haters. I ran 42 into winter 34 made it. Sone were 2nd year some first year. F2 open mated with carni mongrel stock did well too.
    Thanks. A bee of that description would fit well here in Wisconsin. Regardless of what it is called. I hope it works out well. Time will tell.
    Zone 4a

  18. #57
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Location
    Dane County, WI, USA
    Posts
    2,158

    Default Re: Caspian bees - I'd like to learn more about this line of bees

    It is probably a very good bee.
    Just the name is.... a marketing trick.
    Of course, I would do something similar too if breed my own bee.
    Former "smoker boy". Classic, square 12 frame Dadants >> Ukrainian frame experimentation.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •