Apiara Hive Scale Question

Default Apiara Hive Scale Question

Apiara has just started a project in North Carolina where they will distribute discounted hive scales to a selected group of participants. I've already signed up for this project. A friend of mine recently voiced some concerns that he has about the company itself. Basically, what happens if the company goes out of business? Will the weight sensors just become over priced paper weights when the web servers go down? Is there some way to retrieve the broadcasted information locally or is it completely under Apiara's control?

I'm hoping that people who already have some of the older versions of the hive sensors might have some insight into this since the company seems to be unwilling to respond to these questions.
    Walter

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Apiara Hive Scale Question

I bought one this spring. Data is a little strange at times. Bounces several lbs for no reason. Works ok for trends though. Without being a computer jock I sure assumed it is a fancy paper weight when they disappear. Just a toy for my hobby.

Quote Originally Posted by hevrong View Post
    I bought one this spring. Data is a little strange at times. Bounces several lbs for no reason. Works ok for trends though. Without being a computer jock I sure assumed it is a fancy paper weight when they disappear. Just a toy for my hobby.
    So you can't see the weights at all except on their website?
    Walter

Correct. You can download data into a spreadsheet but need their website or no data.

If the company goes out of business then it's time to hack the scale open and figure out how to coax the raw data out of it. Or just reuse the weight sensor and build a bit of custom electronics to read it and display weight.

I wish they'd send me one!

Quote Originally Posted by BeeBop View Post
    I wish they'd send me one!
    The new self contained wifi units start shipping in August. I expect they'll start selling them shortly after that.
    Walter

How much do these cale costs? How accurate are they?
    --shinbone
    (1975-1980, and now since 2011; maintain about 10 hives; Zone 5b; 15" rain; 5500')

They have a web site. Couple hundred bucks.

They are only as accurate as the assumptions used. I. It is a small load cell placed in the exact back middle of the hive. Then two spacer blocks are installed on the sides an exact distance from the front of the hive. Then the bees fill the hive perfectly symmetrically. Then they are very accurate. At least until the temperature changes or the wind blows and you get data that bounces several lbs. as I said above only truly good for trending. But they do that well.

They are releasing new models soon (for testing) that are self contained single units. No more wires going from a central unit to remote weight sensors. I know the older models were about $500.00 for the central unit with 4 sensors. Haven't seen any estimates on cost for the new models or when they expect the testing to be complete.
    Walter

Quote Originally Posted by wgstarks View Post
    Apiara has just started a project in North Carolina where they will distribute discounted hive scales to a selected group of participants. I've already signed up for this project. A friend of mine recently voiced some concerns that he has about the company itself. Basically, what happens if the company goes out of business? Will the weight sensors just become over priced paper weights when the web servers go down? Is there some way to retrieve the broadcasted information locally or is it completely under Apiara's control?

I'm hoping that people who already have some of the older versions of the hive sensors might have some insight into this since the company seems to be unwilling to respond to these questions.
    I believe Alex is a one man show at this point. There are risks of small operations - you've identified one. I don't foresee the company going under any time soon but it is hard to imagine the technology won't be eclipsed by someone else eventually. Will Apiara be around in 25 years? I doubt it.

I didn't pay for my scale (grant from Allagash Brewing for a set number of hives in Maine) - I look at it for trends more than anything - I love watching flows - nectar collection by day and evaporation at night.

It did pick up on my setting a hive tool and smoker on top yesterday when I was going through an adjacent hive.

http://members.apiara.com/0c2a6906e9de

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Dewey View Post
    I didn't pay for my scale (grant from Allagash Brewing for a set number of hives in Maine) - I look at it for trends more than anything - I love watching flows - nectar collection by day and evaporation at night.
    Do you have to pay a recurring fee for the website? Just curious since I found out that a potion of the up front money that I paid was for one year of maintenance on the website.
    Walter

interesting - their website has been modified and mentions that the early customers get "Free Premium Features For Life + Huge Discounts on Hardware Upgrades" - no clue what that means but I sure thought I was free data for ever - since nothing was ever mentioned about a fee.

Does imply a future fee though?

hmmmmmmm

Guess I should really send Alex another email.
    Walter

Accuracy also depends on the equipment used.

I checked the website, I couldn't find info on price, accuracy, precision, etc.

I would love to see a regular readout on the weight of one of my hives. It would have to work well enough so I could monitor the flow. Someone above mentioned a cost of $500. Unfortunately, $500 is a non-starter for me, especially for equipment of unspecified capabilities.
    --shinbone
    (1975-1980, and now since 2011; maintain about 10 hives; Zone 5b; 15" rain; 5500')

Old post I know, but relevant now.

Looks like Apiara has stopped supporting their product (monitoring website down, no responses to support questions).

Does anyone have any information about them?

Also, has anyone attempted to intercept the call that pumps the data out to the cloud? It goes through your wifi then out to the internet so in theory it should be visible but I haven't tried yet.
    Last edited by sallred; 03-09-2016 at 06:03 PM.