My first frame with foundation. My evolution as a beekeeper. I feel kind of dirty. - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Default Re: My first frame with foundation. My evolution as a beekeeper. I feel kind of dir

I find myself going down the same path and coming to similar conclusions...

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: My first frame with foundation. My evolution as a beekeeper. I feel kind of dir

It's incredible being able to, for the most part, plop frames in and not have to worry about tearing really fresh barely attached comb and pinch it back on center 10 times during each inspection. Foundationless has a place, don't get me wrong. I think it's great for giving them a good place to put drone comb without them building burr between frames. My fully foundationless colonies (while young only two years old) haven't built any burr comb at all. I will probably put a foundationless frame into most of my colonies next spring to help satisfy their urge to make drones. Plus, I don't mind more drones around for my queens to mate with.

I don't have the colony numbers to truly saturate the area... but I am well positioned to influence the genetics in the area if I get big enough to do so. I'm under no illusions that my 13 colonies are doing anything special. But I have some bees like I like... so I'm going to spread them around and make more of them.

I have been frustrated with the all plastic frames. I just can't get bees to draw them very well. They like to strip the wax and move it elsewhere. They don't seem to do that with the Rite Cell. I put the same amount of extra wax on each kind so I don't know why that is. Foundation has it's share of drawbacks, but I understand pretty well at this point why the beekeeping brains of the time used it.

Between my limited first year knowledge of bees, I've found the bees built well on all plastic, but they haven't done all I am aspiring for. The plastic, if its fully drawn, works very well as JUST worker comb. Bees need their odds and ends of pure wax home made comb. You don't always eat store bought pre-made food? So, a little homemade always tastes better. Next fall, I'm going to add plastic frame supers, and see what happens.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123