Swarm in Garage want to move back to my small bee yard.. any advice...

Default Swarm in Garage want to move back to my small bee yard.. any advice...

So one of my hives, of two, swarmed it appears as they have taken up residence in my Garage in spare deep hive bodies.

So my question is this..

1. I will move them after dusk tonight when they have all settled into the hive body, as they are busy coming and going. I think they swarmed and ended up in the Garage yesterday, my wife said she heard buzzing and thought it was flies she did not go look.

2. My real question is this... will they stay in their new home if I move them back into the bee yard adjacent to the hives the swarmed from. I only have two, so since they seem to have settled into this hive and are coming and going. I assume a move of approx 100' feet they will stay with the new hive in the place I set it likely correct?

Since there are sevaral deeps in the garage not sure where or what exactly they have settled into. But I am sure come tonight they will be settled in around the queen and she may even be one of my marked queens. I hope not as she is new, if so they I still have her!!!

Any advise is great..

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Swarm in Garage want to move back to my small bee yard.. any advice...

I would imagine there would be some drifting back to the original hive, but from what I've read and been told if you put something in front of the entrance (lawn furniture, some big sticks, cardboard at an angle) they will realize that it is different and re orientate themselves to this hive. You don't want to block the entrance, just force them to take notice of their surroundings.

Default Re: Swarm in Garage want to move back to my small bee yard.. any advice...

The problem is they have orientated to the garage so some may return to that location and cluster after dark once moved. I would set them up in a hive and staple a queen excluder over the entrance or between the box and bottom board. then place a leafy branch in front of the entrance to force the bees to reorient. and you should be good to go. once you see some brood you can remove the excluder.

I've used the excluder trick like tenbears suggested and it kept the swarm from leaving. I usually only leave it 4 or 5 days and no longer. By then they should have comb built and some eggs in the comb unless you start with drawn comb, then you'll have eggs and brood faster. You've got to watch drones getting trapped in the excluder also. I had one swarm about three weeks ago that must have had a thousand drones in it. I didn't get the excluder off until the seventh day and it was almost completely blocked with dead and dying drones. I sifted through the dead and dying but didn't find a dead queen luckily! Now the swarm is doing fine but it gave me a scare at first. Good luck getting them moved!

Saint-Denis de La Réunion (France Indian Ocean)

close the hive at night ,leaving them some ventilation but no escape.
    leave them 3 days like this
    then move the hive at the destination place and place a bush in front of the entrance so the are forced to reorient themselves.

https://youtu.be/bxZ4uEgRRZg

the technique