Absconded- My Bees Left with the Queen

Default Absconded- My Bees Left with the Queen

4 days after my Package install with a half comb built - in the morning they were there in the afternoon all were gone...
    Why? Why?

I got them late and not much Nectar around? I fed them Pollen patties and Sugar water. The Hive may have been too Big?
    gave them about 10 bars room from the Queen cage. I only bothered them to fill the feeder. ...........Why would they Leave...............

I loved them Bees...Should I try to get another package or just wait until next Year next Spring.. I'd like to try again this Year.........Any advice at all.........?

BTB

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Absconded- My Bees Left with the Queen

Just curious - what kind of bottom board do you have on that hive? Screened bottom, perhaps?

Packages at this time of year are probably less readily available, but nucs may be easier to find.
    Graham
    USDA Zone 7A Elevation 1400 ft

I have a Screened Bottom board with Sticky board under the screen -- BUT -- I have that screen completely closed off by a wooden bottom board and the sides closed off on hinges.. There is no draft - no Air at all coming up from the bottom or sides.

It's just like a solid bottom board and I open the side hinges and slide the sticky board out for mite checks. I will say I did bother them too much and I ran a weed wacker and mower around their hive that morning. They drew 1\2 comb took the Queen and left. Should I try again this year.. any smart advise to offer..?

Find a nuc nearby and save yourself the expense of loosing another package. What Radar said.

beethebee. I do not know where in pa you are, it's a big state, OH excuse me Commonwealth. LOL Anyway we are in the midst of a good flow now, my bees are filling a super in a week. I would have voted for the screened Bottom board (SBB) being the cause but if it is closed off I would not think so. The truth is you may never know the true reason they absconded. As others have stated a nuc may be the way to go at this point. The bees in Pa are still swarming so you do have time to get a package up to strength by winter if you can find one.

Quote Originally Posted by Rader Sidetrack View Post
    Just curious - what kind of bottom board do you have on that hive? Screened bottom, perhaps?
    Rader, How did you know? You must be psychic!

I'm not psychic, although perhaps some might think I'm psychotic.

Note that in post #3 the OP says that the screened bottom was closed off in this case. Still, there are quite a few reports on Beesource of new packages absconding from hives with open screened bottoms. For those that choose to use open screened bottoms, close them off at least until the new packages have brood.
    Graham
    USDA Zone 7A Elevation 1400 ft

You can get a Nuc or try calling a pest control and get on their swarm list. They may call you when they have a reported swarm in your area.