re - orientation of vertical comb into strips for Langstroth frame?

Default re - orientation of vertical comb into strips for Langstroth frame?

We all know that when constructing comb, the bees 'cant' the comb slightly upward on both sides (I'll guess ~10 degrees?), making the two sides of comb form a slight 'V.'

When doing an extraction from inside a wall, we all know the comb runs up and down inside the wall forming vertical strips, about 3.5" - 4" wide. As I cut comb out and use rubber bands to capture and hold the comb in a Langstroth frame, rather than have only two short vertical strips of comb partially filling in the width of the frame, can I rotate the comb 90 degrees and put the strips in lengthwise, and save a lot of time and effort and more efficiently put the comb in the hive?

I understand that liquid honey would more easily run out the comb, but all I really care about for the time being is whether the brood will survive this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: re - orientation of vertical comb into strips for Langstroth frame?

From what I've read they will abandon comb wrongly oriented. What I do is staple 1"x2" rabbit wire on the frame. It is bent in a "U" shape so that you can stab the comb on. That way you can load them all the way across the frame.

Quote Originally Posted by S4 basics View Post
    <snip> What I do is staple 1"x2" rabbit wire on the frame. It is bent in a "U" shape so that you can stab the comb on. That way you can load them all the way across the frame.
    Next time you are doing that I so wish you take a pic and post it. thx

See the photos in post #13 of this thread ....
    https://www.beesource.com/forums/show...omb-to-a-frame
    Graham
    USDA Zone 7A Elevation 1400 ft

Exactly. Thank you Radar.

It is a good idea to line it up the same as it was, but not necessary. The brood will still emerge. The bees will most likely still use the comb. The Heddon hive was flipped upside down every week or so and the queen still laid in it and they still stored honey in it...

I've seen backward sloped cells in the observation hive filled with honey and even with brood. It's the surface tension of the honey that holds it in.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 42y 40h 39yTF

Thanks to every one of you who replied - I learned something from every one of you. I am keen to go get some of that chicken wire and tweak that idea. That looks sooooooo cool.